I’m calling the peak

Part of my issue is a plane purchase would be solely for me.

Does your wife not fly with you? I did the first one day beach trip with the family today. 1 hour flight instead of 3-4 hour drive. A couple landed ahead of us and offered us a ride into town. Married 51 years, flying to their beach house every weekend. It really excited my wife for the possibilities of aircraft ownership. She has not been a big fan of flying, but it is growing on her real fast.

Does your wife not fly with you?...

"Solely" is not the right word. "Mostly" is better. Yes, my wife flies w/ me. She has enjoyed the very few destination flights we've taken. However, I've never really viewed flying as a means of travel. The saying, "if you have extra time, fly", describes my flying philosophy. I have my instrument rating but I'm still pretty conservative about the weather in which I fly. Flying for travel, for me and my wife, is probably doable once we retire and don't have places to be. Before then, I expect it wouldn't take too many occurrences of delays or getting stuck somewhere for her to sour on flying. A boat, on the other hand, would be used weekly, she could take it out herself, etc.

It’s been a month… how we doing? Have we piqued? Time to buy a plane yet?

Very true, but we have never had this unprecedented shut down of natural reasorces to be used to produce energy and the mass push for EV.

The Russian oil supply is only ten percent, That doesn’t add up to equal a $2.00 a gal increase in prices.

AG, back in his day, stated that “ the IC engine is the worst thing ever invented”
That is the push, get rid of oil
Nobody is considering the impact on GA planes and pilots or the industries that support us except us as those involved in those industries.

We just don't have enough votes to matter.

"Solely" is not the right word. "Mostly" is better. Yes, my wife flies w/ me. She has enjoyed the very few destination flights we've taken. However, I've never really viewed flying as a means of travel. The saying, "if you have extra time, fly", describes my flying philosophy. I have my instrument rating but I'm still pretty conservative about the weather in which I fly. Flying for travel, for me and my wife, is probably doable once we retire and don't have places to be. Before then, I expect it wouldn't take too many occurrences of delays or getting stuck somewhere for her to sour on flying. A boat, on the other hand, would be used weekly, she could take it out herself, etc.
I had a friend that was in the boat industry in a big way.

He said the first year you have a boat you'll be on the water at least 3 out of four weekends if the weather is nice.

Second year, about half that much.

After five years, the boat generally sits idle about ten months a year and gets very little use during the two months they are used.

Barring bad weather you can take a one to four hour flight 7 days a week and it's a fantastic way to see the country and meet a lot of interesting folks along the way.

Last edited:

He said the first year you have a boat you'll be on the water at least 3 out of four weekends if the weather is nice.

Send year, about half that much.

After five years, the boat generally sits idle about ten months a year and gets very little use during the two months they are used.

Barring bad weather you can take a one to four hour flight 7 days a week and it's a fantastic way to see the country and meet a lot of interesting folks along the way.
Lol that hits a little too close to home. My boat is sitting in my in-laws shed broken down right now. It broke last summer and I've been to busy flying all over the place to fix it. Boating seems less exciting when I can be anywhere east of the rockies in six hours.

Lol that hits a little too close to home. My boat is sitting in my in-laws shed broken down right now. It broke last summer and I've been to busy flying all over the place to fix it. Boating seems less exciting when I can be anywhere east of the rockies in six hours.
I really like the light sea planes but finding enough water to land them on in SW Texas would be a chore.

I have done some fishing from float planes in the past and it was a blast. If the fish weren't biting we just hit another lake.

Second year, about half that much.

Fairly true. The other thing is, with a sail boat, you need to do at least 3 different uses. Daysailing is fine, but if you only do that, you will get bored. Racing is great fun, but then, sailing is not relaxing. Cruising takes time. There are other things, but if you only do 1 or 2, it gets old.

Same with flying. When you are starting out, any flying is great. But you get tired of doing pattern work. So you start going to $100 (or $200 these days) hamburgers. But again, it gets old. So you need to do some traveling.

Also, the funny thing about boats is, people in Canada use their boats more often than those in Florida. In Canada, the boat goes into the water the first day all the ice is gone and comes out when the ice forms. And they sail every available day. In FL, they say, let's go sailing, and then its, we have to go to the grocery store, we can sail tomorrow. Like the concept of Manana. :D

Good points @O2 Birddog. We had a boat for three years. Our use did not drop off like that. We used it most every weekend. We would try to beat the crowds to the lake on Friday, anchoring in one of several favorite coves, not pulling up anchor until late Sunday. I had a gas grill and a stove so meals weren't compromised. Actually, there's something about eating on the water that makes the meal better. Maybe our usage pattern made it more of a lake house than a boat.

Fairly true. The other thing is, with a sail boat, you need to do at least 3 different uses. Daysailing is fine, but if you only do that, you will get bored. Racing is great fun, but then, sailing is not relaxing. Cruising takes time. There are other things, but if you only do 1 or 2, it gets old.

Same with flying. When you are starting out, any flying is great. But you get tired of doing pattern work. So you start going to $100 (or $200 these days) hamburgers. But again, it gets old. So you need to do some traveling.

not true. For some people, flying NEVER gets old. Not ever

For the first 10yrs we used the bowrider almost every weekend, it was a blast. But after the girl graduated and went off to college, she and her friends are no longer interested in going out and boating, tubing, etc., like they used to. This summer the boat has been out only three times and that's kinda sad. Also, I've gotten back into sailboat racing in a big way, so I'm spending all of my on water time racing and practicing.

I'll think about it over the winter, but I think the powerboat goes up for sale next spring.

For the first 10yrs we used the bowrider almost every weekend, it was a blast. But after the girl graduated and went off to college, she and her friends are no longer interested in going out and boating, tubing, etc., like they used to. This summer the boat has been out only three times and that's kinda sad. Also, I've gotten back into sailboat racing in a big way, so I'm spending all of my on water time racing and practicing.

I'll think about it over the winter, but I think the powerboat goes up for sale next spring.
The time to sell it would've been this spring. I'm kind of kicking myself for not liquidating mine. It's probably only worth about 8k though, so it's not like the opportunity cost is going to move the needle.

Selling? What are you thinking of getting to replace it ?

The time to sell it would've been this spring. I'm kind of kicking myself for not liquidating mine. It's probably only worth about 8k though, so it's not like the opportunity cost is going to move the needle.

Yup, sold mine last summer, had people chasing me down the street waving money at me. Had it 10 years and sold it for $1K less than I paid new.

But like you said, $8K, you can blow that on a whim in an avionics shop.

Good points @O2 Birddog. We had a boat for three years. Our use did not drop off like that. We used it most every weekend. We would try to beat the crowds to the lake on Friday, anchoring in one of several favorite coves, not pulling up anchor until late Sunday. I had a gas grill and a stove so meals weren't compromised. Actually, there's something about eating on the water that makes the meal better. Maybe our usage pattern made it more of a lake house than a boat.
I suspect you're right. That's more like a cabin on pontoons. We were talking specifically about the ski and speed boats.

Selling? What are you thinking of getting to replace it ?

I picked up a 19ft Flying Scot dingy for an excellent price this past spring, and am getting back into small sailboat racing.

I picked up a 19ft Flying Scot dingy for an excellent price this past spring, and am getting back into small sailboat racing.
You live in Atlanta....right? Are you sailing on Lake Lanier?

I went to their factory (not far from 2G4) about 15 years ago. They had a video showing iirc 23 knots in a Rhode Island race. Crazy seeing it on a plane like that

I have a 22' Pontoon I bought new in 2018. I think I could get close to what I paid for it today. I live on the lake, the only time it's used is when my granddaughter and I go to dinner

I went to their factory (not far from 2G4) about 15 years ago. They had a video showing iirc 23 knots in a Rhode Island race. Crazy seeing it on a plane like that
They build those at Deep Creek? Interesting. Grew up in that region and never knew.

not true. For some people, flying NEVER gets old. Not ever

Do you only fly in the pattern? Or only go to nearby $100 hamburgers.

It is not that flying gets old, but doing the same thing over and over, even if it involves flying.

We had a Laser 28. 28 foot keel boat that had a planing hull. We have clocked 18.5 knots. Over that, the speedo transducer was out of the water. :D

Do you only fly in the pattern? Or only go to nearby $100 hamburgers.

It is not that flying gets old, but doing the same thing over and over, even if it involves flying.

I fly to fly. I don't care about the destination. I fly for the pure love of flying.

So some might make a face, sniff, look down their nose, and say that I'm doing the same 1 to 2 hour flight over and over and over. I don't care. I love to fly.

I've done numerous flight that don't qualify as cross crounty because I don't even do a T&G anywhere, but just loved flying over the lake, over the low hills (my 140 isn't going to be good in the mountains, even the little ones in New England), along the coast.

It never gets old.

we are not there yet, based on what I've been looking at lol.

Prices may not be coming down, but it seems like overall prices have stopped the ridiculous rate of increase. Or just wishful thinking....

Yeah, I saw a PA-28-161 at 149k. But it was for sale, not sold. That’s a “but honey, I listed the plane for sale” price.

Prices may not be coming down, but it seems like overall prices have stopped the ridiculous rate of increase. Or just wishful thinking....
I, and my broker, would agree that it seems to have stabilized with many of the unreasonably unreasonable priced planes sitting on the market or selling at a bit less than asking. I'm in the process of buying a 182S and negotiated a fair price less than published asking. Still unreasonable compared to the market 4 years ago but reasonable price in today's market. I'll probably suffer a 'loss' when I sell it but time is a tickin' and "I ain't wastin' time no mo" to paraphrase the Allman Bros.

Back