Hyde/Washington Exec/W32

flyingron

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingRon
Just heard on reddit that Hyde is closing at the end of the year.

Just heard on reddit that Hyde is closing at the end of the year.

I was based there 17 years ago. I’m surprised it lasted that long. Looked all-but-closed back then. Crosswind runway had been closed for some kind of excavation.

I was based there 17 years ago. I’m surprised it lasted that long. Looked all-but-closed back then. Crosswind runway had been closed for some kind of excavation.
The whole surroundings are a giant gravel pit.

I think for a long time Stan Fetter was the only thing keeping the place alive.

There's a writer named Stuart Woods, allegedly a citation pilot, who works some GA stuff into his books. I rolling on the floor when he described "Washington Executive" airport like it was some high-class reliever airport for DC with a main character landing his jet there. He gets most of what he writes about in DC (ostensibly his character is based out of NYC, so I can't tell how valid that is) is completely wrong. He takes liberties with lots of ATC stuff (though I might grant him that poetic license so he can get the story to work).

Made it impossible for GA with all the rules. They just don’t want little airports in the DC area

Made it impossible for GA with all the rules. They just don’t want little airports in the DC area
That’s part of it, but the owner of the airport (Stan is the manager, fwiw) refuses to spend a dime on improvements that would attract users. I’m based next door at Potomac Airfield, which is unique in its own respects, but is geographically limited. Hyde would actually make a decent reliever airport, but neither the owner, the county or anyone else have any interest in investing in it.

Bummer. I did my RH rating at Hyde. And it was a nice field with a lot of activity.

..Stuart Woods…
Died earlier this year.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...-stone-barrington-novels-dies-84/10169258002/

Yes, certificated airman.
1fbe9633db3ddc64c55f8c48b540e74a.png

Damn… I remember driving past Hyde as a kid looking at all the airplanes… to be honest though I’m surprised it lasted this long.. even 20 years ago when I flew out of Potomac and did pattern work there it needed a refresh. Is Stan still around running things through the end of the year?

r/Flying. Subject "Maryland-2 Airports now." (u/DMVgunnit) This was the entire message:

Hyde Field (W32) is closing by the end of the year. I’m based there, sucks to lose another GA airport close to Washington DC.

It was followed up with:
Stan is still there but presumably only for the next few months as the property turns over ownership.

Wow, as much money as the "good" doctor extracted from that property, surprised it is a bankruptcy thing. Or, maybe not, businessmen do have their tactics.

Maybe I'll win the Powerball and buy the place and become Stan's boss instead of the historical vice versa! :D

Maybe I'll win the Powerball and buy the place and become Stan's boss instead of the historical vice versa! :D

If I won Powerball the last thing I'd do would be invest it in the DC Metro area. They'll get their cut! Although I do love the idea of taking a billion dollars and going bankrupt with an airport. :D

I was based variously at College Park, Fort Meade, Freeway, Andrews AFB, and the old Suburban Airport in Laurel - and went into Hyde only once in all those years. It needed work, to be kind.

Wow… Since it’s official I wonder how long until homes start popping up around the property… I hope Potomac can ride it out I have a lot of fond memories flying out of there.

If it got to the point that it made Suburban look good, that is pretty bad.
Suburban perked up the last few years before it was killed - guys installed new fabric hangars, etc. The useless (and redundant) MD state aviation people insisted on a displaced threshold which was duly painted on - and ignored.

Did they ever get the trees trimmed/cut?

My buddy was in a partnership in a Cherokee 180 there. Hangar was on a serious slope. Had to use a winch to get it into the hangar. Out was easy, but careful you did not run over anyone. :D

Yep, got a message from Stan where he is selling a lot of the remaining stuff. Need some above ground fuel pump/tanks? etc...

Back