Hybrid Headset...

Billnye

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Nye
Hi everyone,
I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a pair of 'in ears' or molded in ear monitors as they're called and that I would like to use them in lieu of a headset. You've seen musician's wear them - they look like this:

Rather than up grade to some noise canceling headsets that would run me a few hundred dollars, I figured I might as well use the sound canceling in ears I already paid for. The only missing component is the microphone.

The best thing I have come across so far is (http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/aviation-headsets/clarity-aloft-pro-plus-headset.html)
headset-the-pro-plus_grande_fdbe6f06-6f9e-497b-b1cb-78281542a438_grande.jpg

It's a headset that comes with the microphone and ear set from sporty's but I only want the microphone. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could set up a microphone? Maybe a public speaking microphone headset or something similar? Any electronic guys that could help me out there?

Any major consequences you see using this particular setup?

Some details on setting up a mike:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/h_headset.html

Mike boom made out of two strands of 12 gauge Romex. I built another one a month or so ago, with a single strand of Romex and using a U-173/U connector to plug right into the microphone element and eliminate the need for a mike holder.

I recommend buying a regular aviation mike element instead of trying to adapt something else. They're pretty cheap, $30-$60.

You'll need to build an impedance matcher to use your in-ear monitors with an aviation radio...see the ear bud section in the above web page.
ear_bud.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Instead of an impedance matching transformer, simply use an in-line earbud volume control. I did the same thing you're planning, only using a set of Shure earbuds and a Bose aviation mic I bought on eBay. Works great.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the input. I don't want to do too much DIY because I don't want to have any problems in the air (I'm also not too good with electrical DIY). I'm thinking about just putting an in-line volume control to control the volume of my headset (in ears) and then using a headset microphone with an adapter to fit the mic input.

I've read that I need a phantom powered microphone. Is this true for the Bose style microphones and/or headset mics? Could I get away with an unpowered headset mic / basic mic from guitar center as long as I use an adapter?

I've read that I need a phantom powered microphone. Is this true for the Bose style microphones and/or headset mics? Could I get away with an unpowered headset mic / basic mic from guitar center as long as I use an adapter?
The aircraft mike standard was developed in the '20s, based on the carbon button microphones used on telephones. Other mike elements can be used, but for GA, they have to be compliant with the carbon-button standard. This often requires a bit of power, which modern radio manufacturers supply. It's called "bias power," and is applied to the mike lines themselves rather than a separate wire.

Whether the mike from a non-aviation source will work depends on whether the mike element is compatible with the bias power. Give it a try if you like, I don't believe the mismatch will damage anything, though it may not work. Some radio manufacturers, like Icom, build radios for different markets, and are likely to be a bit more tolerant.

However, the non-aviation mike may not have noise cancellation. Aviation mike elements put sound input slots on both sides of the microphone. When sound enters both sides of the microphone at once, it cancels out. When you talk into just one side, then your dulcet tones are the only sounds that make it into the ether. Most "civilian" mikes are omnidirectional or carotid patterns, and your voice may be overcome by engine noise.

Ron Wanttaja

Back