Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Fly by Night - Huntsville, AL - Nov. 1, 2017
November 1, 2017 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Embassy Suites 800 Monroe St SW Huntsville, AL 35801-5576

AOPA membership not required to attend.

Fly by Night

Especially in light aircraft, flying after dark comes with real trade-offs. Smooth air, better performance, and stunning views are great—but they’re offset by trickier landings, invisible terrain, and limited emergency options. So what’s the key to staying safe after sundown?

ASI’s new seminar looks at night flying from a risk management perspective. Using decades of accident data, we identify common problems and recommend the best ways to avoid them. Along the way, we talk about:

• Requirements for pilots and aircraft
  • Unique flight planning considerations
  • Why all nights are not created equal
  • Things that can take you by surprise

IF I attend and drive up, be glad to pick you up at the airport. Otherwise I guess taxi, Uber/Lyft.

Any POAers going? I'm thinking about it but son's wife expecting around then so up in the air.

I might be interested in this. Sounds like it would be a good seminar. Odd they choose to have it where they do. Google Maps shows a 12 mile drive from MDQ. Ever flown into there?

Being as late in the evening as it is, I might be able to work something out with a crew car. I will consider this.

Last edited:
We are having the same seminar near Charlotte in Monroe NC on October 30. I plan on attending that one.

I might be interested in this. Sounds like it would be a good seminar. Odd they choose to have it where they do. Google Maps shows a 12 mile drive from MDQ. Ever flown into there?

Being as late in the evening as it is, I might be able to work something out with a crew car. I will consider this.

Flew into MDQ probably at least 25 years ago. Think the airport done grew up. That area has seen a boom in growth for awhile now.

Flew into MDQ probably at least 25 years ago. Think the airport done grew up. That area has seen a boom in growth for awhile now.
Roger. I’ll keep this on the back burner and revisit as it gets closer. I might try to make it.

Roger. I’ll keep this on the back burner and revisit as it gets closer. I might try to make it.

Embassy Suites is kinda downtown, just west of downtown city center, in Huntsville itself. MDG is NE of there about 10 miles at the mot I believe.

Embassy Suites is kinda downtown, just west of downtown city center, in Huntsville itself. MDG is NE of there about 10 miles at the mot I believe.
Are you planning to attend?
We are having the same seminar near Charlotte in Monroe NC on October 30. I plan on attending that one.
Yeah, but this one is in Alabama, so it will be much much better. And if I go, than it will just be the icing on the cake.

Are you planning to attend?

Yeah, but this one is in Alabama, so it will be much much better.[/QUOTE]

I just might. Now that you shut 'Dog down with your last comment. :D

Well, I mean anything in Alabama is going to be better than NC. Am I right??

oh man this might be a good one. I might try to attend. Since Ill have to fly back after dark I hope it doesn't deter me from that flight. Don't want to be stuck in AL for any longer than I have to.

oh man this might be a good one. I might try to attend. Since Ill have to fly back after dark I hope it doesn't deter me from that flight. Don't want to be stuck in AL for any longer than I have to.
Yeah, that will be the kicker for me as well. Due to the time change, it will be night there and back. Will have to see as it gets closer.

do these seminars ever make it online for those that can not make it?

Cool..ill have to check some out. Some of the weather webinars I can't do because I'm at work. Will be nice to find them and watch them.

Back