Hudson SFRA suggestions?

drummer4468

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
drummer4468
Hey all,

Super excited to finally cross the Hudson SFRA off my bucket list next week. Anyone with experience have any pointers on the best way to go about it?

I'll be coming from the north, so think I'll take the VFR corridor south, turn around the statue of liberty, head back northbound and ask approach if I can cut through the bravo westbound to land at Lincoln Park N07.

Alternately I could request the skyline route down the hudson, then up the east river and westbound over central park toward NJ. I just don't want to diminish the wow factor by climbing 500-1000' higher than needed over the river.

Any input is appreciated!

I've flown it once...and it's amazing. There is a thread on this subject somewhere. To your particular questions, I'd suggest the low route rather than skyline, and I'd do it daytime first. I wouldn't try to get permission to exit SFRA and go direct to Lincoln. That would more or less put you over TEB I think, and don't think they'd do it. Instead, just turn left when you're north of the SFRA, you'll be under the B at that point anyway, so just fly direct to N07. I took a CFI along, but didn't really need to. I just wanted a second set of eyes, and the experience of someone who'd done it a few times before along. I would re-read the FAA stuff on it, and probably look at google maps first to make sure you stay oriented and are aware of all the reporting points.

Thanks @Albany Tom. Yeah, I'm all read up on the FAA material and am plenty comfortable working with ATC. Just wanted a feel for how long of a leash they'd give me through the bravo. Ideally I'd love to cut through somewhere between TEB and EWR, for the simple sake of overflying my old hometown on the way to Lincoln Park. But completely ready for a stern "no".

Thanks for the insight!

I just did it two weeks ago. If you are bored, you can view the raw footage on Youtube from a 360 unedited in 4 parts

We flew at 1150 both N and S If you circle the statue keep your eyes open. I think it's easier to fly down the VZ to turn Northbound and the preferred method. You have to watch for stadium TFR they block the entire corridor

Did it last week… breathtaking! A lot of „traffic, traffic“ - mostly sightseeing helos all over the place, but no problem to spot and potentially avoid them.

Some links:

https://www.aopa.org/images/asf/HudsonPPT07Version.pdf

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/775/kneeboard.pdf

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/alc/course_content.aspx?cID=79&sID=389

Quote:
Circling Statue of Liberty:
Do so at the highest practical altitude below 1,000 feet MSL
• Circle in a counter-clockwise direction
• Be aware that local helicopter tour operators fly an irregular
pattern near the Statue of Liberty at approximately 500 feet
• Remain especially vigilant for other traffic in the vicinity of the Statue of Liberty

Enjoy the views!

Attachments

• AF93AE73-B393-49C0-8598-CAFA9F352610.jpeg
    AF93AE73-B393-49C0-8598-CAFA9F352610.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Take @Albany Tom ’s advice and have another pilot along. Even a CFI. The airspace is visually spectacular! You will be a spectator, not a pilot. So bring along another set of eyes !

-Skip

I took a buddy of mine from New York and flew it from the DC area as a novice pilot, under 200hrs. After reviewing the FAA material, I marked the mandatory reporting points on my map in Foreflight. I also watched a few videos since I had never been to the area so I could recognize the landmarks. Being from the area it should be a piece of cake for you. I didn’t try to deviate through the bravo. Probably the coolest thing I’ve done with my certificate so far!

453D45DD-FF5C-4A83-A5EA-0DA9DEE33C2D.jpeg

I really want to do this soon.

I have made the trip from Ohio to NY twice now. It was awesome. I have only done it 1000 and below. The coms part and looking out for traffic wasn't too bad. My first trip traffic was minimal due to going right after the Yankee's game TFR ended. both trips I have done a couple laps from the VZ to GWB. The only remotely "tricky" part is crossing over from one side to the other. Turning around by the GWB its a bit of a steep turn, but not horrible. Good luck!!

Super easy. I usually go under the bravo to add more flexibility. Just make sure to announce on the CTAF your mandatory reporting points. It’s also very nice at night

I think the EAST RIVER IS restricted to helicopter traffic.

Ah, just realized this thread had more replies! Thank you all for your input, super stoked to fly it this weekend!

Have a great flight - it's a fantastic experience. Coming back north, when you take a left turn to go east you're cutting right through the TEB arrivals or departures, so be aware of that. When going north and trying to get east, I found that talking to TEB tower and getting approval to fly directly over their airport worked out best, except for the additional radio work in a congested environment. They were always friendly about it.

I also found it to be easier when taking the VFR corridor south to fly the whole thing, and turn around after passing the VZ bridge to go back north. The statue of liberty area can be too busy, and this was a suitable alternative.

U turn outside VZ then go direct from Alpine to N07 under the bravo. Just scan for TEB traffic on the final when landing south as you proceed to N07. Cocktails and food on the field after the flight (usually a music band on weekends). Enjoy!

Thanks again for all the info, everyone.

It ended up being dark by the time we got there, which I actually prefer. Easier to see other aircraft, and just as easy to see landmarks.

Got vectored into the skyline route at 1500 then 2000 for traffic. Not as low as I wanted but still beautiful. Got the expected stern “NO” regarding cutting across the bravo to the west. Simply not enough space through EWR approaches.

Approach dumped us as we passed VZ, so I dropped down to 1000 and went back up the exclusion again. Ohhh man, that felt like the fun kind of illegal. Breathtaking nighttime city views, planes and helicopters swarming around, it was surreal. Had the Yankee stadium TFR to contend with, but wasn’t an issue pulling the 180 on the river. Exited southbound again and went around the bravo up to Lincoln Park.

I'm curious if you could use the exclusion or skyline to get into Teterboro?

I…think so? I mean as long as you’re under 1300 (in the exclusion) you’re below bravo airspace anyway, shelf is at 15-1800 west of the river near TEB. Just gotta call TEB tower to enter the class D. If you’re above 1300, you’re in the bravo and talking to ATC anyway. I don’t see why they wouldn’t let you follow the river up and break off at Teterboro.

Back