Hudson Flight Pictures

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
Hi all, I took a few friends on the Hudson River flight (plus Central Park transition to head out to Block Island) a couple of months ago. It was my second time flying the corridor. Unfortunately, the GoPros were packed away, so not a lot of video, but my friends took some pictures, and I put together a video that includes some of those plus a moving map (which is a whole other story).

I'll post an update here when I've incorporated the final friend's pictures (who is probably the best photographer of the bunch) but there's enough in this rough cut that hopefully some of you enjoy it!

I miss NY.

even tho I'm not a fan of 'slideshow videos', I liked it.

Very nice video! Love the map animation and the ATC audio overlay. "44X nice job!"

Nice Video! thanks for posting. How did you do the map and plane in the video?

Nice Video! thanks for posting. How did you do the map and plane in the video?

That I did semi-manually. There's a guy who programmatically made watercolor-looking maps from Open Street Map data. I wrote a little Python script to grab an area of those in bulk, and then another one to take GPS data from my ForeFlight track, overlay the airplane in the proper place, and output a video. Then just used the video as one more source in Final Cut. I'm still looking forward to trying to do some chroma key mixing against a GoPro video one of these days :)

If you (or anybody) is a Python person (or wants to try to be one) I'm happy to post the scripts for others' use.

Back