how's your golf game this year?

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
mine is really bad.
haven't shot a sub 90 round so far. I'm disgusted with myself.

Last year, I was playing consistently in the 80s at this time. This year, I suck. Thank goodness it's just a hobby.

I'll assume that Edfred will be the first respondent here and he'll regale us with his sub 80s rounds. Anyone else?

Shall we have a golf fly-in?

Usually around 92, with the occasional high-80's thrown in. It gets frustrating...

Dan

The annual POA memorial, invitational, open golf tournament & fly-in would help sort this out. I'm kind of shooting around 90 myself so far this year.

Messed up my shoulder in the offseason. Haven't even touched my clubs except to move them from the (what is now the) dog's room to the garage. Even had to turn around and bat left handed in softball because I couldn't rotate through with my left shoulder.

Last edited:
Bought myself a new-to-me set of Pings this year and have consistently been shooting mid 80's. Not bad for someone who's had both shoulders operated on twice in the last 7 years!

I've been playing every week. It's getting better...I've mastered the triple bogey. :D

Got a new putter last week...that was fun.

I've been playing every week. It's getting better...I've mastered the triple bogey. :D

Got a new putter last week...that was fun.

heh. golf is relative. If you can master the triple, then any double will feel like a birdie.

Nice work.

Haven't played in nearly 4 years, but for some random reason, I've had the itch to start playing again this year. I'll have to dig the clubs out at my parents' house and haul them back up here to get ready for the PoAMIFI.

I went out on the 4th with the family (Two grandkids 5 and 7) so I only took along an 8 iron and a putter. 9 holes 5 over. One has to try this once a year to remind ones self that you do not have to hit the ball so hard. All you have to do is hit it more accurate. Sad part was it was the par 3 holes that gave me the most trouble.

Dan

I just decided about four weeks back to pick up this game (after many years of watching golf on TV and enjoying it), like I need another frustrating hobby. A guy at work gave me an old bag of clubs he had at home, and a couple of Wally world bags full of old balls.

I've been reading all kinds of books, and have been golfing three times now, playing the front 9 of a fairly scrubby cheap local course. First time out, 63 for nine holes. Second and third times out, 54 for nine holes.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and am kinda bummed I won't be hitting the course this weekend...

Presently reading "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf"

Last edited:
I've been reading all kinds of books, and have been golfing three times now, playing the front 9 of a fairly scrubby cheap local course. First time out, 63 for nine holes. Second and third times out, 54 for nine holes.

Great job! Frustrating is right...if you can control the mental aspect, you can play with much better players and come out ok.

Yeah, great job on scoring so well your first couple of times out.

If you'd like to read some great stuff on the mental aspect of the game, try any book by Bob Rotella. He's a sports shrink, and his writings have helped me a lot.

I'm taking the Tiger approach when I step out on the course this year. Wear red. Just kidding. Actually, he said something close to this: Whatever club you can hit the furthest AND stay in the fairway over 80% of the time, that's the club you should use for your shot. If it ends up being an 8 iron, so be it. Of course I hit my 8 iron abuot 170, so for me distance is not much of an issue.

I just decided about four weeks back to pick up this game (after many years of watching golf on TV and enjoying it), like I need another frustrating hobby. A guy at work gave me an old bag of clubs he had at home, and a couple of Wally world bags full of old balls.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and am kinda bummed I won't be hitting the course this weekend...

Best advice I can give you is learn to putt, then learn to chip. Forget about learning to drive long drives. One good drive and a three putt is the same as a bad drive, a so so second shot and a two putt. The shots that count are from 100 yds and in. when you score count your putts separate, That will tell you how you are doing. A good day will be 9 holes and 9 putts. A bad day will be 9 holes and 27 putts. Most valuable clubs (49, 56, 52, 60 wedges).

Enjoy the game

Dan

Got out yesterday for the first time, and for the 3rd consecutive year, the first hole played resulted in a birdie. :) Different course each year.

Back