Howdy, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Wayne was quite famous well before the late 50's.
I wasn't really around, but my folks insist he was a bit player in westerns at that time and he had no bearing on my name. All of my siblings have the same first initial and one of two middle initials...wayne was the last W they could think of, they claimed :)

I don’t understand the desire to put John Wayne Jones down.

I enjoyed his first post.

I feel it is a good story well told.

I often learn as much from wrong advice as good advice so I don’t see the risk.

Either he will contribute something to POA or he won’t.

I am happy to wait and see without attacking him.

Holy crap! I hope it gets better, or can get better! Wow! For the record I believe you.
Thank you, but after 30 years or so, it is what it is. Luckily, it isn't much more than a horrific scar- no muscle involvement. I broke all of the ribs on my left side and ripped off my left patella during the ejection sequence, as well as severe damage to the skin on my shoulders and a broken clavicle- ejections are NO fun. The F5F had been retro'ed with Aces II seats, which saved my life, but they had to nearly kill me to do it.

OK, since this seems to be something more than simply doubting newcomers- there is a rabid element here that is the primary reason I left Quora even though I was one of the most popular writers. I am going to explain myself, and if this isn't enough for you, I will move on, probably to something imminently more healthy than the internet,anyway. I can see why new blood is rare here.

I was born in the very ate 50's, on our family ranch near Lajitas, Texas. I grew up, as I said, in airplanes. I soloed at 9, although I usually say 12 because people simply do not believe me when I say 9. Why 12 is more believable I don't know, but it cuts down on the BS I have to listen to.
I flew as a CFI, night charter, weather modification, you name it, while attending UT for my degree in Evolutionary Biology/herpetology. I eventually earned my Masters from Sul Ross.
One of my brothers was a zoomie, I wasn't interested. I could have easily gone the academy route, but I DESPISE military discipline. The nicest thing a commanding officer ever said about me outside of the cockpit was that I was "irreverent".
When I was accepted to OTS- which I attended at the Lackland annex- I already had about 5000 flight hours, 3000 of those as a CFI, 5 type ratings in biz jets and a DC-3 type.
I attended ENJJPT at Sheppard AFP, class 83-**. I was faip'ed, spent 36 mos as an IP after training (PIT) and eventually was given my #1 dreamsheet slot, F-15C, at Nellis, with the 65th AGRS.
I am not going in to too much detail, but I was also rated in the F-5E Tiger II, the last one we operated at that time, for DACT. A nearby T&E squadron which I will not name owned an F-5F, and as Capt Maguire and I were the senior F-5 pilots at the time, they asked up to fly a test card- it had nothing to do with the aircraft, it was an equipment test, something which had been added to the aircraft for test purposes.
We suffered a catastrophic engine failure during a zoom climb and the aircraft essentially exploded. Capt Maguire's position commanded the ejection, so essentially he saved my life. He did not survive.
I spent 16 months in the BAMC burn ward, an came home with two trophies. A dead friend. And a right leg and side that look like this: (This is a recent picture, of the cleanest part of my injury- the hip is the worst. I had 33 skin grafts to repair the damage.)

Welcome to my hell.
vr7znm.jpg

I fought my way back into the cockpit after amazingly painful surgeries and the pain of losing my friend.

If this isn't enough, I am finished here, so you have the power to send me packing, easily. Let me know.
Holy Cow! I apologize for my comment earlier. You have quite an amazing story, which is the reason for the doubts at first, but you have certainly been through a lot!

Welcome! And ... someone's got to say it ... "Henning? Is that you?" :)
Cowboy Pilot might be a better bet. ;)

Just kidding. @John Wayne Jones, we have been trolled many times before, that is why there are those who are suspicious. Your first post on the forum was a pretty fantastic story. Imagine if you were a regular on a forum and someone's first post introducing themselves read like yours....

The F5F had been retro'ed with Aces II seats, which saved my life, but they had to nearly kill me to do it.

The F-5 Tiger, and Tiger II are one of my favorite jets. Very under rated, but they look like a hoot to fly. I assume it is a derivative of the T-38, or visa versa. Sorry you had to eject, get injured, and lose a friend. :(

Holy Cow! I apologize for my comment earlier. You have quite an amazing story, which is the reason for the doubts at first, but you have certainly been through a lot!
I completely understand not taking newcomers at face value, I don't do that in real life, much less on the internet. But you guys- most of you- went much further than that. I think maybe everyone needs to reevaluate their responses to new folks. First, pilots are ********ters- especially young ones. I imagine most of you told a few whoppers when you were student pilots or newly minted PPL's. At the very least, girls in bars or in class heard tales that were...well, let's just say the manifold pressure was a little higher in your story than it needed to be.
But that doesn't make any of you- or them- bad people. They just feel uncomfortable because they are new and everyone around them seems to be an old hand. They want to fit in, to be accepted- in the majority of cases, there is no malice intended, they just want to be "one of the boys". So why attack them for that, and make them feel even lower?? Grin, do the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" with your pals, and let the boy work! Gently call him on his flubs, and slowly the truth will emerge, and a more confident, sheepish, accepted new pilot will emerge, and our community will be enhanced by it.
This rabid, verbal abuse...good lord, no wonder GA is fading away! Do you know how hard I worked, in my youth, to change the perception people had upon walking into a flight school for the first time? I, and others like me, wrote articles, had airport BBQ's, FIRED ******* CFI's, did everything we could to make walking into Joe's Flight School a pleasant experience, that would prompt people to return.
We did good work, too- new pilot starts increased almost 60%. It was a boom, and we did it, by making flying accessible and friendly.

You guys are taking it back to the dark ages, here. Do you WANT GA to die out? Enjoy driving, do ya? Sure hope so. Warm up that Prius!

I completely understand not taking newcomers at face value, I don't do that in real life, much less on the internet. But you guys- most of you- went much further than that. I think maybe everyone needs to reevaluate their responses to new folks. First, pilots are ********ters- especially young ones. I imagine most of you told a few whoppers when you were student pilots or newly minted PPL's. At the very least, girls in bars or in class heard tales that were...well, let's just say the manifold pressure was a little higher in your story than it needed to be.
But that doesn't make any of you- or them- bad people. They just feel uncomfortable because they are new and everyone around them seems to be an old hand. They want to fit in, to be accepted- in the majority of cases, there is no malice intended, they just want to be "one of the boys". So why attack them for that, and make them feel even lower?? Grin, do the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" with your pals, and let the boy work! Gently call him on his flubs, and slowly the truth will emerge, and a more confident, sheepish, accepted new pilot will emerge, and our community will be enhanced by it.
This rabid, verbal abuse...good lord, no wonder GA is fading away! Do you know how hard I worked, in my youth, to change the perception people had upon walking into a flight school for the first time? I, and others like me, wrote articles, had airport BBQ's, FIRED ******* CFI's, did everything we could to make walking into Joe's Flight School a pleasant experience, that would prompt people to return.
We did good work, too- new pilot starts increased almost 60%. It was a boom, and we did it, by making flying accessible and friendly.

You guys are taking it back to the dark ages, here. Do you WANT GA to die out? Enjoy driving, do ya? Sure hope so. Warm up that Prius!

Fuggin-a

Not buyin it John Wayne. 5,000 hours by age 20. 3,000 instructing in 2 years. This all seems very familiar to another forum experience I've had. I'll let others enjoy your tales.

Tha
The F-5 Tiger, and Tiger II are one of my favorite jets. Very under rated, but they look like a hoot to fly. I assume it is a derivative of the T-38, or visa versa. Sorry you had to eject, get injured, and lose a friend. :(
Thanks- the F-5 was always my favorite jet, as a kid. The T-38/F-5/F-20 family line is convoluted, it's hard to really call which is the chicken and which is the egg, although I suppose everything began more or less with N-156, a prototype Northrop design from the 50's. I enjoyed the T-38 as well as the F-5E very much...a higher TWR and I believe it would still be formidable today, with some of the avionics upgrades the planes have had.

Not buyin it John Wayne. 5,000 hours by age 20. 3,000 instructing in 2 years. This all seems very familiar to another forum experience I've had. I'll let others enjoy your tales.
I understand. For people who didn't grow up with a couple of airplanes in their front yard and their own fuel farm, it DOES seem extreme, I grant you. But you have to understand, from age 9, I hopped in a Champ every time you hopped on a bicycle. My father was a CFI, so he would log any flight we flew together, and often flights I flew solo, as dual. After I turned 16, I flew everywhere- west Texas is huge, and all of my friends lived on ranches with landing strips...I don't even know how many "solo cross countries" are in my first log book, but there were a LOT. It was my transportation. After I earned my PPL, and me ME, I flew our Travel Air. Imagine being 17 and having the ability to take a first date to Taos for dinner in your airplane! I did not waste that opportunity- I got laid ALOT. I really did. After I earned my CFI, I began teaching at the airport in Alpine- I flew the Champ, usually, the 95 miles, every day- to go fly. Once I began the university in San Antonio (UTSA) I flew back and forth every weekend- I took the Travel Air, and based it at Stinson field.
Frankly, I have no doubt I average more than 1000 hours per year.
In the interests of accuracy, I suppose my 3000 hour dual given is probably a bit off, I was estimating- I had never paid any attention to my duel given when OTS began, but it was very high- a couple of thousand at least. But there is a caveat there- I always took a friend or girlfriend with me, and would let them fly. I got each a logbook, so basically every time we went anywhere, I was logging dual given. I was allowing them to fly and providing instruction, and several of them did earn their PPL, but it probably wasn't logging as the FAA meant it to be logged.

A search of the Airman registry at the FAA is sometimes interesting for what it shows. Or doesn't.

I was unable to find anyone in Texas who remotely matches this:

My name is John Wayne Jones ... in south Texas, about an hour and a half from San Antonio. ... do some flight instruction,... I also fly relief for a local company with a Citation V, and train their new helicopter pilots in the two Bell 505's

I understand. For people who didn't grow up with a couple of airplanes in their front yard and their own fuel farm, it DOES seem extreme, I grant you. But you have to understand, from age 9, I hopped in a Champ every time you hopped on a bicycle. My father was a CFI, so he would log any flight we flew together, and often flights I flew solo, as dual. After I turned 16, I flew everywhere- west Texas is huge, and all of my friends lived on ranches with landing strips...I don't even know how many "solo cross countries" are in my first log book, but there were a LOT. It was my transportation. After I earned my PPL, and me ME, I flew our Travel Air. Imagine being 17 and having the ability to take a first date to Taos for dinner in your airplane! I did not waste that opportunity- I got laid ALOT. I really did. After I earned my CFI, I began teaching at the airport in Alpine- I flew the Champ, usually, the 95 miles, every day- to go fly. Once I began the university in San Antonio (UTSA) I flew back and forth every weekend- I took the Travel Air, and based it at Stinson field.
Frankly, I have no doubt I average more than 1000 hours per year.
In the interests of accuracy, I suppose my 3000 hour dual given is probably a bit off, I was estimating- I had never paid any attention to my duel given when OTS began, but it was very high- a couple of thousand at least. But there is a caveat there- I always took a friend or girlfriend with me, and would let them fly. I got each a logbook, so basically every time we went anywhere, I was logging dual given. I was allowing them to fly and providing instruction, and several of them did earn their PPL, but it probably wasn't logging as the FAA meant it to be logged.

What'd you do from '80-'83?

I'll say it again. I'm not asking the OP to identify himself in any way. Based on my Air Force career, the timeline he posted just doesn't sit right.

I've asked a simple Unclassified question (with Unclas answer) that, if he was an Aggressor, he will know the answer to.

What was the call sign used by the 65th when you were there, flying the F-15, and what was the GCI call sign.

I normally don't care who's on this board, why they're here, or what their story is. I do care when the story doesn't make sense based on my actual experience. The AF story doesn't make sense in a number of ways.

I don't care who here is what he says he is or isn't. In fact, I assume everyone on the internet is full of it until proven otherwise. I assume everyone assumes the same of me. But for someone to walk in here with that story screams of pathology. I suspect that IRL, whoever the poster is, an introduction goes more like, "Hi, my name's Tom. I'm a former Air Force pilot from Texas." Be Henning, be cowboy pilot, be Buzz ****ing Aldrin for all I care. But expect to be called on BS.

Last edited:
I I also fly relief for a local company with a Citation V, and train their new helicopter pilots in the two Bell 505's they operate.

I'm just curious, since he flies two Bell 505's, and three of them have been built, where's the other one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_505_Jet_Ranger_X

Bell 505 Jet Ranger X

Role Light helicopter
National origin United States/Canada
Manufacturer Bell Helicopter
First flight 10 November 2014[1]
Introduction 7 March 2017
Status In production
Number built 3
Unit cost
$1.07 million[2]

I'm just curious, since he flies two Bell 505's, and three of them have been built, where's the other one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_505_Jet_Ranger_X

Bell 505 Jet Ranger X

Role Light helicopter
National origin United States/Canada
Manufacturer Bell Helicopter
First flight 10 November 2014[1]
Introduction 7 March 2017
Status In production
Number built 3
Unit cost
$1.07 million[2]
As of March, Bell was hanging on to two for training, and one was in Arizona, according to this.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...elivers-first-505-jet-ranger-x-heli-expo-2017

What's a fuel farm? I thought it was a cattle farm in the first post...maybe that travel air runs on methane.
Anyway, 1000 hrs a year in light aircraft, is about 3 hrs every, single, day.
Best luck with the weather I've ever seen.

Didn't we do this crap to a new guy a few months ago. Everybody thought it was 6PC screwing around, and he turned out to be for real. It was embarrassing. Let's leave this guy alone. If he's legit, he'll be one of the most interesting men in the forum. If he's not, then he's not. I'll not participate in lambasting another guy who just walked in the door. I'll tell you this, if he's for real and we run him off, we are a disgrace.

Wanna go flying?

I'm probably a little over an hour away from you in the cirrus my plane comes out of annual on Friday that's what they keep telling me anyway.

I'd be happy to meet you at some point and go take a flight with you. If you are legit I don't want you to leave the forum.

And I'm not questioning your legitimacy. But willing to help you prove it because you seem like you would be a lot of fun to have on here.

What's a fuel farm? I thought it was a cattle farm in the first post...maybe that travel air runs on methane.
Anyway, 1000 hrs a year in light aircraft, is about 3 hrs every, single, day.
Best luck with the weather I've ever seen.

I've used fuel farm before as well. Also fuel pits, hot fuel, FARP. Nothing really out of the ordinary to use "fuel farm." Just another way of describing to area where you get fuel.

I think we are all hoping John is for real.

However, I'm wondering if the only proof around, is 90 proof.

There is still the question of being a member of SWAT also. I'm trying to see where that could fit in.

I wrote - with a co-author- several books about aviation. One could probably be called a textbook, the rest were considered guides. How-to books for establishing a career, for getting financial assistance for flying, one on weather (the textbook-ish one) and then we wrote one that was a breakdown of small grass fields in the US, which we spent a summer visiting in a super Cub. All of these were originally published by a subsidiary of Lonely Planet in the early 90's. I very occasionally run across one on Amazon, but they are long out of print. Most of the grass fields in our book don't even exist any longer. EDIT: Oh, sorry, no, pseudonyms, just JW Jones and D Bain.

No such books by those authors in the Library of Congress.

Didn't we do this crap to a new guy a few months ago. Everybody thought it was 6PC screwing around, and he turned out to be for real. It was embarrassing. Let's leave this guy alone. If he's legit, he'll be one of the most interesting men in the forum. If he's not, then he's not. I'll not participate in lambasting another guy who just walked in the door. I'll tell you this, if he's for real and we run him off, we are a disgrace.

There are many manifestations of Stolen Valor, and unfortunately it is not uncommon. They should be exposed and run off.

can't be real... and if it is, wouldn't want to be ya.

Folks, let's be welcoming to the new member and stop any discussions about the legitimacy of his posting.

Welcome, John!

Lindberg said:
John Wayne was quite famous well before the late 50's.

I wasn't really around, but my folks insist he was a bit player in westerns at that time and he had no bearing on my name. All of my siblings have the same first initial and one of two middle initials...wayne was the last W they could think of, they claimed :)

He was nominated for the Academy's Best Actor award in 1950. A whopping 107 of his 140 films had already been released by 1957.

Poor Robert Lomax... ;-)

Poor Robert Lomax... ;-)

Yeah, that's the fellow!

I hate to get all serious about it, but dang, should our new peeps have to prove they're real people? I felt bad for Lomax. Glad he hung in there.

Wait, Lomax did turn out to actually be Lomax, right?

John Wayne Jones said:
I entered Air Force OTS at 20 years of age

When I was accepted to OTS- which I attended at the Lackland annex- I already had about 5000 flight hours, 3000 of those as a CFI, 5 type ratings in biz jets and a DC-3 type.

All that at age 20. It's truly remarkable, giving 3000 hours of instruction in just two years. That's got to work out to at least 28 hours of instruction per week, while earning a college degree in herpetology at the same time.

(I'm assuming that this narrative would have the 3000 hours of instruction given while attending college. After all, back home on the ranch, there would have been slim pickings for students, as it's located in one of the most thinly populated regions of the United States, with only 267 residents in the Study Butte-Terlingua census designated place, in 2000, and far fewer in Lajitas.)

I'll be glad to quit questioning any legitimacy.
I do want to state though that my reason for being here is that I'm a new student. Hopefully soon a pilot. I love the banter too. However the main reasons I am here is seeking the extensive knowledge and experience that the members here have to offer. If if that advice is based on falsified experience or even possibly just made up out of nowhere in order to satisfy an ego or personal power trip...that puts me and other student Pilots possibly in danger. I know that sounds kind of far-fetched or far-reaching...But at the very least if this forum becomes full of nothing but made up pilots who aren't real then I can only see it going downhill from there.

Yeah, that's the fellow!

I hate to get all serious about it, but dang, should our new peeps have to prove they're real people? I felt bad for Lomax. Glad he hung in there.

Wait, Lomax did turn out to actually be Lomax, right?

the whole thing happened because i wanted to be a character in the next installment of "as the propeller turns".
i tried relly hard to be as special, all over the forum,,,
and it did work,, im a bit part, but a part nontheless...

cleaning up that mess took longer than it took to make it.
i made my avitar my face, old paper license and efb showing my area of washoington state..
now my avitar is the plane i bought, that is still in boise.
google the n#,,, see all my info...

back to the op,,,, i dont know one way or the other,,,but what i care about is,,, posting to actual threads that are interesting.
i dont want to read his whole life story,,, its toooo long, i dont learn anything, i get bored!

I learn something from everyone here.
If I get board I stop reading.
I try to filter the BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back