Howdy, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Wayne Jones

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
I hope this is a proper area for introductions, it isn't obvious- at least to my tired old brain- where to post them.
My name is John Wayne Jones (Really, and I was named before the Duke was a superstar). I was born in west Texas on our family cattle ranch too many years ago. We owned 240,000 acres, which is a great place for a kid to grow up.
I learned to fly- as my siblings had- in our family Champ. We had 4 runways on the ranch, and owned a Champ and a Travel Air twin. I soloed at 9 years old, and was only allowed to fly over the boundaries of our ranch- same rules my sibs had had before me. Of course, I NEVER broke those rules. :) It was great having a fighter pilot father- he expected us to push the boundaries.
I earned my private at 17, on my birthday, my commercial at 18 a day late because of weather, and my CFI/CFII/MEI less than a month after my Commercial ride. I was trying to beat my brother James, who had set a family record...I missed by two days.
I entered Air Force OTS at 20 years of age, with a degree in evolutionary biology from UT, a commercial pilot's license, and 5 bizjet type ratings as well as a DC-3 type rating. Type rides are flown to ATP standards, so I had passed 6 ATP checkrides but could not earn my ATP yet due to age restrictions.
My entire family is/was into aviation, military and civilian. My father and uncle both flew in WWII and Korea with the Air corps and Air Force, my father remained in the service and flew in Vietnam as well. (My uncle passed) Many of my relatives work for various airlines today.
I have three brothers and a sister, we are all pilots, and all but my oldest brother and my sister served as pilots in the military. One brother was a lrrp ranger and a helicopter pilot in VN, another flew A-6's off of carriers, and the last, which would be me, the baby of the family, was too young for VN but flew in the USAF for 10 years, first as a faip in tweets and talons, (36 mos), and later as an F-15C pilot and instructor, most of my time with the 65th AGRS at Nellis. (RIP 65th)
I spent time flying the bush in Alaska, I flew for the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Australia, I flew relief missions in south and central America, and finally settled down to a career with a major US carrier. I recently retired to a small ranch we bought in south Texas, about an hour and a half from San Antonio. I still own a T-6 and an 8KCAB, and do some flight instruction, mostly tailwheel and aerobatic, as well as some work for the CAF in pilot training. I also fly relief for a local company with a Citation V, and train their new helicopter pilots in the two Bell 505's they operate.
So other than that, I'm married, with 3 grown children, two of whom are in college still and one who has graduated. All have left home. I own a hotrod shop, specializing in 1000hp restomods and performance mods to supercars and hypercars, we work primarily on Lambos, Paganis, Lotus, and Porsches, in that realm. I collect guns and cars, which sounds like a recipe for a drive-by, but it is innocent. :) My wife and I breed German Shepherds for service animals. We have 3 males and 7 females, who are all family.
So that's me. Howdy, Y'all- hope to get to know you all!

Welcome to the party. That's quite a journey! Think we have 2 other Eagle drivers on the board.

You sir are overqualified for this board!!
I'm just a guy who loves to fly, just like everyone here, I imagine. I may be closer to the end of the journey than many of you, but that is simply a matter of timing. Actually, I envy those just beginning...aviation is headed in some fascinating directions!

Very cool story! How are the 505's? They're brand new, with the first one delivered just a few months ago.

Big hat...sounds like lots of cattle! You're way, way overqualified...but you're certainly a welcome addition. Good luck

Very cool story! How are the 505's? They're brand new, with the first one delivered just a few months ago.
I have alot of time in the larger Bells, honestly the 505 isn't much different other than the avionics package, which is amazing. I wish I was 20 years younger so I could absorb all of the options more easily, but Star Trek really is right here, with us!
I would love to fly the 525, it really pushes the tech envelope!

Welcome! Very impressive aviation background for sure!

Big hat...sounds like lots of cattle! You're way, way overqualified...but you're certainly a welcome addition. Good luck
I didn't realize there were "qualifications" for this forum..? Is it ok for me to be here? I'm fairly new to online forums, since I retired I've been on them here and there, but I'm certainly no expert.

I didn't realize there were "qualifications" for this forum..? Is it ok for me to be here?

Let's just see if you pass the pilots of America Test.

Hey I'm looking to buy an airplane. What should I get?

Let's just see if you pass the pilots of America Test.

Hey I'm looking to buy an airplane. What should I get?
Depends on what you want to do with it, but if you just want a 2 seater that has some legs and is fun to fly, a Super Decathlon is one of my favorite planes. But buy what suits your needs and makes you happy!

Fail! Suppose to say Cirrus...duh.

Nope, third wheel is at the wrong end. I fought with McDonnell Douglas for years, petitioning for a tailwheel version of the F-15C. Those bastards would not listen. :)

I think we can let you stay. But it would be good if you know the answer to every question is Bonanza

I didn't realize there were "qualifications" for this forum..? Is it ok for me to be here? I'm fairly new to online forums, since I retired I've been on them here and there, but I'm certainly no expert.

You sound very good on paper; only your desire to participate "qualifies" yo to be here. Welcome. There are recurring, unanswerable questions (e.g. what plane should I buy?) and self-appointed experts are legion -- so relax and enjoy and you'll figure it out soon.

Sounds like a work of fiction. Are we supposed to guess which of our illustrious story tellers it is?

@John Wayne Jones Welcome! You will no doubt find (while perusing the forums) a wide variety of morons, showoffs and everything in between. However most of the folks on here are happy to share their unsolicited opinions about anything you didn't ask about.

Enjoy your stay :)

If you are indeed any less fictional than Gandalf, you truly are a wizard. And we will enjoy your company immensely.
Even if you are one of the more festive posters here having a good time... Still, enjoying the festivities.
I mean, I have flown no less than three planes in a mere 18 hrs as a student ...sooooo it is somewhat a possibility. But it is also an equal possibility that you are one of the many personalities of one of our posters.
Which even then you are new....so welcome whichever you may be.

Geez guys, can't give someone the benefit of the doubt? At least wait for someone to Maui-fy themselves. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back