Howdy, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, would watch a mini-series based on your family. :D

Sounds like a work of fiction. Are we supposed to guess which of our illustrious story tellers it is?

I doubt it but if it is, he's gone to one helluva great length to fabricate things. Spent the past hour on Quora reading his stuff. Believe me, he hasn't even begun to tell his story here yet. Don't know where the guy found time to sleep during all these life's adventures...when you're dead I guess.o_O

Sounds like a work of fiction. Are we supposed to guess which of our illustrious story tellers it is?
There's a lot about the story that seems, uh, far fetched, like how someone born in the thirties could be too young for Vietnam, especially someone who was already in the Air Force at twenty. Maybe like most stories from West Texas, it's just a little exaggerated. Or it's all BS.

Last edited:
Welcome to PoA JWJ. I have a good friend down in Kingsville. You anywhere near there? Ever sell your GSD pups? Always wanted a GSD

Pretty certain the 65th got the Eagle when it was reactivated in '05. Something doesn't make sense with the timeline here. There's just enough in the AF section to sound good, but just doesn't seem accurate based on what I know from my AF career.

Name the Aggressor and GCI callsigns.

Last edited:
It's all odd to me.
On Quora, he was even a former SWAT member... well at least on some of the posts.
Let's ask about those tail numbers he owns, and check the registration. Then we'll know one way or the other.

Pretty certain the 65th got the Eagle when it was reactivated in '05. Something doesn't make sense with the timeline here. There's just enough in the AF section to sound good, but just doesn't seem accurate based on what I know from my AF career.

Name the Aggressor and GCI callsigns.

He was done flying by 1990 in the AF. Said he ejected from an F-5F that caused injuries that medical forced him out. Which is why I hope his story is legit. If it's not, that's some messed up ****!

The 243,000 acres with 4 runways, B505 (only three delivered), soloed at 9, no 12. OTS at 20. Straight from T-38 IP to the 65th??? Flown the Mig 29 solo. Oh yeah, built a Velocity...amongst other homebuilts. Yes, seems a bit of a stretch.

I don't know, I've read some incredible military pilot bios (Steve Pisanos, Joe Kittenger, Jack Broughton, etc), so it's possible to have lived such a life. Perhaps in the future, JWJ will attach pics to his past flying adventures.

Last edited:
He was done flying by 1990 in the AF. Said he ejected from an F-5F that killed his back seater. Which is why I hope his story is legit. If it's not, that's some messed up ****!

The 243,000 acres with 4 runways, B505 (only three delivered), soloed at 9, no 12. Straight from T-38 IP to the 65th??? Flown the Mig 29 solo. Oh yeah, built a Velocity...amongst other homebuilts.

I don't know, I've read some incredible military pilot bios (Steve Pisanos, Joe Kittenger, Jack Broughton, etc), so it's possible to have lived such a life. Perhaps in the future, JWJ will attach pics to his past flying adventures.

I'm not sure why these people have to be so dramatic and extreme in their storytelling. They could get away with their lies if they made them more believable. I also don't quite get the point of anonymously boasting of fantastic exploits on the internet. What fun is that?

I'm not sure why these people have to be so dramatic and extreme in their storytelling. They could get away with their lies if they made them more believable. I also don't quite get the point of anonymously boasting of fantastic exploits on the internet. What fun is that?

You probably went up against him when he flew with the 65th! :D

Welcome to the forum, John.

First, there are no qualifications here. The guys are just illustrating that you have an impressive story, especially compared to us private pilots with no spectacular experiences to share.

Second, with a story like that, there will be a lot of folks that doubt your credibility. It's nothing personal. We've had more than one forum member tell some pretty tall tales. We would love to have a member who has led such an interesting and action packed life, but experienced has taught us to be leery of such claims, unfortunately.

I hope you are legit, sir. We need another good storyteller.

If you are not legit, please move along.

Howdy, where was the ranch; I am in southwest Texas
I grew up on our family ranch in west Texas- sandwiched in a triangle, sort of between Lajitas and Big Bend Ranch. We sold it after my father died in 1985. My ranch is about 70 miles east of San Antonio, by road- more or less halfway between San Antonio and Port Lavaca.

Welcome to the forum, John.

First, there are no qualifications here. The guys are just illustrating that you have an impressive story, especially compared to us private pilots with no spectacular experiences to share.

Second, with a story like that, there will be a lot of folks that doubt your credibility. It's nothing personal. We've had more than one forum member tell some pretty tall tales. We would love to have a member who has led such an interesting and action packed life, but experienced has taught us to be leery of such claims, unfortunately.

I hope you are legit, sir. We need another good storyteller.

If you are not legit, please move along.
Ah, I see. I'm pretty new to the forum experience, I've learned to use the various methods for showing emotion- the smiley faces and italics, etc, but really haven't learned the ins and outs of membership. I don't mind paying my dues, I suppose! So how do I prove that I'm not here to lead you all down a path of lies and deception, for the purpose of...what IS the purpose of these folks, anyway?

Ah, I see. I'm pretty new to the forum experience, I've learned to use the various methods for showing emotion- the smiley faces and italics, etc, but really haven't learned the ins and outs of membership. I don't mind paying my dues, I suppose! So how do I prove that I'm not here to lead you all down a path of lies and deception, for the purpose of...what IS the purpose of these folks, anyway?

Yanking chains for the most part

That was my impression as well.
Ain't nobody got time for dat......
Sorry, I can prove beyond a doubt that it is NOT fiction...you see, I have had several works of non-fiction published, but despite several submissions, my editor tells me that I cannot write fiction! So...there you have it. Obviously.

Geez guys, can't give someone the benefit of the doubt? At least wait for someone to Maui-fy themselves. Heh.
Thanks, I appreciate the support, but I don't mind. It felt unreal while I was living it, I can't expect people to just take my word for it on an internet forum, where the truth is a rare visitor. I stand ready to answer questions, provided they do not violate personal privacy issues!

He was done flying by 1990 in the AF. Said he ejected from an F-5F that killed his back seater. Which is why I hope his story is legit. If it's not, that's some messed up ****!

The 243,000 acres with 4 runways, B505 (only three delivered), soloed at 9, no 12. OTS at 20. Straight from T-38 IP to the 65th??? Flown the Mig 29 solo. Oh yeah, built a Velocity...amongst other homebuilts. Yes, seems a bit of a stretch.

He's also built a long-eze, a vari-ez, a velocity, a few other kits, including a helicopter, and two planes from scratch. No pictures of them, though.

I've been reading back over my post, and I have to ask a question, if you don't mind. I grew up in aviation and served the minimum time allowable in the Air Force (for a pilot) after which I went the the 'lines. Other than the bit of bush flying I did, this is exactly the same story that a number of my friends have, and although many of my other buddies waited until Uncle Sugar paid for their ratings, this is essentially the same story that almost everyone I know shares, What, precisely, has you fellas feeling like I am...err..Gandalf? I'm just curious.

Thanks, I appreciate the support, but I don't mind. It felt unreal while I was living it, I can't expect people to just take my word for it on an internet forum, where the truth is a rare visitor. I stand ready to answer questions, provided they do not violate personal privacy issues!
That should be easy enough. You could start by following in years and N numbers to go with your exploits. Registration for the planes you've owned/built is all public record.

Being insufferable buttheads is how we run off new blood around here. Let's give the guy more than a couple of posts before we crucify him as a troll. Jeesh.

Welcome to POA John Wayne Jones.

I enjoyed your story and look forward to reading more.

Well, it's really not our business to vett you, and I don't think it's fair for us to make you feel like you need to prove yourself. So really, I'd expect you to simply carry on and enjoy the forum. I don't want anyone to step in the door of POA and instantly feel like they are under a microscope, so again I say welcome, and apologize if you already feel like you are being tested.

That being said, we've had people come in here just to tell lies just to yank our chains. They generally get found out pretty quickly.

If you are legit, then there are pretty obvious ways to back up your stories, and besides backing up your stories, we simply love for people to share pictures of their experiences.

Frankly, you've already mentioned a way to somewhat prove yourself. You said you were published. What did you write?

Oh, by the way, Henning is a former member that told some tall tales. He was a valued member by some, but not a favorite of many. Nobody knows if half the stuff he said was true, but we know he was a real person. He was quite controversial at times, and ended up being banned. When we get a new members who might seem like they stretch the truth, we sometimes joke that it's Henning using a different name.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can prove beyond a doubt that it is NOT fiction...you see, I have had several works of non-fiction published, but despite several submissions, my editor tells me that I cannot write fiction! So...there you have it. Obviously.
Amazon returns zero results for "John Wayne Jones." Do you use a pen name?

He's also built a long-eze, a vari-ez, a velocity, a few other kits, including a helicopter, and two planes from scratch. No pictures of them, though.
Yes, I was on Quora! That is actually my only other forum experience. You are essentially correct,other than I didn't build all of those aircraft, I helped to build those aircraft. The Longeze and Velocity were my builds, with a partner, the rest were friends' builds that I assisted on- it was in answer to a question "Have you ever built, or helped to build, an aircraft".

I would appreciate it if you would please remove or reword the sentence about my "backseater", as you put it. That is disrespectful to both of us, and untrue.

Well, it's really not our business to vett you, and I don't think it's fair for us to make you feel like you need to prove yourself. So really, I'd expect you to simply carry on and enjoy the forum. I don't want anyone to step in the door of POA and instantly feel like they are under a microscope, so again I say welcome, and apologize if you already feel like you are being tested.

That being said, we've had people come in here just to tell lies just to yank our chains. They generally get found out pretty quickly.

If you are legit, then there are pretty obvious ways to back up your stories, and besides backing up your stories, we simply love for people to share pictures of their experiences.

Frankly, you've already mentioned a way to somewhat prove yourself. You said you were published. What did you write?
Oh good lord, I wish they were still in print! I wrote - with a co-author- several books about aviation. One could probably be called a textbook, the rest were considered guides. How-to books for establishing a career, for getting financial assistance for flying, one on weather (the textbook-ish one) and then we wrote one that was a breakdown of small grass fields in the US, which we spent a summer visiting in a super Cub. All of these were originally published by a subsidiary of Lonely Planet in the early 90's. I very occasionally run across one on Amazon, but they are long out of print. Most of the grass fields in our book don't even exist any longer. EDIT: Oh, sorry, no, pseudonyms, just JW Jones and D Bain.

There's a lot about the story that seems, uh, far fetched, like how someone born in the thirties could be too young for Vietnam, especially someone who was already in the Air Force at twenty. Maybe like most stories from West Texas, it's just a little exaggerated. Or it's all BS.
Born in the 30's? Good lord, how old do you think I am? :) I don't post my actual birthdate online, as it is used too often for establishing identity, but I was born in the late 50's. LATE 50's.

Yes, I was on Quora! That is actually my only other forum experience. You are essentially correct,other than I didn't build all of those aircraft, I helped to build those aircraft. The Longeze and Velocity were my builds, with a partner, the rest were friends' builds that I assisted on- it was in answer to a question "Have you ever built, or helped to build, an aircraft".

I would appreciate it if you would please remove or reword the sentence about my "backseater", as you put it. That is disrespectful to both of us, and untrue.

I'm the one who wrote backseater and have removed it. I apologize if you found that term disrespectful. Should I have said WSO, RIO, GIB?

Maybe I read your story incorrectly because your description wasn't very clear but it sure came off like you and another crew member ejected from an F-5F, you lived and he died. Is that correct?

Yes, this question was submitted by a guy who I ****ed off. Did you read all of the answers submitted below it, or are you just going for shock value?
No and I didn't mean to jump to a conclusion. I must've missed that. Just saw that result in the returns from Google and thought it was coincidental that somebody was questioning some of same things folks from this board are. No harm intended.

That should be easy enough. You could start by following in years and N numbers to go with your exploits. Registration for the planes you've owned/built is all public record.
All of my planes have been registered to one of my corporations, and I am going to have to think a bit before posting that data online...I am very careful about making connections between my name and the corporations- which is the reason they exist in the first place. One of my old businesses that no longer exists and was formed before I bought the ranch I live on now are Warbirds LLC , which owned a Stearman, T-6, and T-28 , which it leased back to another corporation called Stinson Flight Center at Stinson field in San Antonio. I owned the planes and my partner and I (Who turned out to be a crook) owned Stinson Flight Center.

I'm the one who wrote backseater and have removed it. I apologize if you found that term disrespectful. Should I have said WSO, RIO, GIB?

Maybe I read your story incorrectly because your description wasn't very clear but it sure came off like you and another crew member ejected from an F-5F, you lived and he died. Is that correct?
That is correct, thank you for bringing that up. We were flying a test card in an F-5F, I did not "kill" him, which was my objection.

Born in the 30's? Good lord, how old do you think I am? :) I don't post my actual birthdate online, as it is used too often for establishing identity, but I was born in the late 50's. LATE 50's.
John Wayne was quite famous well before the late 50's.

OK, since this seems to be something more than simply doubting newcomers- there is a rabid element here that is the primary reason I left Quora even though I was one of the most popular writers. I am going to explain myself, and if this isn't enough for you, I will move on, probably to something imminently more healthy than the internet,anyway. I can see why new blood is rare here.

I was born in the very ate 50's, on our family ranch near Lajitas, Texas. I grew up, as I said, in airplanes. I soloed at 9, although I usually say 12 because people simply do not believe me when I say 9. Why 12 is more believable I don't know, but it cuts down on the BS I have to listen to.
I flew as a CFI, night charter, weather modification, you name it, while attending UT for my degree in Evolutionary Biology/herpetology. I eventually earned my Masters from Sul Ross.
One of my brothers was a zoomie, I wasn't interested. I could have easily gone the academy route, but I DESPISE military discipline. The nicest thing a commanding officer ever said about me outside of the cockpit was that I was "irreverent".
When I was accepted to OTS- which I attended at the Lackland annex- I already had about 5000 flight hours, 3000 of those as a CFI, 5 type ratings in biz jets and a DC-3 type.
I attended ENJJPT at Sheppard AFP, class 83-**. I was faip'ed, spent 36 mos as an IP after training (PIT) and eventually was given my #1 dreamsheet slot, F-15C, at Nellis, with the 65th AGRS.
I am not going in to too much detail, but I was also rated in the F-5E Tiger II, the last one we operated at that time, for DACT. A nearby T&E squadron which I will not name owned an F-5F, and as Capt Maguire and I were the senior F-5 pilots at the time, they asked up to fly a test card- it had nothing to do with the aircraft, it was an equipment test, something which had been added to the aircraft for test purposes.
We suffered a catastrophic engine failure during a zoom climb and the aircraft essentially exploded. Capt Maguire's position commanded the ejection, so essentially he saved my life. He did not survive.
I spent 16 months in the BAMC burn ward, an came home with two trophies. A dead friend. And a right leg and side that look like this: (This is a recent picture, of the cleanest part of my injury- the hip is the worst. I had 33 skin grafts to repair the damage.)

Welcome to my hell.
vr7znm.jpg

I fought my way back into the cockpit after amazingly painful surgeries and the pain of losing my friend.

If this isn't enough, I am finished here, so you have the power to send me packing, easily. Let me know.

Holy crap! I hope it gets better, or can get better! Wow! For the record I believe you.

All of my planes have been registered to one of my corporations, and I am going to have to think a bit before posting that data online...I am very careful about making connections between my name and the corporations- which is the reason they exist in the first place. One of my old businesses that no longer exists and was formed before I bought the ranch I live on now are Warbirds LLC , which owned a Stearman, T-6, and T-28 , which it leased back to another corporation called Stinson Flight Center at Stinson field in San Antonio. I owned the planes and my partner and I (Who turned out to be a crook) owned Stinson Flight Center.

I have no problem with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back