Howdy folks

Nushi

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sam
Hi folks. I'm new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. I've been bumming rides since I was in my teens with various pilots I've known and have spent some time in SW AK working around bushplanes. I solo'd on my 22nd birthday but never finished up for a myriad of reasons. After over a decade out of the saddle, I decided to finish up my ticket. In lieu of renting something, dealing with scheduling, etc, I bought an old 182 last May out of west Texas to complete my training in.

The differences between it and the 150s I had flown were pretty significant, at least to me. It is a whole lot more airplane and although it took some time getting used to the added complexity and extra weight in the nose, I'm so glad I went this route. I have a much more capable airplane that will eventually be a better family ship than a 172. At any rate, I am getting close(r) to being done and I'm having fun with the journey of it all.

My old girl is a '60 182C in good shape with new-ish paint and a fresh motor but with fairly original avionics. Since my initial purchase I've taken care of ads-b compliance, some other little squawks we've found and also added a Landis fork and slightly larger tires. I have a 530W waiting to go in along with an engine monitor and a pair of G5s. I dig the old school look and the manual flaps but like most folks this day in age, want that new technology inside the cockpit.

In general, I like the lower, slower, grassier side of life and this airplane will most likely reflect that as it evolves and I continue to fly and learn her. In the meantime, I'm trying to burn as much avgas as I can and get my cert knocked out. Looking forward to contributing here and hopefully learning a thing or two.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA!

Look forward to some pics of your plane. Also, where do you fly/train out of?

Welcome, low & slow is fine by me. If going long distance, much of the time airliners make more ‘cents’.

Welcome to the forum, Sam.

<----- 'nuther low and slow guy but with the wing installed as God meant it to be

Thanks fellas. I guess the powers that be have determined I'm not running a hacker den in Lagos.....few pics of my adventures thus far.

Ramp siblings

In her natural enviroment...

New shoes...

A few from my days in AK....the homeland.

Welcome, Sam!

You take fine pictures, this spring I sailed the coast of Georgia in the ICW, and the pictures of the salt marshes look much the same, just plain beautiful.

I earned my PPL in a straight tail 150, and added a straight tail 172. Mostly Cessna's including 182's, and prefer the manual flaps. You don't need to look to know how much you have, and the amount may be changed in an instant to what ever you need.

\Very pretty bird, and a good fit for the field. I have flown a little general aviation in Alaska, mostly right seat, and love the nature of the aviation there. The uniquely different rules up there are hard to beat for fun flying.

Back