How to valuate a collection of airplanes

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
A realtor friend of mine who knows nothing about small planes, has asked me to help him valuate an estate sale of real property and hanger on a private airstrip. I have not seen this place yet or any of the aircraft but I’m told there are four in a hanger. Two of them are crop dusters. The estate people want to sell as a package, not piecemeal. Any ideas on what kind of answer I should give him. Is Vref of any help.

All the crop dusters I know that aren’t flying regularly aren’t worth squat. They get rode hard and put away wet. But man, it’s hard to tell. Might be worth a bundle or might have to pay someone to haul the junk away.

selling in whole is going to mean getting scrap value IMO.

What kind of cropdusters ? There is a difference in value between a Pawnee and a turbine thrush or ATx02.

Where is that collection located (roughly) ?

What kind of cropdusters ? There is a difference in value between a Pawnee and a turbine thrush or ATx02
I do not know. Will find out Friday. He said One of them was a beechcraft but then he also said the other one was a Cessna 100 so like I said he really doesn’t now.

Any ideas on what kind of answer I should give him.

Tell your friend to stop being a cheapskate and hire a professional.
^^^^^This. Provided they are working aircraft. If it turns out to be nothing but rotting hulks then perhaps a call to a cropduster association to get more input and a direction to follow. But without more info can't offer anything else.

All the crop dusters I know that aren’t flying regularly aren’t worth squat. They get rode hard and put away wet.
I guess you've been away from the dusting side of things for a while. Last March I researched engines for 4 mothballed dusters going through a firefighting conversion. The value of the aircraft is in the $3M range.

^^^^^This. Provided they are working aircraft. If it turns out to be nothing but rotting hulks then perhaps a call to a cropduster association to get more input and a direction to follow. But without more info can't offer anything else.

I guess you've been away from the dusting side of things for a while. Last March I researched engines for 4 mothballed dusters going through a firefighting conversion. The value of the aircraft is in the $3M range.
All depends what kind of planes they are. Total crapshoot.

Back