How to use a technically grounded PA34?

Highflyer18

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Highflyer18
Hello,

A pilot friend of mine who owns a Seneca has noticed considerable damage to the camshafts and turbos. In the worst case scenario, costs of $150,000 are to be expected, so that my friend is planning not to have the Seneca repaired, but to use it as a future spare parts store for another Seneca.

How would you proceed? While the avionics, interior and e.g. the propellers can be reused, other parts such as the fuselage and boots are certainly no longer usable.

What is the best thing to do with the engines? Can you sell them to the engine overhaulers? Which parts of an otherwise intact Seneca would you definitely keep?
How much does it cost to strip down?

I would talk to these guys-
https://baspartsales.com/
They're the experts in salvage jobs and may be willing to purchase it for parts, or at least discuss what to do with it. Hate to see a Seneca go to waste though, I think its a great airframe. Depending on model, after new engines it would likely be worth everything that was put into it however to continue flying. Senecas with low time engines are going for mid $200k range currently.

but to use it as a future spare parts store for another Seneca.
FWIW: this route rarely works at the level you describe unless you're talking about a vintage aircraft like a Stearman or Cabin Waco and even then it can be very limited. In the end you are left with more unusable parts than used plus storage issues. If he really doesn't want to keep this airframe then you're money/time ahead to sell the 1st complete PA34 as is and priced accordingly. However, buying the 2nd 34 with its unknowns and conditions doesn't necessarily make it the better deal either. Repairing the 1st 34 gives you a known condition, etc. Something to think about. I've parted out many aircraft over the years for various reasons but never considered it the most optimal route to take.

Back