How to start flying?

At 14, I would suggest you look for a glider school. You are old enough to train and solo a glider, but you won't be able to solo an airplane for a few years.

If you want to get a jump on training, there are some free resources to learn ground school on Youtube and Fly8MA.com has a free private pilot ground school.

Hello I am jesse and I m 14 and I want to be a pilot, however I don't know where to start and I've never flown a real plane.

Step 1: Go to an airport and ask for a discovery flight. This is the coolest thing you can do at your age. You will get to take off, and fly the plane. The instructor will land it but this is going to give you the taste of aviation that will keep you motivated.

Also, you have awhile before you can be a pilot so you can take more discovery flights to get that hands on flying fix.

Step 2: Ground school is the real first step. I happen to be good friends with this great guy named Russ (@write-stuff) who runs an online ground school called Gold Seal. It will teach you what you need to know to pack your brain with flying information, requirements, and get you ready for the test. Russ, is there a min age to take the written?

Step 3: At your age, I would by a copy of X-Plane flight simulator and practice. Don't just fly aimlessly, look at each gauge and learn what it does, how it works, etc. Then fly the sim and pay attention to what they are doing.

Step 4: Get active in this and other online communities. Ask questions.

Step 5 : (The most important step) Stay away from Drugs and Women! Flight training is going to be expensive and you you will need to start saving so you can afford it.

Is there a facebook group for your local pilots? For instance. I live in North Dallas and there is a big FB group called the North Texas Pilots. I forgot you are 14. Jesse, Facebook is like how people used to communicate when the Earth first cooled and marked the dawn of the invention of the "like". It probably seems old school but if you can get on fb and find a local pilot group, you may have a few folks that would love to take you up and show you aviation. We love sharing this drug (flying) with people we hope to get addicted.

Get on youtube and find some of the younger guys (aviation101, Matt Guthmiller) and follow their adventures. Or if you are a TikTok user, FlyWithKay, DirtbagPilot, FlyFastPlanes, Flying4aliving.

Finding a community is important because it is easy to lose motivation on this journey.

Don't worry about the flying yet - worry about figuring out how you work and save lots and lots of money. You can't start training if you can't pay for it. Earlier you can start on that, the further you'll be ahead once you are old enough.

Signed,

A guy that paid for it when I was 16 by fixing computers at Best Buy.

Last edited:
1) Local EAA chapter that offers Young Eagle flights. EAA and EAA chapters have scholarships available.

https://yeday.org

to find YE flights in your area

2) Join Civil Air Patrol (no gripes please). Cadets can apply to the CadetInvest program for scholarships for flight training. CAP also offers glider and powered Orientation rides for cadets.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cadetinvest
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap-unit-locator

3) JROTC - Junior ROTC. Offers a summer program for flight training, if selected.

4) Naval Sea Cadets - also a summer flight program if selected.

Besides all the good advice alredy given go to the FAA website and download the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, it's free and it's what the written test will be about. You have time, read it and understand it, make it your bedtime reading.

There a lot of studying on a pilots path, but it's awsome, some get there dream early and for some it takes a while, just keep your eye on the ball.

After a discovery flight I'd ask if they need any help in the FBO or maintenance shop. Sounds like a good summer job to me.

The other day I found a fisher horizon for $10k, flying and in annual.

I also found a certified two seater for $13k. Serviceable and flyable. How do I know? Hmmm.

While prices have been inflated, these prices are realistically within reach of someone who saves money and works during high school to buy their own airplane. Studying ground school between now and then isn’t bad- heck, you could take the written for several ratings before 16.

Had I known in high school that I could have flown for the cost of gas, insurance and tiedown, things would be very different. Hitching a ride with young eagles, flying with civil air patrol, or working at an FBO is one thing; owning your own airplane early on reaches you a whole lot of other responsibilities while making you a better pilot.

A little early to hoist on a 14 year old? Sure.

But why not dream big? Our current generation sometimes lacks aspiration and inspiration to kick butt and achieve when hungry.

Tell your parents you want to own an airplane. Some parents help motivated children achieve kids that have dreams with perfect grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find a flight school
Ask at local airports
Join civil air patrol
Get a job to pay for it all.

I don’t see where you live, maybe one of us can take you up on an intro flight?

Yes, units vary, you won’t learn to fly there, give some thought to the CAP.

You have plans for Airventure in Oshkosh this Summer?

https://www.eaa.org/airventure

Yes, stay out of trouble. Find other ways to sooth yourself besides prescribed head-meds.

You saw the latest Too Gun movie, right? Someone has to do it.

I have had more potential students derailed from flight training by Alcohol and Prescription Drugs (ADHD or Anti-Depressants) than anything else....
If you are on ANY prescription drugs, you need to talk to an Aviation Medical Examiner about the specific drugs' potential impact on your plans.

If you are on prescription drugs, DO NOT stop taking them. Just find an AME and discuss them with him. The FAA is okay with most drugs, so this is just a check. If something is a potential problem the AME and your primary care physician can figure out a course ahead.

You can find an AME here:
https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Stay away from alcohol and legal and illegal recreational drugs. First, they actually do rot your brain and stunt your emotional growth (personal experience), and second, a conviction of any type including possession or DUI will throw a wrench into your plans.

Keep your eye on the prize!
Good luck!
Everyone here is rooting for you and will provide whatever help they can.

Start out with a free young eagles flight,then try a discovery flight with an instructor. Also the EAA offers ground school training for young eagles.

CAP Cadets can get all the way through their Private and then proficiency flying after they get their PP. All for free.

It does take some work.

Aviation Explorers could be a good fit for you, it is youth ages 14 to 21. There aren't a lot of Aviation Explorer "Posts" around though, so it might take some searching to see if there is an active one near you.

If you fill out this form: https://www.exploring.org/get-involved/
They can help you find a Post near you.

If you are on prescription drugs, DO NOT stop taking them

Correct, Stopping taking the drug won't fix the problem in the FAA's eye's. They are more concerned about why you were taking the drug in the first place.
The question the Medical form asks is "are you or have you ever...."

Below is the paper version of the form with the questions they are going to ask. If you answer any question that might raise a flag, You need to do your research on what the FAA will likely do as a result..., and exactly how you should explain it. Before you take the physical exam.

And a little common sense in answering is useful also which is why your research any issues. I know of one student you checked Yes to the Fainting or Unconsciousness. (I don't recall which or maybe it was both) for passing out will playing a "pass-out" game as a teen. He passed out one time, when trying to by holding his breath. A very dumb game by the way with lots of stories of bad out-comes. He never had any other issues, other than after the medical exam he had to go have a number of tests done and the results sent to the FAA to prove he wasn't as likely to have further fainting episodes. And it took him and additional 6 to 9 months to get his medical.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

850081.jpg

Hey Jesse I'm 84 now. But 70 years ago when I was 14, I was a CAP Cadet. Later when I was 15 I was able to take flying lessons. (My dad helped me.) I soloed when I was 16, PPL when 17 and I still fly today.
I was able to work as a mechanic's helper and line boy to pay for flights.
Good luck.

Hello I am jesse and I m 14 and I want to be a pilot, however I don't know where to start and I've never flown a real plane.

Work and study hard. Stay away from alcohol. Do not become a problem to your parents or teachers lest they put you on career killing drugs.

I have had more potential students derailed from flight training by Alcohol and Prescription Drugs (ADHD or Anti-Depressants) than anything else.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
Once Jesse starts lessons he won't have money for drugs nor women. Best way to fly is to throw yourself to the ground,and miss. ;)

that’s all I got to say about that

Don’t you mean shrimp?

So here I am, living on the gulf… got my license (out of state), bought an inshore rod, a little tackle, a beach cart…. Caught some whiting.

If my math is correct, this stuff is $50/ounce and I haven’t touched my plane…

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread, where ever it started! Or would that be… So what is the real question (now that we know the answer)?

Step 5 : (The most important step) Stay away from Drugs and Women! Flight training is going to be expensive and you you will need to start saving so you can afford it

+1. Spend your money now on flight training and the women will come later at minimal expense. (so I've been told) ; )

It's actually pretty easy to start flying. Point your plane down the runway, advance the throttle, apply a little back pressure to the stick or yoke, and you'll start flying. To stop flying is a greater challenge, at least if you want the plane and pilot to be reusable afterward.

Now, to get to the point where you are actually sitting in a plane with a license in your pocket and and able to do the above will take some effort. Many good suggestions have been made in this thread, to which I'll add that you need to learn to network. Get to know people in aviation - pilots, instructors, mechanics, airport staff, etc. Knowing one person will lead to another person.

As you start to network and build relationships, more opportunities will present themselves. Take advantge of as many as you can, even if it's just helping to wash someone's plane or helping out as a volunteer at a fly-in. Pilots love to fly, and you'll get invited to go along once in a while. You might learn about training opportunities. Folks will lend you books and videos. They'll coach you on the technical knowledge you will need. Over time aviation will begin to soak into your skin and good things will happen.

Becoming active on this forum is a good first step. See how much help you've already been given?

Good luck and clear skies!

Besides all the good advice alredy given go to the FAA website and download the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, it's free and it's what the written test will be about. You have time, read it and understand it, make it your bedtime reading.

There a lot of studying on a pilots path, but it's awsome, some get there dream early and for some it takes a while, just keep your eye on the ball.
Thanks! I've just bought one.

Step 1: Go to an airport and ask for a discovery flight. This is the coolest thing you can do at your age. You will get to take off, and fly the plane. The instructor will land it but this is going to give you the taste of aviation that will keep you motivated.

Also, you have awhile before you can be a pilot so you can take more discovery flights to get that hands on flying fix.

Step 2: Ground school is the real first step. I happen to be good friends with this great guy named Russ (@write-stuff) who runs an online ground school called Gold Seal. It will teach you what you need to know to pack your brain with flying information, requirements, and get you ready for the test. Russ, is there a min age to take the written?

Step 3: At your age, I would by a copy of X-Plane flight simulator and practice. Don't just fly aimlessly, look at each gauge and learn what it does, how it works, etc. Then fly the sim and pay attention to what they are doing.

Step 4: Get active in this and other online communities. Ask questions.

Step 5 : (The most important step) Stay away from Drugs and Women! Flight training is going to be expensive and you you will need to start saving so you can afford it.

Is there a facebook group for your local pilots? For instance. I live in North Dallas and there is a big FB group called the North Texas Pilots. I forgot you are 14. Jesse, Facebook is like how people used to communicate when the Earth first cooled and marked the dawn of the invention of the "like". It probably seems old school but if you can get on fb and find a local pilot group, you may have a few folks that would love to take you up and show you aviation. We love sharing this drug (flying) with people we hope to get addicted.

Get on youtube and find some of the younger guys (aviation101, Matt Guthmiller) and follow their adventures. Or if you are a TikTok user, FlyWithKay, DirtbagPilot, FlyFastPlanes, Flying4aliving.

Finding a community is important because it is easy to lose motivation on this journey.
Thanks for help, I've been following FlyWithKay on tik tok and I'm subscribed to 74 gear on youtbe, 74 gear is a Boeing 747 pilot. One of my brothers friend is a pilot. Unfortunately I don't own a computer powerful enough to run x plane however it can run GEOFS wich is a browser flight sim and is fairly decent for the fact it runs on a browser I Aldo just bought an FAA airplane safery book.

In addition to the discovery flight, start reading some books (From the Ground Up, Stick and Rudder, The Killing Zone, FAA ebooks are mostly free from their website).

Hey Jesse I'm 84 now. But 70 years ago when I was 14, I was a CAP Cadet. Later when I was 15 I was able to take flying lessons. (My dad helped me.) I soloed when I was 16, PPL when 17 and I still fly today.
I was able to work as a mechanic's helper and line boy to pay for flights.
Good luck.
Thanks!

Correct, Stopping taking the drug won't fix the problem in the FAA's eye's. They are more concerned about why you were taking the drug in the first place.
The question the Medical form asks is "are you or have you ever...."

Below is the paper version of the form with the questions they are going to ask. If you answer any question that might raise a flag, You need to do your research on what the FAA will likely do as a result..., and exactly how you should explain it. Before you take the physical exam.

And a little common sense in answering is useful also which is why your research any issues. I know of one student you checked Yes to the Fainting or Unconsciousness. (I don't recall which or maybe it was both) for passing out will playing a "pass-out" game as a teen. He passed out one time, when trying to by holding his breath. A very dumb game by the way with lots of stories of bad out-comes. He never had any other issues, other than after the medical exam he had to go have a number of tests done and the results sent to the FAA to prove he wasn't as likely to have further fainting episodes. And it took him and additional 6 to 9 months to get his medical.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

850081.jpg
I've looked over the paper and the only thing I have is adhd do I think that's good.

Back