How to set up internet webcam for WX at home

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I have a security DVR system with a few cameras setup at the house. I can access the cameras to view DVR files (either live or old) from a computer at the house through the router. I cannot however access the houses DVR cameras throught he internet when away from home.

I am interested in being able to view the cameras over the internet. It would be nice to be able to see what the weather is around home, what the bases are over the mountain ridges, etc.

What options are there to view cameras at your home over the internet when away from home?

I have a security DVR system with a few cameras setup at the house. I can access the cameras to view DVR files (either live or old) from a computer at the house through the router. I cannot however access the houses DVR cameras throught he internet when away from home.

I am interested in being able to view the cameras over the internet. It would be nice to be able to see what the weather is around home, what the bases are over the mountain ridges, etc.

What options are there to view cameras at your home over the internet when away from home?

FORANE, We use iSpy from http://www.ispyconnect.com/ for this purpose. It works with most IP cameras. The software is free and open source but seems to be mature in its development.

If you cameras are not IP capable, you may have to turn to the manufacturer of your DVR system for a solution.

I just picked one up from Frys by Swann. I think it's called "SwannEye". It pans up/down/left/right and was fairly easy to get it taking to the wifi router. Price was around $250 and I think I had it working and the app for it downloaded and configured in about 30 minutes.

FORANE, We use iSpy from http://www.ispyconnect.com/ for this purpose. It works with most IP cameras. The software is free and open source but seems to be mature in its development.

If you cameras are not IP capable, you may have to turn to the manufacturer of your DVR system for a solution.
The site states "We charge for remote web access". Looks like it is no longer free?

Do you need software to view or just a we page? If a web page then you just need to allow those ports through the firewall and then use your public IP address instead of the hostname of the DVD

Forane - what kind of cameras are they? IP cam or proprietary DVR?

write-stuff - $250? Yeesh.

I have a few of these at $50ish:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054TW1WC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I open a port on my router's firewall and can view via a website or iphone app...
Gosh, it has been a while since I set this up and do not remember the brand; they are not proprietary. I use a program "dvr remote desktop" to view them on the house computer.
It is the setting up a dynamic DNS stage that I gave up on when I initially tried to set it up.

My time warner cable modem has the same IP address for 6-8 months at time.. so I dont need the dynDNS. The camera also sends out an email everytime it starts up with the IP - so I know it when/if it does change.

Are your cameras hooked to wifi or your network? Or are they pluged in via video cable to a DVR system?

My time warner cable modem has the same IP address for 6-8 months at time.. so I dont need the dynDNS. The camera also sends out an email everytime it starts up with the IP - so I know it when/if it does change.

Are your cameras hooked to wifi or your network? Or are they pluged in via video cable to a DVR system?
They are hardwired cable (RG58 I think) to the DVR. The DVR is hardwired (ethernet cable I think) to the router.

This is the DVR I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Embed...&qid=1390672502&sr=1-40&keywords=dvr+security

Last edited:
It says it has a built-in web server for remote viewing. You would forward Port 80 to the IP Address of the DVR within your router the use the Public IP address of your ISP and you should be able to view the webpage
Might be faster for me to fly to NY, pick you up, fly back to TN, have you do it in person; I have logged into the router and attempted port forwarding before but in experience level I would say I am on par with a 2-4 hour student pilot.
I am out of state away from home now, but will try looking into this next weekend when I am home.
Thanks for the replies.

Back