How to Replace C150 Cabin Air Cable

ltwitty

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ltwitty
Does anyone have information on how to replace the cabin air cable in a Cessna 150G - 1967?

Thanks for the reply...but I'm looking for a little more information. The cable penetrates the firewall and curves to the right side and connects to the flap on the fuselage. I'm sure I would need to use some sort of access panel???

Thanks for the reply...but I'm looking for a little more information. The cable penetrates the firewall and curves to the right side and connects to the flap on the fuselage. I'm sure I would need to use some sort of access panel???
Ummm ... a couple of questions ...

1. Why do you need to replace it and ...

2. If this simple a procedure has you looking for access panels methinks you need to find a friendly 150 owner who can help you with owner repairs or a friendly freelance (NOT THE FBO) mechanic willing to do the same. Repairs on a '60s Cessna and a '60s Chevy are remarkably similar. They also use remarkably similar parts.

Jim

Really, that's it, no special details needed

Thanks...I'll check it out. Maybe I was thinking it was harder than it really is. I'll see what I can do!

Does anyone have information on how to replace the cabin air cable in a Cessna 150G - 1967?

Really depends upon what you are doing?

replacing the inner wire is as easy as pulling it out and shoving the new one in.

The wire that was connected to the little metal flap on the right side that allows air to flow into the cabin broke...so the flap is no longer connected. It just swings on a hinge.

The pull works in reverse...to close the flap...you push the knob in...which pulls the flap shut. To open flap, you pull the knob out...which pushes the flap open. So, it leads me to believe there must be some other wire that the knob cable is hooked to first...then that must control a second wire that opens and closes the flap. The wire that is connect to the flap is the wire that is broken...Make sense?

The wire that was connected to the little metal flap on the right side that allows air to flow into the cabin broke...so the flap is no longer connected. It just swings on a hinge.

The pull works in reverse...to close the flap...you push the knob in...which pulls the flap shut. To open flap, you pull the knob out...which pushes the flap open. So, it leads me to believe there must be some other wire that the knob cable is hooked to first...then that must control a second wire that opens and closes the flap. The wire that is connect to the flap is the wire that is broken...Make sense?

No, it is just a wire

It's a bellcrank located on the left side of the air duct in the cabin that reverses the action. The cable that goes through the firewall is the heat control. To fix your broken flapper cable you'll have to remove the duct.

Slivaire, Thanks so much. That is exactly what I found today. A level reverses the action. It looks like I will have to remove the insulation and somehow as you mentioned the duct. How does the duct come off? Any thoughts on removing it? Thanks!

It's an absolute PITA, I don't envy you.

I'm not visualizing why you have to remove the ductwork to replace that cable. TomD, comments?

Jim

The outer cable housing stays with the duct, it should not be removed. The inner wire goes from the knob to the vent door. it is attached to the door control arm. on the other side of the hinge.
remove the door hinge pin. you will see the inner wire. go into the cabin and pull it out. leave the outer housing in place.

the new inner wire should push right back into the outer housing and come out thru the vent door. bend the joggle to match the old wire and attach to the door, and reinstall the hinge pin. you get 1 chance to get the length right so pay attention to the old wire and match the length.

See figure 33A in the Cessna 150 IPC

Last edited:
Tom...thanks for the info. Where can I get a copy of the Cessna 150 IPC and even a service manual for the C150G?

and where can I order the inner wire.

Also, trying to get access to the inside arm where the wire is attached looked tight and difficult...but I will try this week.

Thanks...your comments have been very helpful!

I'm not visualizing why you have to remove the ductwork to replace that cable. TomD, comments?

Jim

If you can get all of the original cable and broken bits out of the housing you don't but if not, or if the housing is messed up for some other reason (unlikely) you do. Either way it's still a pain in the but just because of where it's at. Not so bad if you're in your 20's but old bodies just don't fold like young ones do :wink2:

Wire is p/n S-1398-1 bulk item 21.10 inches long
casing is p/n S-1398-2 bulk item 15.6 inches long

Parts Manual

If you can get all of the original cable and broken bits out of the housing you don't but if not, or if the housing is messed up for some other reason (unlikely) you do. Either way it's still a pain in the but just because of where it's at. Not so bad if you're in your 20's but old bodies just don't fold like young ones do :wink2:

the inner wire never breaks in two places at once. you pull the broken part out thru the vent door, and the knob thru the instrument panel.

then shove the new wire in and allow it to protrude thru the vent door opening. cut to length, bend the joggle and hook it up

then we need need to know if you have a two part cable assembly.

Aircraft Serial number please .

15064533 thru 15069308 uses a cable from the instrument panel to the lever arm and a different cable assembly from lever arm to the vent door.

If this is the aircraft you have do you know which part of the assembly is broken?

Wire is p/n S-1398-1 bulk item 21.10 inches long
casing is p/n S-1398-2 bulk item 15.6 inches long

Parts Manual
that's if he has the two part cable assembly, Item 1 in figure 33A gives the other half. (S1239-11 and or -31)

note the usable on code.

Yes...I have the 2 cable system. The part that is broken is the cable running from the lever arm to the outside flapper. It broke right at the flapper.

Do you have a parts number for the inner wire and a company to call?

Thanks

Yes...I have the 2 cable system. The part that is broken is the cable running from the lever arm to the outside flapper. It broke right at the flapper.

Do you have a parts number for the inner wire and a company to call?

Thanks

Yep the duct comes out to gain access to the cable's left end and bell crank.

The inner wire is the same as the wire used on lawn mowers and garden tractors.

Or you can call your local Cessna dealer.

when you say the duct comes out...are you referring to a small piece on the left side that looks like it is holding the arm in place. I'm going to look at it again this afternoon.

If there is access to the left end I'm not aware of it. Can you see or get to the left end in your aircraft?

the right side access is the door its self. by pulling the hinge pin.

The Cessna 100 service manual doesn't show much.

when you say the duct comes out...are you referring to a small piece on the left side that looks like it is holding the arm in place. I'm going to look at it again this afternoon.

Yes...I can see the lever arm right above the left side rudder pedals. I can see the main cable from the console going to the lever arm. That cable is fine. I can pull it and watch the lever move. When the lever moves it pushes and pulls the second cable that runs through the duct work and is connected to the flapper outside. I can't tell whether I can unbolt the lever and pull the inner wire out and push a new one back in. I'm going to have to really crunch down and poke around. It is a tight place to get to. That was the reason I was hoping someone had done this and could offer some advice. I really hope that I can somehow detach the lever arm. I can't imagine having to remove the whole piece of duct work. It runs from the left side all the way to the right side. It looks riveted...I don't see how it could be removed!

Back