How to replace a missing STC?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Rifling through the mounds of paperwork that came with my plane from the previous owners...(they were meticulous...I think I have almost ever receipt from the day it came off the line)... and found in a random earlier appraisal report that my 182 had the Peterson Mogas STC #SE1997CE added back in 1987. Confirmed it in the logs, but I do not have the STC paperwork...have other STC's, but not that one.

Question is: What is involved in getting a copy of the STC paperwork? I emailed Peterson Aviation as a start...or should I request a copy of the aircraft records from the FAA?...and is that something someone can just send me a "copy" of to be legit?

Reality is the plane is now in California and it will be pretty useless...but would like to have it all in order if I can.

Last edited:
While you're at it you are looking for 2 separate stc's one each for the engine and airframe

I'd start with Peterson and go from there. I would think that they'd have a record of it and hopefully they will, for a fee, send you duplicates for your records.

Technically a 337 should have been filed so if you have a copy of that honestly, I'd consider the STC paperwork sort of like your misplaced Social Security card. You're legal and you've got it, just not able to say exactly where it is at this moment.

For starters the STC should be carried in the aircraft, have you looked there?

Ordering the CD from OKC will only get you the history records of the aircraft ( the 337 that was filed) if it was.

Call Peterson, they will have a copy for you, the can fax it or attach it to an E-Mail,

Say what? I've never carried an STC in the plane for anything. Flight manual supplements yes, 337's for passenger compartment tanks, perhaps, but the STC?

Doesn't the Petersen STC give you a band to attach to your dipstick tube (they call it an engine placard) as well as fuel placards for near your filler?

Not required. However, there are folks that do prefer to. I think there might be a one page pamphlet on testing auto fuel, but its not an FAA approved document required to be in the airplane.

Doesn't the Petersen STC give you a band to attach to your dipstick tube (they call it an engine placard) as well as fuel placards for near your filler?

Far as I can remember in regards to the Peterson STC, the only things needed to be in/on the airplane are the placards in the kit. The last one I installed had a tag that was secured to the oil filler tube on the engine also.

Shawn, first thing I would do is buy the CD from the FAA for your airplane. Based on what you find on it, then maybe you need to get copies from Peterson which may not be free. They will look up your airplane serial # and verify that the owner actually bought the STC.

YMMWV but here is what I do when filing 337's, other may do differently:

337 filled out and signed attached to it will be the STC cover page, a letter of authorization (LOA) from the STC holder to use the STC, and I like to attach the master document/index/drawing list too. If there is an FAA approved flight manual supplement I place a copy of it in the aircraft flight manual and keep the original in the aircraft records binder.

If the 337 made it to the FAA, it may have all the information you want, depending on what was attached to it.

Last edited:
I went through this same issue when I bought my 182.

Peterson doesn't just replace it. They charge 1/2 of what it would cost to buy a new one if they have record of the initial purchase, they did on mine.

EAA OTOH replaces the STC for a nominal paperwork charge. $20 IIRC.

This is a good reason to buy from EAA and not Petersen when purchasing the STC up front.

Disclaimer: The above information is from 2004 when I went through the process, they both may have changed policy since.

Last edited:
Not required. However, there are folks that do prefer to. I think there might be a one page pamphlet on testing auto fuel, but its not an FAA approved document required to be in the airplane.

It isn't part of AROW but the instructions for installation for the STC does say a copy is to be carried in the aircraft

A copy of the STC is not required to be sent to the FAA to be placed in the history files.

The history files on the CD will have 2 major sections, the maintenance files, and the ownership files, neither will have what he needs.

read

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.9-1F.pdf

So your saying you don't forward a copy of the approval data with your 337? :dunno: Why?

It's an STC, the FAA already knows it is approved data, you are not asking the local PMI to approve anything.

You as the A&P-IA are approving the installation not the data.

It's an STC, the FAA already knows it is approved data, you are not asking the local PMI to approve anything.

You as the A&P-IA are approving the installation not the data.

The FAA doesn't hold copies of the 8110-3 or 8100-9 for an approval other than STC, would you be doing it then?

...Peterson doesn't just replace it. They charge 1/2 of what it would cost to buy a new one if they have record of the initial purchase, they did on mine....

Yup, just checked their website - $0.75 per HP to update your paperwork as opposed to $1.50 per HP for new purchase.

So, as I said, if you've got the placards and the logbook entry I'd consider you've got the paperwork.......somewhere. Unless it's gonna keep you awake at night and you've got a Franklin burning a hole in your wallet :rolleyes:

Well, I did get get a response back from Peterson that was less than favorable from what I was expecting with a response sent back...so we will see where it all lands before I post the outcome.

Well, I did get get a response back from Peterson that was less than favorable from what I was expecting with a response sent back...so we will see where it all lands before I post the outcome.

Hmmmm..

Let me guess....

They have NO record of a auto fuel STC purchase for that airframe and motor, and you have a logbook entry without any additional paperwork to confirm it...:eek::sad:

Technically a 337 should have been filed so if you have a copy of that honestly, I'd consider the STC paperwork sort of like your misplaced Social Security card. You're legal and you've got it, just not able to say exactly where it is at this moment.

Does that make the airplane an "undocumented worker"? ROFL.

block #8 of the 34V's 337 for auto fuel.

Attachments

• fuel stc.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Ordering the CD from OKC will only get you the history records of the aircraft ( the 337 that was filed) if it was.

Call Peterson, they will have a copy for you, the can fax it or attach it to an E-Mail,

Only some STC's are require to be carried, specifically extra fuel tanks. You can thank the war on drugs for that.

I forward the approval whether an STC, 8100-11, 8110-3, 8100-9 etc, including the LOA, so the customer doesn't have to try and reproduce them long after the deed was done and the STC holder went bankrupt or deceased.

Makes it much easier.

So got a response back from Mr. Todd Peterson himself. It seems that if you loose a document...they will not simply replace the document, they make you repurchase the STC at today's cost of $345.00. Now, they were offering a "pretty good deal" by giving me a 33% discount....but the moral of the story...make copies and back up copies cuz if you loose a peice of paper, they won't stand by their sales and make you buy the whole thing again.

I said from the start that I wasn't looking for anything for free...but having to repurchase the STC is just flat out bad business and bad customer service. Guess the Peterson reputation isn't as good as I heard it was.

Not worth spending the money since I am in CA and Mogas isn't even available.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. If you are ever at an airport in Oregon or Nebraska where they have mogas the kid at the pumps isn't gonna ask to see a copy of your STC paperwork. If you have the placards and the logbook entry just maintain that the papers are in the binder at home with everything else.

Point is - nobody is ever going to ask to see it.

Oh, and next time you start a thread like this open with - "I have a buddy who...."

they won't stand by their sales and make you buy the whole thing again.
QUOTE]

You must be fairly new to aviation. You bring an aircraft to any FBO/MRO and they need the ICA (instructions for continued airworthiness) for some antenna installed 5 years ago at Joe Blow's Modification Center, Joe Blow may charge you $1 per page or $1,000 per page for the document.

It is not in any way shape or form Joe Blow's responsibilty to maintain and keep track of your records.

This happens all the time were I work. Ask the customers for the ICA's and get a blank stare, you know it's gonna be a $bad$ time.

Last edited:
I am new to aviation...but not new to running a business and customer service.

You are right, it is not Joe Blow's responsibility to keep track or maintain my records...but having to repurchase the whole product event at a discount...to replace a document which is juts a PART of the whole product just seems like a crappy way to run a business that is pretty dependent on your reputation.

They have the option to charge what they want...and I as a customer have the option to patronize their business or not...and of now it is not because the STC isn't of much value to me in my situation.

It is the having to buy the whole thing again that irks me to send a replacement document....which they said they have.

Business must be bad in the MoGas STC game with all that Corn Juice out there. Not worth his time to sell so he jacked up the price.

Back