How to remove wing mold

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
I'm helping a friend get a Cherokee that's been sitting back in the air. It's been out on a tiedown and the top of the wings are covered in black mold.

Any tips or tricks to appropriately remove and kill the mold so it doesn't return without hurting the aluminum?

Thanks.

-Jim

It is probably algae and needs sunlight to survive. There are all sorts of solutions for that, but most are harmful to aluminum.

Shade works well if you have a way to make that happen without trapping moisture.

If the paint is in decent shape, you might get away with pressure washing it. Be careful, you might take the paint off too..

It is probably algae and needs sunlight to survive. There are all sorts of solutions for that, but most are harmful to aluminum.

Shade works well if you have a way to make that happen without trapping moisture.

If the paint is in decent shape, you might get away with pressure washing it. Be careful, you might take the paint off too..

You might be right with the algae - it looks black but when I try to scrub it off it turns greenish. It's definitely stubborn and takes A LOT of elbow grease to get through it. Paint underneath has not fared well in the elements and the mold/algae is pretty well embedded. I may try the power washer gently, if the FBO hasn't already shut off the water for the winter.

Paint underneath has not fared well in the elements and the mold/algae is pretty well embedded.
Without more details really cant offer specifics. What are your plans for the aircraft: keep it, sell it, rent it? There are some processes that can clean this up, but if the mold has "embedded" into the paint your options for 100% removal and saving the paint are limited. For example, if looking to sell the aircraft, you may just want hand wash it and compound it, but if keeping the aircraft there are some specialty products out there that are designed for this however come at a price. Perhaps some info or a pic and I can direct you to something more specific. What do the interior of the wings and cabin look like?

Any tips or tricks to appropriately remove and kill the mold so it doesn't return without hurting the aluminum?
I've used the "Tilex" formula with some success... one quart bleach, 2 quarts water, half a cup of Dawn dishwashing detergent.

Spray or sponge it on and let is sit 30 minutes. Sponge or brush gently. Repeat as required. I had some moldy wheels (damp hangar) that took about three passes to end up bright and shiny.

I then rinsed with clean water, and did a paint thinner wipe to restore some level of hydrocarbon anti-corrosion. Light oil would work, but might be messy on a wing.

Paul

Without more details really cant offer specifics. What are your plans for the aircraft: keep it, sell it, rent it? There are some processes that can clean this up, but if the mold has "embedded" into the paint your options for 100% removal and saving the paint are limited. For example, if looking to sell the aircraft, you may just want hand wash it and compound it, but if keeping the aircraft there are some specialty products out there that are designed for this however come at a price. Perhaps some info or a pic and I can direct you to something more specific. What do the interior of the wings and cabin look like?

Plan is still TBD. Step one is to try to determine if sitting has done any damage to the engine or airframe. If not and we get it airworthy, I may consider buying it. I can try to post some pictures. I think that the paint is shot - the mold/algae areas feel pretty rough to the touch. Interior was redone shortly before the plane was parked so it's in nice shape. We plan to look inside the wings later this week.

Wash/compound probably makes the most sense, at least initially. Just wasn't sure if I need to kill this stuff first or if a good scrub will be sufficient.

I've used the "Tilex" formula with some success... one quart bleach
FYI: bleach is not something you want to leave laying around the aircraft aluminum surfaces or internal areas regardless how good it cleans. Personally I do not recommend using bleach on any aircraft.

Wash/compound probably makes the most sense, at least initially.
At this point I'd just give it a good washing with an aircraft based soap until you determine what you plan to do. Post more questions if you need.

edit: Dont use TSP:/
But google may show cases when to use it on aluminium:mad:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, these responses are all very helpful. General intent was to see if there was a well regarded "go-to" solution to clean this off - sounds like it's not quite that simple. Right now the mold/algae removal is buried beneath a list of other more pressing concerns. I'll give it a good bath and attend to the engine/airframe inspections and then report back if I need to explore more ways to clean.

Thanks!

I’d give this stuff a try. I looked at all the ingredients found nothing harmful and frankly some things helpful to aluminum- I’d have a hard time believing this wouldn’t do it.

I cleaned a oily Cessna belly with it and it did so good I went and got more and did the rest of the plane! The single stage paint really like the oils that were In it too. Gave it a deep luster and no oily residue. Lots of folks used to use kerosene to buff single stage painted cars- basically same thing as “petroleum distillates” . I can’t imagine it wouldn’t eat through algae… I’d slather it in go get lunch or go home for the night n wipe it off after a wait.

and it’s $2 at Walmart

9447990E-FCE7-4D08-869B-3A188D1DD1E4.jpeg 75419B49-F8B3-459D-A9D2-9A87B84A96F9.jpeg

aluminum safe simple green and a soft scrub brush?

I use Roundup on my aluminum painted garage door and concrete driveway to kill algae. It works amazingly well. No scrubbing needed. Not telling you to do this to an airplane, just my experience.

Back