How to record cockpit audio (A20 + iPhone)

Marion

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marion
Hi,
Anyone knows how I could record my cockpit audio (ATC coms) on my iPhone?
I know it is possible using a GoPro but I was wondering if there wasn't a more simple and cheaper solution.
I have a bluetooth A20, isn't there an app I could download on my iPhone that would simply record everything when connected via bluetooth? I fly a 172 if that matters.
Thanks in advance!

A common method is popping a lavilier mic into one of the headset ear pieces. Then launch voice recorder.

Thanks, I’ll check this!

You can do the same with wireless earbuds. That's what I've done. Quality isn't perfect, but they're knockoff earbuds.

I ordered a "Video Recorder Audio Adapter - Fixed Wing" from MyPilotStore which plugs inline with your headset, in conjunction with a "Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB".

The Sony device has plenty of onboard storage. I've been using this and syncing up with my GoPro video for "watching the tape". It's about the size of a Snickers bar. You get both comms radio and cockpit conversation/avionics audio this way. I opted for this method as I have my phone w/ Garmin Pilot via a RAM mount in the window - and I just didn't want to have the phone burdened with recording as well.

Additionally, as I have ambient audio from the GoPro - I can layer in this ambient audio once synced for engine and other ambient noise.

The video "5 Ways to Record Cockpit and ATC Audio | The Right Way | 2019" on YouTube is where I found this information. This video shows the various methods.

This seems to be the method that many of the YouTubers use to produce their videos w/ audio. I'm getting some very high quality results.

(Sorry, I don't think I can post links just yet as a new site user).

I ordered a "Video Recorder Audio Adapter - Fixed Wing" from MyPilotStore which plugs inline with your headset, in conjunction with a "Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder with Built-in USB".

The Sony device has plenty of onboard storage. I've been using this and syncing up with my GoPro video for "watching the tape". It's about the size of a Snickers bar. You get both comms radio and cockpit conversation/avionics audio this way. I opted for this method as I have my phone w/ Garmin Pilot via a RAM mount in the window - and I just didn't want to have the phone burdened with recording as well.

Additionally, as I have ambient audio from the GoPro - I can layer in this ambient audio once synced for engine and other ambient noise.

The video "5 Ways to Record Cockpit and ATC Audio | The Right Way | 2019" on YouTube is where I found this information. This video shows the various methods.

This seems to be the method that many of the YouTubers use to produce their videos w/ audio. I'm getting some very high quality results.

(Sorry, I don't think I can post links just yet as a new site user).

That's the method I use.

I purchased an adapter for my GoPro Hero 5 Black that I bought from Pilot USA that records the cockpit audio on the GoPro. I thought it would be easier to sync the audio that way after. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but will soon. My first recording I downloaded the LiveATC archive and synced it to the video. That was a PITA!!!

i have a garmin virb aviation bundle for sale...also check the audio panel to see if you can bluetooth to it

Back