How to re-establish lost a/c log book?

skipnsb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skipnsb
I can't find this answer by searching.

I have a paper copy of my log book. In the event the actual paper logs are lost, how do I establish my copy to the satisfaction of an AP or IA? Assuming no one else has them in their database, what would you professionals insist upon? My initial thought is an affidavit "I am the owner of the plane and the attached is a true and accurate copy of the actual log book that I copied on "date"?

Is there a different procedure if I simply scan the logs into memory?

Is there an "official" method published by the FAA?

Thank you. Skip

Is there an "official" method published by the FAA?

Thank you. Skip

Short answer.. NO.

Ask your A&P-IA that did the last annual, they have been requested to keep a record of TT on the A/C that they care for.
They will be the ones to help best.

For starters, you can request DVD of all 337s from the FAA. Minimal cost, $5 last time I looked.

Depending on the manufacturer, you can contact then for a copy of the initial W&B and other docs issued at the time of the initial sale to the first owner. I know Piper has all the old aircraft on microfiche and will send you a copy - nominal fee, not sure what. I ordered copy of mine because the copy that came to me at the sale in 2000 was so torn up as to be almost useless.

Fortunately I have all the logs from day 1, including the original test flight by the Piper chief pilot. Everytime there's work done, I scan the log. When I finish my taxes each year, I burn a set of DVDs including all the airplane logs. Shop keeps a copy for backup and reference.

For starters, you can request DVD of all 337s from the FAA. Minimal cost, $5 last time I looked.

Depending on the manufacturer, you can contact then for a copy of the initial W&B and other docs issued at the time of the initial sale to the first owner. I know Piper has all the old aircraft on microfiche and will send you a copy - nominal fee, not sure what. I ordered copy of mine because the copy that came to me at the sale in 2000 was so torn up as to be almost useless.

Fortunately I have all the logs from day 1, including the original test flight by the Piper chief pilot. Everytime there's work done, I scan the log. When I finish my taxes each year, I burn a set of DVDs including all the airplane logs. Shop keeps a copy for backup and reference.

Thanks for the replies. In the AC it appears that an owner affidavit of time in service is specifically allowed, if it can't be determined otherwise. AD compliance and other "life" limited items are not addressed other than its a problem and might require re-doing to confirm. What I am trying to answer is can an IA or AP rely on a certified copy of the logs, as if the originals were before her and if the loss is explainted?

What I am trying to answer is can an IA or AP rely on a certified copy of the logs, as if the originals were before her and if the loss is explainted?
Yes. Whether they want to is more a personal decision than a regulatory decision. Some IA/APs don't like to use labels for write-ups, but there's nothing legally against it. As owner it's your decision how your aircraft records are maintained and in what format. You may want to review 91.417 to see what records you are legally required to maintain and for how long. But it's always prudent to save all records. But to your question, the statement above should work and if you want bump it up a notch have your copy notarized.

As a practical matter, mostly to satisfy maintenance personnel, is there any better alternative to a copy or scan? I guess the jurat made at the same time as the copy is made might be a little stronger, have any of you taken it a step up? Especially, if you go to sell...tia

mostly to satisfy maintenance personnel
As mentioned several posts back, talk to your maintenance provider to get that input. Most owners I knew who copied records travelled extensively and had prior issues of lost records. As for a better alternative, if your mechanic is for it, at your next annual start migrating the records to adlog. Get all the pertinent info in per 91.417 then start using only that binder. Adlog pages are real easy to scan.

Then buy a good firebox, put your original records in it and store appropriately. You can still bring out the originals for weddings and funerals or a new wrench. Maybe hit up adlog about offering a backup service, claim it as your idea and ask for the first 5 years free???

Check with your IA to see what he'd be willing to accept, but I'd write the aircraft serial number on every page of the logbook and start scanning.

As for a better alternative, if your mechanic is for it, at your next annual start migrating the records to adlog. Get all the pertinent info in per 91.417 then start using only that binder. Adlog pages are real easy to scan.

AMEN TO THAT.... That is most probably the best record keeping system anywhere.

You can start it anytime, and your mech doesn't have to approve. They are expendable, good records are not. :)

Back