How to re-apply for a medical denial based on lack of info?

2yearstudent

I applied for a 3rd class mid-2020 spring and I got letters asking for additional documents. As you remember, anything medical-related in 2020 was hard, so even with an extension, I was having trouble getting records.

Then in March 2021, I got my denial, but the language was quite sympathetic to my surprise! It wasn't a "denial", but rather a "we can not determine your eligibility." It encouraged me to just send more info when I get the chance. Now, I got busy with life so I got the records a few months after that, but didn't send them.

Now, obviously, it's August 2023, and in 2 years the flight surgeon of my region has changed, my AME has retired, and I moved to a new state (same region) and I'm not sure what to do. Just send the documents, but to the new office / surgeon? Should I do the whole medical / AME-process over again? Some third option?

Also, since it was a "we can not determine your eligibility", not a "you are not eligible", can I go for a sport pilot? I know, the answer's probably no, but I thought I'd ask! Either way, I'm very hopeful for an approval, I just need to know how to re-start the year long paper work trail

No, sport pilot is off the table. The rule doesn't say "denial" it says "Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class medical certificate at the time of your most recent application." Since you weren't issued, you don't qualify.

I would suggest you find a new, good AME and start over. You are going to likely need a new examination anyhow (unless you're under 40, and even then you still probably want one). He can send in all the stuff the FAA previously asked for along with his most recent observations.

Process-wise, it's pretty simple. You "reapply" exactly the same way you apply if you never applied before. Fill out an application, give truthful answers. The "whole AME process" is the only way to go through it. But two things are different:

The FAA told you there's an issue that needs to be addressed​
Based on the letter you received (I didn't read it), you may have some idea what the FAA wants.​

Frankly, I think both are advantages if you use the benefit of having that information to gather what you need, review the situation with an AME and get all your ducks in a row before the formal application goes "live."

yes, you need that too...but IMO AFTER you have what the specified in the "for further consideration...what we need....." letter.

Our opinion is to start with a fresh exam, but be prepared to supply anything that was requested in the past with current evaluations and also prepare for anything that is new and may be of concern to the FAA. That is how you get through the process as fast as possible - you prepare like you would for a check ride.

Also, remember, the FAA can be pretty petty with their defination of "current". Worth checking with your AME to make sure what you have is recent enough for the bureaucrats.

New apply, but make sure you have fresh letters about the conditions they’re concerned with - I think 90 days is the standard, but you want them as fresh as you can get them. A consult with the ame a week or two before your physical to check wouldn’t hurt. They may be able consult early and to get permission to issue in the office rather than defer if your paperwork says the right thing.

Then in March 2021, I got my denial, but the language was quite sympathetic to my surprise! It wasn't a "denial", but rather a "we can not determine your eligibility." It encouraged me to just send more info when I get the chance. Now, I got busy with life so I got the records a few months after that, but didn't send them.
Did the letter address what happens if you fail to provide the requested information?

I don't recall the language, but I do remember it was threatening enough for me to send it via registered mail on occasions when I got them.

Back