How to lose a customer, car dealership edition...

I broke down and got caller ID for my land line a year or so ago. Why didn't I do that sooner? I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. They can leave a message.
I love the call blocking/divert feature on my VoIP line.

Just tell thanks for the call but you already bought a car, a Chevrolet. :D

When I started working from home it really amazed me how many junk calls I was getting despite the DO NOT CALL list. I'm not even talking about things like followup spam calls from various people (Car Dealers, Credit Card Companies, and my VOIP and GoDaddy are the worst). I added nomorobo when that was available (I moved and CenturyLInk is the cruddiest phone company in the world having never gotten over their CS disaster they inherited from being part of Sprint).

Then things started showing up on my cell phone. These are alway caller ID spoofed usually to the same exchange as my phone which is usually a dead giveaway. As pointed out, I don't tend to answer calls unless it is a number I specifically recognize. Voice Mail works fine (and most of the telespammers don't connect long enough to even generate an empty phone message).

Just tell thanks for the call but you already bought a car, a Chevrolet. :D

Funny, we bought our lightly used 2011 Ford Flex at a Chevy dealer.

As an aside, they said there would be a "4.95" processing fee added to the agreed-upon price, and I did not balk until I saw on the paperwork it was $495! I was prepared to walk. They said in GA they could not legally NOT charge it, which someone kinda confirmed at the time, I think. I was ready to leave and the salesman said they would back the $495 out of the agreed-upon price and then add it back in for a net push. That worked, but left a sour taste for how they try to rape consumers.

Last edited:
"calling on behalf of XYZ Ford"

Any chance this is an even lower form of pond scum - a telemarketing company hired by the dealership to ask these inane questions?

(sorry John :D)
Some do, some don't. It's really a follow up/sales call, if you have any questions they will have someone call you back. Really trying to find out why you didn't buy and figure out a way to put a deal together. I don't like outside companies calling my customers, it's obvious they don't know the details of what has transpired.

I admit that I'm an internet junkie, so other than when I'm sleeping or flying, my phone probably gets at least glanced at every half hour at a minimum.

Now I'm not proud of that, but there is one advantage, and that's that I can tell my phone to not even bother ringing unless the call (or text) comes from someone already in my contact list. So if an important call happens to comes from an unknown number, most likely they'll only need to wait a small amount of time before I notice and call them back.

As an aside, they said there would be a "4.95" processing fee to the agreed-upon price, and I did not balk until I saw on the paperwork it was $495! I was prepared to walk. They said in GA they could not legally NOT charge it, which someone kinda confirmed at the time, I think. I was ready to leave and the salesman said they would back the $495 out of the agreed-upon price and then add it back in for a net push. That worked, but left a sour taste for how they try to rape consumers.

That is called ADP.... additional dealer profit. In the past, ADP would on the vehicle options list as "ADP........$XXXX.xx on higher demand vehicles.

As an aside, they said there would be a "4.95" processing fee to the agreed-upon price, and I did not balk until I saw on the paperwork it was $495! I was prepared to walk. They said in GA they could not legally NOT charge it, which someone kinda confirmed at the time, I think. I was ready to leave and the salesman said they would back the $495 out of the agreed-upon price and then add it back in for a net push. That worked, but left a sour taste for how they try to rape consumers.

BTW, that's complete and total ******** that they are "legally required" to charge a processing fee. Dealers use that line all the time to lie to customers (I've had dealers in KS, MO, NJ, NY and CT tell me that lie, all backed off when confronted with it). If you push back on that ("what statute or regulation requires that?"), most will drop it. I've had more than one dealer ultimately apologize for telling me it's required by state law when it wasn't, usually after I tell them point blank they're lying to me.

I learned about the BS fees after leasing my first car back in 1984. Didn't get burned for more than $100 at closing but after that when I'm at a dealer the salesman gets a written offer - they love written offers because they somehow think you're bound by it - but the moment they say no to any element of it, then its no longer effective - and I've had that discussion as well.

That said, my 'written' offer says:

"Offer for 20xx make model, vin ending in 12345 is $xx,xxx including all dealership fees, lender fees, disposal fees, application and other fees, except for government mandated registration, title and sales tax, including acceptable financing for xx% of the final sales price." Its a tried and true strategy.

I had a salesman come back and accept the price and deal - and it fell apart in the finance room because they tried to charge a $125 inventory fee and a $395 processing fee. I got up and walked out. Found another one at different dealer - same process - closed it out fine after reminding them the fees were included. They charged the fees but backed them out to arrive at the same price.

I made that offer to GM for my wife's Volt in 2012. Ally Bank tried to charge a $325 'disposition fee' and I told them that my deal with the dealer included all of those fees in the price and that the dealer was an agent for Ally. . . . . I got the original involved and they told me they'd cover it if I bought another one - and I said = a deal is a deal - I have a signed acceptance by your salesman. They contacted Ally and worked it out - I didn't care what happened -

My favorite dealer story was the finance guy who claimed he could beat my financing I had shown up with. I told him I was fine with my financing but I knew he probably got kickbacks on using certain lenders so do whatever you like. It was a Saturday and he wasn't sure so I made him put the interest rate in writing that he claimed he could get and finished the rest of the deal.

Didn't hear from him until Friday of the following week. Guess what? My credit union kicked everyone else's butt and he could match it but he couldn't beat it.

He then had to go to the dealership owner and they had to use their company's fleet lender and pay them whatever it took to get the interest rate he had put in writing.

Only time I've ever had a car loan from a commercial fleet bank. LOL.

Funnier, I paid it off three months later because that was always the plan.

Never tell someone with (at the time) an 850 credit score (it's slightly lower now because I closed some old zero balance accounts) who is willing to pay cash but is floating it through their own credit union that you'll beat their interest rate. Idiot.

Did have one place actually make that same offer but their guy wasn't guessing. Another CU wanted new customers. The CU was doing almost a loss-leader on their rate just to have new members on their roster. Same thing, paid it off early and closed the account with that CU... thanks, but I already have a great CU. Two in fact. Didn't need a third. ;)

They charged the fees but backed them out to arrive at the same price.

That's the interesting part, and exactly what happened with our Flex. If it's not legally required, it must be required "in house" as non-negotiable, maybe so that buyers can't compare notes after the fact and complain that some got charged a certain fee and some did not.

I have "walked" twice, when after asking the total price I brought in a certified check for that exact amount. One, in a case of life imitating art, was a Mazda 626 where, upon arriving with the bank check, they informed me they didn't know the car had been delivered with undercoating and tried to add that on. Still gets my blood pressure up even recounting that!

BTW, that's complete and total ******** that they are "legally required" to charge a processing fee. Dealers use that line all the time to lie to customers (I've had dealers in KS, MO, NJ, NY and CT tell me that lie, all backed off when confronted with it). If you push back on that ("what statute or regulation requires that?"), most will drop it. I've had more than one dealer ultimately apologize for telling me it's required by state law when it wasn't, usually after I tell them point blank they're lying to me.

I had a hotel (Hampton Inn) walk me one night when they tried the "legally required to have an ID with your address on it" and I had offered a passport. We went around a bit, and he trotted out the "city code" line, at which point I asked for the statute number and section as I got out my whine to check. He got angry and told me to go elsewhere. At 11 PM. No apology, though he did not charge my credit card for the guarantee (good thing as I was meeting with a city council person the next day).

Hilton/Hampton referred my complaint to the franchisee who didn't even bother to respond.

Nice truck! Take good care of it, and it will last a long time. My '01 Supercrew still looks and drives very nice.

The only thing they are required to do is to charge sales tax on the processing fee.
That is correct, a dealer can charge as much as they want for doc fees, processing fees, whatever you want to call it and it's perfectly legal in GA. BUT, it must be included in any advertisement in the price, that is where the issue comes in with the state. If I advertise a truck at $20,000 all I can add to that price when you come in is 7% tax and tag and title fees. What the state really keyed on when they got onto this a couple years ago was rebates, say a truck had an extra $1000 if you financed with Ford credit, I can't advertise that in with the price. Say I have the above mentioned truck advertised at $20,000 including the $1000 from Ford, the state considers that a violation because a person can't come in and write a check for the $20,000 plus tax and fees, same with trade in assistance rebates, if not EVERY customer qualifies, you can't advertise it.
Of course most dealers advertise all rebates and a couple advertise using some real off the wall rebates, like American Quarter Horse association, $500!
It makes it tough to advertise price, if you keep it honest and above board, you get 0 calls because you are priced $1000-2000 higher than everyone else. It's a real catch 22 for us.

How car dealers lose customers is a book the size of the manhattan yellow pages . . . .

The stories are rife - my last one was:

I brought a highly desirable used vehicle [a 2005 ML350 - they convert them into lowriders in the hood in LA - but do I want to deal with that buyer? No] into a local Benz dealer who has used well optioned Mini Countryman my wife wanted. Their opening price was very good - I told them to meet my price for my car, which was KBB blue book used trade in with all the options and mileage. Given that they could easily make $2k on it in less than 48 hours prob - they offered that price.

I told them I'd be back in an hour with the title, and a check. I told the salesman that upon my return they had 30 min to deliver me the car. No BS - no delays - and if we got to 31 I was walking out. I didn't NEED that car that day.

I come back in 55 min -with the title to the ML350 and the check. The Countryman is not detailed yet - still sitting right where I left it.

I walked in - salesman came over and glad handed me as he best friend and said - we will get this done -come see the finance manager. I said - I ok, knowing there was no way.

I sat down - and after the prelims told the guy - print out the paperwork, here is the check, and the title - and if you try to sell me one thing extra Im out of here. He prints everything out - and then can't resist trying to sell me the upgraded warranty. Mind you - the prior owner already BOUGHT a 2 year extended warranty and a 4 year service agreement -but they did not do their homework.

I stood up - picked up the title and the check. Said:"I said - I don't want to be sold anything." Walked out his door. And the Mini was STILL sitting there. Unwashed even.

Salesman came running over - and I said: "30 min, right? Whats up with [the car sitting there.]"

Oh, we don't detail used cars until they are sold - then I said - everything you said was total bullshlt then? Got in my car and drove off.

In an hour the sales manager called and left a message.

The next day the sales manager and the salesman called.

The second day the dealership manager called -

The third day finally the owner called - and wanted to know what went wrong. It was the 30th day of a 31 day month at that point.

So I called him back - and started at the beginning. He said: "we will deliver the car. We will give you free car washes as long as you own it. We will give you oil changes, floors matts, whatever it takes."

I said: "Sure, you can deliver it. And you're gonna bring me a 1.99% finance deal for the balance of the trade, and since I've wasted 2 hours of my life with your BS business practices - you're gonna take another $750 off the car and not give me one bit of lip about about - thats non-negotiable. Yes or No."

We have the car.

Do not do not do not ever take your Countryman to Valencia for service. They'll quote you $80 over the phone and give you a bill for $250...the 80 is only for oil and filter.

Bottom line is--I only paid 80.... and I get weekly emails from them reminding me to come back for service or sales.

Bob Smith in Calabasas for the win... we bought mrs' 2013 Countryman there... was an executive car with 5k miles on it... 22k car on the original window sticker with 11k of added options.

I think I paid 23 out the door for a car that was less than a year old.

That go-kart is an insane driving machine....she won't let me drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found that walking in with the check already written at the price I am willing to pay works pretty good. No trade in, insurance card in hand.
We found a Mini we wanted. Not discounted much, too popular in this area. Anyway, we through the hoops. Sat down with business person and started going through service plans, warranty, etc. Where they really make the money. Got down to financing info and I said how much is the car. Had to say it several times. Finally go a number and handed her a check. Look on her face was great.

I tell the Chevy dealer next door, as long as he's closed on Sunday, I'll stay closed. :D We are actually good friends and usually end up calling each other to see how the other one is handling holidays or snow days, it's good to be friends with the competition!!
Can't buy cars in Colorado on Sunday. I don't like these kind of laws but it is nice to browse the lot without harassment. And dealership folks get a day off.

Can't buy cars in Colorado on Sunday. I don't like these kind of laws but it is nice to browse the lot without harassment. And dealership folks get a day off.

I find those sort of Sunday "can't do this or that" laws to be disgustingly stupid. They make absolutely no sense.

I find those sort of Sunday "can't do this or that" laws to be disgustingly stupid. They make absolutely no sense.

God doesn't want you to buy a car from a dealer on church day. LOL.

I think we can buy alcohol around here on Sundays now, but I honestly buy so infrequently I don't know. Progress.

Notably, the bars were always open on Sundays. And busy. And private car sales still happen every Sunday.

Maybe we'll be able to buy cars from dealerships on Sunday someday in 2030 or so at this rate. But who cares? All the best deals are privately sold anyway unless you're looking for something rare like Karen's Lincoln pickup truck was back when she decided she liked those.

At least that dealership was kind enough to arrange for the storage facility across the street to literally blow up while they fiddled with paperwork. Was something worth going outside and watching while I waited. Big bang, lots of fire, then lots of smoke and lots of fire trucks. Wheee.

If I could arrange for stuff like that to happen while waiting around for dealers to get their **** together, every time, I might go to them more often! LOL.

Technically it's still illegal to loan your vacuum cleaner to a neighbor inside the City and County of Denver. I suspect there was once a strong vacuum cleaner sales lobby, complete with good bribes, for that one, back in the day.

I liked that TV show a few years ago, "God, Guns, and Cars" or something like that, about a dealer in Missouri I think. He was nuts and funny, and a hot wife too. His brother is a DJ on a Chicago station. Think it only was on for one year. I enjoyed it.

I liked that TV show a few years ago, "God, Guns, and Cars" or something like that, about a dealer in Missouri I think. He was nuts and funny, and a hot wife too. His brother is a DJ on a Chicago station. Think it only was on for one year. I enjoyed it.

One of the truly great movies is "Used Cars" (with Royal Fuchs). Every terrible cliche in this thread and more.

Cheers

It's not the law here, but it is in Texas, you can open Saturday or Sunday, but not both from what I remember. My folks have a day with their families or to hunt or fish or whatever. My dad has told me since I was a very young man, "If you can't make it in 6 days, 7 won't help you." I know we lose a couple deals here and there, 2-4 per month and I'm OK with that, I'd rather my people have a family life.:)

It's not the law here, but it is in Texas, you can open Saturday or Sunday, but not both from what I remember. My folks have a day with their families or to hunt or fish or whatever. My dad has told me since I was a very young man, "If you can't make it in 6 days, 7 won't help you." I know we lose a couple deals here and there, 2-4 per month and I'm OK with that, I'd rather my people have a family life.:)

I bet in the long run having motivated staff who have a family life gives you much more value and profit than those 2-4 deals per month would.

With Craig's list and E-bay, why use a car dealer?

So to keep with Tom's complaint, why use car dealers, because you can find car dealers in Craigslist? :)
Tom wasn't complaining, simply making an observation/ question.

You can also design and buy your new vehicle on line, and it will be delivered to your address.

You can also design and buy your new vehicle on line, and it will be delivered to your address.
But that's still through a dealership or a broke that buys from a dealership. I'd love to make it a more simple process, this group is different from the average consumer, better credit, more income etc. About 5% of the new vehicles we sell are cash, real cash, no lien. Most have trade ins, half owe as much or more than they are worth, about 50% have some issue with credit, 25% can't buy period. The simple cash and go deals happen, but where I am they are the exception. Today I had a customer wanting to pay true cash for an Expedition, the rebate was $4750, if he financed at 0%, he got $6000!! Makes no sense, but he's going to finance $8000 and pay it off to save $1250!

Today I had a customer wanting to pay true cash for an Expedition, the rebate was $4750, if he financed at 0%, he got $6000!! Makes no sense, but he's going to finance $8000 and pay it off to save $1250!

The only downside to this is a hard inquiry on the credit report and an additional account with a short history. Otoh, if he has the cash for an expedition lying around he is probably not that concerned about a 10 point hit on his credit score.

Back