How to know who to contact for departure clearance?

My home drone is a class D. They mention the approach frequency on ATIS because they can’t do flight following and don’t want to have to waste time telling people the frequency to pick it up. The do IFR clearance delivery on ground

I had to use the 888 number a few weeks ago leaving Tullahoma (KTHA). Looking at the A/FD in FF it only lists 128.15 for Memphis center but no number. I’ve had luck in the past at a couple of places on the field. No luck this time and I was lucky to have the number in my phone.

Yea, this is a weak spot in Chart Supplement, and has been for decades. A lot of times it falls under, as some have pointed out, "local knowledge". If I'm flying into someplace unfamiliar, I always ask ATC what the best contact point is on the way out.

I guess the hierarchy of clearance delivery sources at uncontrolled fields is:

Dedicated RCO or frequency usable on the ground
Phone direct to responsible ATC facility (increasingly common option, number will be listed in the CS)
Simplex frequency and receive over a VOR through flight service (a rapidly diminishing option)
Phone call to the national clearance delivery number.

The problem is that the Chart Supplement doesn't really make it clear the exact nature of the frequencies / contact points.

Even on the best of days, the phone call to Leidos FS is not the optimum. The several times I've used it, it required a significant back and forth to the person on the phone to make it clear where I was and what I wanted, and the ultimate result is some kind of weird 3 way call with the ATC facility. It's NOTHING like getting a clearance through Flight Service in the pre-L/M days. Some of the time they just gave me a phone number to call direct. I try to avoid the national CD number and only use it as a last option.

They've cleared some of the hurdles with ATC to publish the numbers for clearances, and hopefully that paves the way to some kind of CPDLC for GA that would make this issue go away.

Like this?

2774254e3d3f2876232893c356b72eca.jpg

Another handy tool in GP is to touch the "i" on the right side of airport screen. That brings up more info about the airport of interest. Frequencies, runway info, procedures, weather, fuel prices, etc and at the top of the info page you see A/FD, SafeTaxi, nearby airports, etc.

I had a funny case of this departing from a rural airport in upstate NY...couldn't get anyone on the radio, weather bad enough that I didn't want to take off without my clearance, and no cell reception in the area either. The FBO office had a land line, but it was early Sunday morning and they were closed. Pure coincidence there was a police officer in the parking lot, and he was kind enough to patch me into a phone line using his police radio, otherwise I'd probably still be there...

Back