How to get my license back?

Evel_Knievel

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Evel Knievel
Looking to get a hard copy of my Private Certificate so that I can get back into flying. I never got any documents to show I had a private pilot certificate. All I have is the designated examiners sign off in my log book that simply states "Private Pilot flight test satisfactory" with his signature and a few numbers in date format (ie CL-11-41).

I know they started issuing a hard copy of the certificates and would like to know where to start to get one?

I looked on the FAA website but all I could find was the request a duplicate page. That page requested a certificate number which I don't have that I'm aware of.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Go to the FAA site and do an airmen inquiry on yourself to get your number. then File for a duplicate.

Call your local FSDO and maybe they can help or refer you to someone who can. What's the date you got your PPL?

First post!

I'm a "nu-bee" here too. But the amount of time people will invest to exchange information and help each other here is beyond anything that can adequately be described.
Welcome.

The FAA database (in a fit of sanity in their otherwise illegal dissemination of personal information) does not list certificate numbers in the database.

If you were licensed a long time ago, your certificate number was likely your SSN.
Otherwise you should contact Airman Certification on the phone or via email and inquire. Unlike the bozos in aircraft registration, airman certification is quite helpful.

This is an odd post.

Well, it is both number one in the thread and his contribution to the board.

But I agree it's out of the ordinary. One of the first things my IFR examiner did at the start of the exam was explain what happens at the end of a successful exam; immediate issuance of the temporary certificate and then the plastic one arriving within 120 days. And what my options were if I don't see something around week 9 & 10.

Last edited:
Hey Evel Knievel,
Take a temporary one which you will easily get from DE.

Thanks everyone! I bet this post does seem odd since I got signed off May 26 2002. That was before the plastic cards, etc they issue today.
Your link helped alfadog. I did a search and it did locate me! It listed my name, address, medical at the time, and my single engine land rating.
But the catch is it doesn't give me a certificate number that I need to request a duplicate. I tried using my SSN to register to request a copy and it will not let me register with my SSN.
Guess I will have to call them Monday.
At least it's nice to know that I am in the system with my rating. I was afraid there was a screw up and I never made it in the FAA system.

Gotta admit it is cool looking through that not so old log book. Barely hit 100 hrs total. Was signed off to solo after 11.9 hrs, and the DE signed me off at 51.2 hrs.
Would love to get into a Vans RV7

Gotta admit it is cool looking through that not so old log book. Barely hit 100 hrs total. Was signed off to solo after 11.9 hrs, and the DE signed me off at 51.2 hrs.
Would love to get into a Vans RV7

So... After your PPL did your DE give you a temp and you never received a permanent, or did you just fly without a certificate?

So... After your PPL did your DE give you a temp and you never received a permanent, or did you just fly without a certificate?
Well hell,,,, just went rummaging through the back of my log book and found my certificate # in a sign off. I was able to register and apply for a duplicate with that #. Should have it in 2 weeks!!

Thanks a million folks!!
Now if I can hit the lottery to buy that Vans RV7! :goofy:
Life is crazy, I almost went to Embry Riddle in the late 80's to get a commercial. Glad I never did that since I was eventually hit with central serous retinopathy which would have wiped out my 1st class medical! At least I can buzz around on a 3rd class.

First post!

I'm a "nu-bee" here too. But the amount of time people will invest to exchange information and help each other here is beyond anything that can adequately be described.
Welcome.

You haven't been around enough then. There's a number of less than friendly types here as well.

Well hell,,,, just went rummaging through the back of my log book and found my certificate # in a sign off. I was able to register and apply for a duplicate with that #. Should have it in 2 weeks!!

Thanks a million folks!!
Now if I can hit the lottery to buy that Vans RV7! :goofy:
Life is crazy, I almost went to Embry Riddle in the late 80's to get a commercial. Glad I never did that since I was eventually hit with central serous retinopathy which would have wiped out my 1st class medical! At least I can buzz around on a 3rd class.

That's great... But never answered my question. Although at this point it doesn't matter. You'll need some instruction and a flight review to fly.

The more I ponder it I'm certain the DE gave me a temporary document but I never got anything from the FAA that I can recall. Still at the same address.

The more I ponder it I'm certain the DE gave me a temporary document but I never got anything from the FAA that I can recall. Still at the same address.

And you never followed up? The temp is only good for a finite time. Did you fly without a valid certificate? Trust me... I personally don't care. I'm just curious.

And you never followed up? The temp is only good for a finite time. Did you fly without a valid certificate? Trust me... I personally don't care. I'm just curious.

It sounds like he lost his certificate and hasn't flown in quite a while, 100 hours and got his PPL in 2002.:D

It was 2002 and I've been through a lot since then. I do vaguely recall getting a temp but don't recall being instructed to follow up.

Never got a "certificate" or anything in the mail to lose. Only thing I lost was the factory job that financially stopped the joyriding.

Whether I flew without a "valid" certificate is unknown, however I do know the friendly neighborhood FBO kept tabs on your ratings and medicals while renting their planes.

There is a 2 year gap from 2002-2004 of no flying then a check ride logged by a CFI which they don't do without a valid certificate and medical.

No biggy! Get ya a medical, and when you get your certificate get with a CFI for any training you need to get up to speed, and a Flight Review and you should be good to go! Welcome back to birdland! :thumbsup:

No biggy! Get ya a medical, and when you get your certificate get with a CFI for any training you need to get up to speed, and a Flight Review and you should be good to go! Welcome back to birdland! :thumbsup:

Precisely.

1. Get medical
2. Get replacement certificate from FAA (already requested)
3. Get with CFI and get back up to speed. Once the CFI signs you off with a flight review you are good to go. The certificate (permanent version) does not have an expiration date, it's all the other stuff you have to do in order to exercise the privileges.
4. Go forth and convert 100LL to noise (oh, and have fun!)

The FAA database (in a fit of sanity in their otherwise illegal dissemination of personal information) does not list certificate numbers in the database.

If you were licensed a long time ago, your certificate number was likely your SSN.

I was licensed a long time ago --- but it was before BROTHER invented SSNs (and my card still said, "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES")
My license was never changed TO SSN (when they started using them) nor was it changed when they dumped SSNs

Whether I flew without a "valid" certificate is unknown, however I do know the friendly neighborhood FBO kept tabs on your ratings and medicals while renting their planes.

Good point --- if they are the same FBO, did you consider asking them if they have a copy of your cert on file?

Op why did you stop flying
Lost my GM factory job and went back to collision work. Pay was less and there were less hours in the day with the new job. Recently had to get the fiancé through nursing school so things are turning around.
Oldshar- silly me found my cert # in the back of the log book so all is good.

Lost my GM factory job and went back to collision work. Pay was less and there were less hours in the day with the new job. Recently had to get the fiancé through nursing school so things are turning around.
Oldshar- silly me found my cert # in the back of the log book so all is good.

Fantastic, welcome back!

Although its a bit late now for this tidbit, a temp certificate can be emailed to you so that you can fly as soon as you get your medical out of the way, without having to wait for the FAA's duplicate to come in the mail.

Speaking of medical, you mentioned that you were diagnosed with central serous retinopathy. I have no idea what that is, but if there's ANY chance that this could prevent you from getting a Class III medical, you may want to forgo the medical and just fly under Sport Pilot rules. That's something new that's come up since you last flew.

Back