How To Get a Job at an FBO

TheRealMarkMessier

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Messier
I apologize if I was suppose to make an introduction before starting a thread, I couldn't find any place too. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum for this thread. I wasn't sure were it goes.

How does one get a job at an FBO? There are plenty of threads of the internet (a couple on this forum) about what it's like working at an FBO but none about how to get a job there.

Back in 2012 I attempted to get a job at an FBO but was rejected by everyone for not having any aviation experience. There are 4 small airports in my area plus 1 regional airport. What I did in 2012 was I dressed nicely (wore a business shirt, dress pants, a tie and dress shoes). I had a printed out resume and I used AirNav to find the names of the mangers of the FBOs. When I approached, a couple of the airports said they weren't hiring and two of them said need someone with a couple of years experience working around aircraft.

At the time I had little job experience. Since then I have worked in a night club, in lawncare and worked in a tire and oil change shop.

I am currently a college student, hoping to purse the military aviation route and would like a chance to build some flight hours and work around aircraft while I finish college.

Any advice for getting hired would be appreciated.

I KNOW the Messiah can't have issues finding a job.............

Most of the FBOs I've seen are desperate for line workers. I'd just go in and ask for an application.

Dress for the job you want. Working the line is not a slacks-n-tie position. Okay it's not tee shirt n jeans either but I always chuckle a little when someone wears a tie to apply for a labor type job.

Reason #391 I want to defund many useless public schools, this should be covered in highschool....

How to get a job at a...mFBO:

1 Make a nice resume, customize it to the job
2 find some business casual clothes for the season
3 smile
4 walk into said FBO
5 talk to the person at the front desk regarding if they are hiring, ask to talk to the manager
6 interview
7 get hired
8 show up for work

You can replace the "FBO" with about any other place you might want to work.

Dress for the job you want. Working the line is not a slacks-n-tie position. Okay it's not tee shirt n jeans either but I always chuckle a little when someone wears a tie to apply for a labor type job.

Wear a carhart onesie with lav juice and JetA already on it, the manager will be like "nailed it!" when you interview ;)

I KNOW the Messiah can't have issues finding a job.............
Well you know, after playing in the NHL for 24 seasons I felt like a career change.

Hey Marty McSorley flew for the US Marshals so why not right?

Reason #391 I want to defund many useless public schools, this should be covered in highschool....

How to get a job at a...mFBO:

1 Make a nice resume, customize it to the job
2 find some business casual clothes for the season
3 smile
4 walk into said FBO
5 talk to the person at the front desk regarding if they are hiring, ask to talk to the manager
6 interview
7 get hired
8 show up for work

You can replace the "FBO" with about any other place you might want to work.

This is what I have done in the past, except I can't get passed step 5. I've gotten my lawncare and oil changing job this way but I'm guessing it's simply a matter of economics. Maybe the aviation industry doesn't have much demand right now.

Also I don't blame you about public schools. I don't understand why we aren't taught basic budgeting and tax paying 101 in school. The first time I had to do my taxes, I was completely lost. My parents and many other peoples parents aren't always the best with financial related matters.

Most of the FBOs I've seen are desperate for line workers. I'd just go in and ask for an application.
I will go in and try again.

I remember in 2012 the economy was still terrible. It's 2017 now and some recovery has happened so perhaps the aviation industry is hiring again. After class tomorrow morning I am going to try again.

I will go in and try again.

I remember in 2012 the economy was still terrible. It's 2017 now and some recovery has happened so perhaps the aviation industry is hiring again. After class tomorrow morning I am going to try again.

That may be part of the problem. Most FBO's my son has tried to catch on with while still in school are looking for full-time help, meaning they don't want to be under a restricted schedule given by said student. They didn't want part-time help either. Not saying that's the case, but it could be. :dunno:

Cheers,
Brian

That may be part of the problem. Most FBO's my son has tried to catch on with while still in school are looking for full-time help, meaning they don't want to be under a restricted schedule given by said student. They didn't want part-time help either. Not saying that's the case, but it could be. :dunno:

Cheers,
Brian
I had the same problem before I got my oil changing job. 99% of all automotive shops only want full time techs, other than changing oil working in the auto industry is tough to do part time. Cars need to be fixed and customers need their cars back ASAP. If you are only showing up 20 hours a week, how are you going to finish a car. At the oil change shop I was the only part time employee (the boss liked me, so he gave me a chance) everyone else was full time.

I am hoping that maybe an FBO will let me fuel planes, wash planes or answer phones part time.

Well you know, after playing in the NHL for 24 seasons I felt like a career change.

Hey Marty McSorley flew for the US Marshals so why not right?

And Matthew Barnaby, and Tie Domi were flight attendants, right? :)

Also I don't blame you about public schools. I don't understand why we aren't taught basic budgeting and tax paying 101 in school. The first time I had to do my taxes, I was completely lost. My parents and many other peoples parents aren't always the best with financial related matters.

Who says we aren't?

My son just finished a budget in his math class, public school, 6th grade.

The numbers weren't terribly realistic, but the techniques were. He had to find a job, estimate its salary, find a house/apartment/room in a place where he wanted, estimate rent/utilities/car/entertainment expenses, the whole bit.

He was asking questions like, what you need to pay for if you rent a room. Really good questions for an 11 year old.

I think his conclusion was a bit wrong, as he concluded he could live on not very much money -- which is true -- but he'd get sick of renting an illegal garage conversion after a very short while. Those are unfortunately common around here.

His first draft missed salary deductions -- a large error. But he got an earful from me about health insurance, social security, taxes, and retirement. And I think he got it all.

I asked for the job and got it. Probably helped that I've given them a few grand and have been there longer than anyone else lol. Can't wait to quit now.

I dressed nicely (wore a business shirt, dress pants, a tie and dress shoes).

As other have said dress for the job you want. As someone who has hired quite a few people what I always tell people is to do a bit or recon and to dress just one notch above what job you want...and that applies to any industry. For example, if the line guys are wearing jeans and tee shirts show up in a polo and khakis.

While I believe in the dress to impress mentality, if you show up in slacks, a button up and tie that immediately says you do not understand what the job actually entails...or you are trying too hard. Neither is a good first impression.

Last edited:
For the 4 FBO jobs I've had/applied for, I always dressed nicely (dress pants/shirt/etc) and came prepared with any possible knowledge of the operations on the field (anything in the news about expansion, changes, tenants if possible, etc).

I highly disagree (from my own experience) about people saying not to dress up for the line interview. Never have I felt the need to dress down for any job interview and never have I been ridiculed for dressing too nicely for a line job.

I got job offers from Shawnee Regional Airport (KSNL)/Cornerstone Air Center (KFTW)/Signature (KAPA)/American Aero (KFTW). I have an aviation degree now and a pilot's license though which of course makes it easier to get a job like this in aviation. I used my pilot's license as leverage for advanced understanding and knowledge about the job.

Last edited:
Dress for the job you want.
Generally, the advice is to dress one step up from what the job you are applying for demands. It shows respect.

Last edited:
Who says we aren't?

My son just finished a budget in his math class, public school, 6th grade.

The numbers weren't terribly realistic, but the techniques were. He had to find a job, estimate its salary, find a house/apartment/room in a place where he wanted, estimate rent/utilities/car/entertainment expenses, the whole bit.

He was asking questions like, what you need to pay for if you rent a room. Really good questions for an 11 year old.

I think his conclusion was a bit wrong, as he concluded he could live on not very much money -- which is true -- but he'd get sick of renting an illegal garage conversion after a very short while. Those are unfortunately common around here.

His first draft missed salary deductions -- a large error. But he got an earful from me about health insurance, social security, taxes, and retirement. And I think he got it all.

Your son goes to a great school! Hopefully this is a sign the school systems are changing for the younger generations. I wish I knew all that stuff at 11, hell I wish I knew it at 18!

I was never poor growing up but my parents did make a ton of money mistakes. It wasn't until I was 20-21 that they got serious about budgeting. In turn I have been learning myself.

I used to go to an airport that one line guy did wear slacks and a tie. Guess who manages that FBO now....

WTF does that mean?
And how does it help?
It relates to my user name. Mark Messier is known as the Messiah to Rangers fans. Partly a pun on his name and partly because he lead the Rangers to win the 1994 Stanley Cup. Their first cup since 1940!

Check this out

When I graduated high school I went looking for a job. No one wanted to hire me due to lack of experience. I changed my tactics a bit. I went out one day and applied for 5 jobs and made each employer the same offer, I would work for them for a week and if they liked my work hire me and pay me for my time. If they were not happy then tell me and they owed me nothing and I would thank them for the opportunity and be on my way. Within 24 hours I recieved offers from all 5 places. None wanted to take me up on my offer they wanted to hire me full time. They all said they liked my attitude and had never heard of anyone making such an offer. They felt it showed a good work ethic and a can do attitude. Heck what did I have to lose as I had time on my hands so why not risk a weeks work since I had no income anyhow.

I had a kid do just that one time to me and he wound up with the experience of a lifetime.

Had four guys working for me on a one off job in the middle of nowhere North Carolina...not much experience but I wanted to take one of them on full time for a few months to cover a nationwide contract...hired him but one of of his buddies that was on that initial crew wanted to come along and was willing to work for free on the next project just for the experience if I covered his travel cuz he had never even been on a commercial flight. Wait...never been on a plane? I said nope, no way...he is getting paid full rate, ship him! I then spent the next few months traveling them all both over the country with the rest of our team. They made more in a few months then they had in a few years.

Years later I still fly him out for projects across the country just cuz he has the right attitude.

Had he never asked and willing to make that offer he would have just been left behind.

Last edited:
Hired my share of people, too.
For me,,references are important or someone i know and respect to call and say: "i am sending you a good person to consider". If you have little work experience this will help. Just walking up cold with app in hand aint gonna get it done.

My experience: Most young workers start to ***** quickly, are late to work often or dont show at all, they break equipment and feel you owe them something other than a salary (attitude). Just try to consider your future employer's position for a better understanding of the selection process. Now days people want a check but they dont want to actually work.

When you do land a job, go to work on time and offer to help when you can. Keep a good attitude and you can have a good reference for your next job.

Last edited:
The local airport is for sale.
For a mere $3 million dollars you can have any job you want.

So far, I wouldn't say no luck but no guarantee is the better word.

I've talked to three of the FBOs. One did take my resume. He told me at the moment he wasn't hiring but he has a few of his workers graduating from college in may and likely a few jobs would open up. He did say no guarantee as others have also asked him about the job as well.

The other one was hiring but they needed someone there 40 hours week all year round and not just the summer. He flat out told me he didn't want me working 40 hours during the summer only to have me ask to go part time when the fall comes.

The last one wanted someone with more aviation experience as he had too many bad experiences of unskilled workers messing something up and costing the FBO money. He wasn't willing to train me.

So that is where I am at. I am hoping the first one calls me back, I will talk to the two other remaining airfields in the area I haven't talked to yet.

I will also look for another job outside of aviation.

Hired my share of people, too.
For me,,references are important or someone i know and respect to call and say: "i am sending you a good person to consider". If you have little work experience this will help. Just walking up cold with app in hand aint gonna get it done.

My experience: Most young workers start to ***** quickly, are late to work often or dont show at all, they break equipment and feel you owe them something other than a salary (attitude). Just try to consider your future employer's position for a better understanding of the selection process. Now days people want a check but they dont want to actually work.

When you do land a job, go to work on time and offer to help when you can. Keep a good attitude and you can have a good reference for your next job.
I have talks quite often with my local and area businesses as part of my "advisory board", the pipeline construction supervisor for a business in town came is last week and we had a nice chat. He was interviewing a guy for some contract work and the guy started to text during the interview! He would whip out his phone and text away, then put it in his pocket and resume the interview, then it would go off again and he would stop what he was doing and text away! What the hell is wrong with people?

Back