How to gear-up an A-380 in the maintenance hangar...

ElPaso Pilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ElPaso Pilot
So, how does this happen?

Does the A-check include a gear swing?

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/emirates-a380-badly-damaged-during-a-check-mishap-460456/
getasset.aspx

Had to be a gulf carrier.

At least it doesn’t have to go far to get repaired...

Well, this explains it. It was engineering that screwed it up, not maintenance. o_O

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/dubai/emirates-a380-damaged-at-dubai-airport-hangar

"We confirm there was an incident when our engineering team was performing a routine A-check on one of our A380s in the hangar," the Emirates spokesperson said.

The incident happened on Thursday at the Emirates maintenance hangar at Dubai International Airport. According to reports, the aircraft slipped off its hydraulic jacks damaging the nose of the plane and its radome (the weatherproof enclosure that protects the radar antenna).

I'm wondering how much clearance the vertical fin had under that ceiling.

Well, this explains it. It was engineering that screwed it up, not maintenance. o_O

"We confirm there was an incident when our engineering team...
I'm a Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. US equivalent is an A&P-IA. The "engineer" term is a British holdover that refers to personnel that either operate or maintain machinery. I suspect that the UAE is using it in the same sense. The UAE was a British protectorate until 1971. Australia, another British colony, also has aircraft maintenance engineers.

Maintenance Induced Failure, as Mike Busch likes to say?

<puts hands in pockets, pulls out lookout pin> "Oh, that's where that went...."

I'm a Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. US equivalent is an A&P-IA. The "engineer" term is a British holdover that refers to personnel that either operate or maintain machinery. I suspect that the UAE is using it in the same sense. The UAE was a British protectorate until 1971. Australia, another British colony, also has aircraft maintenance engineers.

They are LAME down under, eh!

50% of maintenance is caused by maintenance. Maybe a little extra this time.
Not in my experience. 50% of maintenance is caused by a lack of maintenance. Owners that keep deferring defects, or hire mechanics that will conduct a superficial annual and sign it off. Eventually the defective parts go beyond fixable and become replaceable instead. Expensive.

They are LAME down under, eh!
Yup.

I once had a flight student that was an Aussie AME. He told me (I haven't confirmed it) that the passing grade on their written AME exams was 100%. I can believe it. They were always more strict than the Brits themselves.

Back