How to fix yoke button?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I had a passenger who got a little thumbsy with the button and shoved it into the rubber yoke grip. How can I remove the grip and remove the button without tearing up the grip?

Attachments

• 73FC47F3-F7EF-41C0-BF47-77EAA000FBCC.jpeg
    73FC47F3-F7EF-41C0-BF47-77EAA000FBCC.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 102
Is it glued on? Try blowing compressed air into the hole and see if it comes off.

Looks like a Gregoire slip on grip. I was able to remove mine from my Tiger's yoke this summer when it was near 100F by simply wiggling it and pulling it off. I figure that I will warm it with a hair dryer or heat gun if I have to remove it again when the weather is cooler.

I think Tim's suggestion of compressed air makes sense, but I would combine it with warming the rubber first. The issue I see with that working is that, if yours is like mine, the PTT wire runs down the side of the yoke between the inside of the grip and the yoke handle. Much of the compressed air will leak out along the space made by the wire, so you will need enough air volume to overcome that and still pressurize under the grip.

On mine there was a fair amount of wire slack coiled in the space between the end of the grip and the top of the yoke handle. The PTT switch could actually be pulled out of the grip from the outside to access its solder joints. If yours is similar, you might be able to reach down through the hole with a tweezer and pull the switch upwards until enough protrudes out of the grip that you can grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it back into position.

WTF? How hard was he (she?) gripping the thing?

Don't let your passenger close or latch the door on your plane. That'll be a LOT more expensive to fix after it's busted than the PTT.

I am constantly amazed at the number of passengers that think they have to slam shut the cabin door on a light airplane like its a '70s Ford station wagon.

I am constantly amazed at the number of passengers that think they have to slam shut the cabin door on a light airplane like its a '70s Ford station wagon.
My CFI during primary training did that too. :(

Don't let your passenger close or latch the door on your plane. That'll be a LOT more expensive to fix after it's busted than the PTT.

EVERYONE slams the Cirrus door right after I say "Ya don't slam it, just pull it in and force the lever forward while holding the door close"

then... KAChunk!

"Ok thanks for chipping the paint, now do it the way I said it."

The compressed air down thru the whole worked for getting the grip off but all I found was bare wires. I could have sworn there was a button there but maybe not since I recently bought the plane. Anyway, I want to match the button and the other yoke but cant seem to find one for sale online. Does anyone know where to find this button?

Attachments

• BB02A0C3-86F2-4BAA-9577-5FF340B930C4.jpeg
    BB02A0C3-86F2-4BAA-9577-5FF340B930C4.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 32
Back