how to ferry w no ADSB..??

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. Looking at at buying a 172 about 2.5 hrs. from my home airport... It's in annual, but doesn't have an ADS-B transponder. Is there a way to get it home under some sort of ferry permit? Would be pretty easy to just fly around any big traffic areas enroute.
I don't want to put in the skybeacon, because I want to change all the radios in the panel, and install a garmin 330es at the same time.
How do I get this airplane home?
thanks
dan

Hello. Looking at at buying a 172 about 2.5 hrs. from my home airport... It's in annual, but doesn't have an ADS-B transponder (has a B-K KT-76, working, mode c) . Is there a way to get it home under some sort of ferry permit? Would be pretty easy to just fly around any big traffic areas enroute.
I don't want to put in the skybeacon, because I want to change all the radios in the panel, and install a garmin 330es at the same time.
thanks
dan

should add, the airplane has a B-K KT-76, working, mode c

As long as you stay out of mandated airspace, you're golden.

Hello. Looking at at buying a 172 about 2.5 hrs. from my home airport... It's in annual, but doesn't have an ADS-B transponder. Is there a way to get it home under some sort of ferry permit? Would be pretty easy to just fly around any big traffic areas enroute.
thanks dan

Well hello Dan from Dan;)

Crop duster pilot out of Mexico (he's Mennonite) does this on the side all the time. He has the UAT Skybeacon and uses it as a temporary ADSB out on aircraft he's transporting. He passed through a month ago taking a clap trap plane to California and literally had it DUCT taped on the aircraft and flew daytime only as he rigged the strobes to power it (never officially installed it). He programs it through his phone and then removes it on arrival.

really helpful. THANKS for the reply.
dan

You only need ADS-B if you're in airspace that requires it (class C, class B, and class B's mode C veil). Don't fly in such airspace and you're good. If your point of origin or destination is inside such airspace, get a deviation per flyingnon's link above.

You only need ADS-B if you're in airspace that requires it (class C, class B, and class B's mode C veil). Don't fly in such airspace and you're good. If your point of origin or destination is inside such airspace, get a deviation per flyingnon's link above.
That's not the total amount of ADSB required airspace.

What are the origin and destination airport codes? It will be obvious if you share that. Otherwise, for all we know you're trying to fly over Washington DC or something.

My 172 doesn't have ADSB out. I don't anticipate it will any time soon.

Why do you think you need adsb??? Are you flying out of a class B airport?
My airplanes don't have ADSB and I am not putting ADSB in them.

If you need to fly into rule airspace, you need to use the FAA Adapt tool, see https://sapt.faa.gov/default.php . The request needs to sent when on the ground at least one hour before the flight and not more than 24 hours in advance. You will need a transponder with mode C to get approved for the flight. If you don't need to fly into rule airspace, which is very likely the case, you just make the flight and avoid any rule airspace.

Congrats on the potential purchase Dan. Perhaps it’s worth noting where the plane is currently based and where you intend to get it to. The ADAPT filing is pretty easy and useful. I used it for a half dozen flights in January thruought SoCal even thru the class B bravo right over LAX using the mini route and into San Diego class B on my way to KMyF. While it is not intended for indefinite usage I used the comments section to state ADS-b installation was planned for later that month, the flight purpose, and that flight was business related.
The major thing is to make sure the plane is completed with its annual and has a return to service entry in the log book to be compliant and then you don’t need a “ferry permit.” The ADS-b ADAPT filing is only needed for flying in ADS-b controlled airspace which is basically; in or over a class b or c airspace , mode c ring, or over 9,999’ MSL. AOPA and Paul Bertorelli had some good videos in December showing where you truly need ADS-b. From my understanding you could fly under a class C shelf but not over it. Paul gave a good example of KCNO which is a complicated conundrum due to the proximity of LAX bravo and its mode C ring. When in doubt, file the ADAPT...

Back