How to create your own maps for Foreflight

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
I've been grounded for a few weeks and decided to show people how they can make their own maps for Foreflight so that I had something at least sort of related to aviation to do.

I create a map using my drone and also show you how to do it with USGS imagery.

Forgive the ignorant question but...what's the point? Seems like you did a lot of things that only overlaid snow on the existing Foreflight map. :dunno:

Forgive the ignorant question but...what's the point? Seems like you did a lot of things that only overlaid snow on the existing Foreflight map. :dunno:
One can overlay other geoTIFFs on the existing ForeFlight map. For example, someone near the ocean could overlay a marine chart and have other information available than is displayed on the aeronautical chart. Or maybe someone has a reason to have an overlay of trails in a recreational area that they could call up.

One can overlay other geoTIFFs on the existing ForeFlight map. For example, someone near the ocean could overlay a marine chart and have other information available than is displayed on the aeronautical chart. Or maybe someone has a reason to have an overlay of trails in a recreational area that they could call up.

Seems like a really cool feature, I just haven't found a use for it yet! ;)

I was thinking that a layer with all of the concrete arrows and airway beacons would be cool, or closed airfields, or the topographic maps that show airfields... I just dug around for a while and couldn't find good sources for that stuff.

Yeah, that part wasn't super clear. I was trying to make a "how to" rather than a "why to" and might have leaned too far in that direction.

So, why?

Well, in the case of the drone example, the farm in question doesn't have normal airport obstruction characteristics nor any other documentation. So having access to a current set of imagery could be useful for briefing the approach. The imagery is available in flight, unlike the satellite view in Foreflight which requires a broadband connection. It could also be supplemented
with additional information like where to expect wind socks, indications of notable hazards, etc...

In the case of the USGS data, the why is thought it was really cool to fly around Idaho and have the historical information on my iPad. Was fun to scout old mines and other historic sites that aren't on sectionals (obviously) and are easier to scout with GPS augmentation than by printing out the maps and having them on my lap. It was also nice to have them when hiking, again, there isn't any connectivity in the bush so being able to load them and have them work in the field is a benefit.

I also used it when I was flying earthquake relief down in Mexico to get improved SA.

I was thinking that a layer with all of the concrete arrows and airway beacons would be cool, or closed airfields, or the topographic maps that show airfields... I just dug around for a while and couldn't find good sources for that stuff.

There is another feature in Foreflight called "Custom Map Layers". It would be better for this kind of thing. Maybe I'll do a video about that someday also.

There is another feature in Foreflight called "Custom Map Layers". It would be better for this kind of thing. Maybe I'll do a video about that someday also.

That would be awesome.

Well, in the case of the drone example, the farm in question doesn't have normal airport obstruction characteristics nor any other documentation. So having access to a current set of imagery could be useful for briefing the approach.
How about just wandering around the countryside aimlessly with a farmer friend until we see your plane? That seemed to work okay. ;)

How about just wandering around the countryside aimlessly with a farmer friend until we see your plane? That seemed to work okay. ;)

Everyone has their approach. Yours worked, so how can I criticize. lol!

Rich, I’ve been looking all over for how to do this. I am a helicopter pilot in the army and this type of thing is fantastic for us because we land almost everywhere. We have started using iPads in the cockpit and most everyone uses foreflight. I am looking for ways to cache or create satellite imagery for when we do training here in the US and we are unfamiliar with the landing zone we are going to, especially if there are several close together. Having predownloaded satellite imagery as custom content on foreflight would be a game changer for us. We can get our own imagery from the army but it’s a very lengthy process especially when all of our training is short notice or it is only for a single aircrew. Our imagery folks won’t waste the time making us geo referenced maps for small training areas we are only going to go to one time. Are you aware of ways to use google maps or any other satellite imagery?

I would assume this could have practical implications for Search and Rescue. With that said, I've never done SAR so it's just a thought. Really interesting, though!

Back