How to cook this tenderloin???

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
627C1EF5-AC38-47B8-8DFD-03BBA9EEF0FA.jpeg Chistmas dinner has been at my house for the last 20 years. For the first 10 years I would cook a tenderloin on a propane grill to a nice 125 internal snd let it rest. Just salt and pepper on the outside. Higher heat in the beginning to sear. Those ten years I was blessed with relatively mild weather temps in the 40’s no wind. Welp about 10 years ago it was cold. 15-20F cold with strong winds. Not thinking I fired up grille and just couldn’t get it to cook. Finally figured out too windy and too cold so I moved grille quickly to a greenhouse I have nearby and finished it. Wasn’t great. Last ten years I moved to inside and did standing rib roast in a ronco rotisserie-very good.
Wife surprised me with a 16 lb tenderloin as she likes it better then the rib roast apparently.
My question to PoA is how should I cook it. Temps going to be in the 30F range and falling tomorrow afternoon here. Grill for me is out.
Tools I have-ronco rotisserie
Oven-conventional and convection.
I thought about cutting it in half or 1/3’s and sear it on stove and finish in the oven. thoughts, ideas???

If it were me…

I’d pull the chain off the side, then cut off the roast on the thick end and save it for later. Trim off the silver skin. Then do what you’ve tried in the past on the grill. Sear it then lower the heat until 125. Shouldn’t take long. Then cut into medallions. If the grill won’t get hot enough, maybe the broiler and turn every few minutes. If you want steaks, cut into whatever thickness you want and sear in a cast iron skillet, then finish in the oven if necessary. The roast will fit in a cast iron skillet to sear, then put the whole skillet in the oven to finish, just like the steaks but it will take a few extra minutes.

Save the chain for some steak sandwiches or fajitas- cut it up and cook it with onions and peppers.

IMG_0914.jpg image.png 64537111733__F9CA7AC7-DD8A-457E-A226-42EF2D5806AB.jpg
Not wishing to hijack the thread but take a look at a wood fired reverse flow cooker. We built this one out of a repurposed 500 gallon propane tank. Wood is used instead of propane and heat goes under the rack and reverses over the rack and then out the exhaust. There is no comparison with wood or propane. Youtube is full of reverse flow testimonials and recipes. A well built reverse flow should cook nicely at the Arctic circle or in a category 5 hurricane. [OK, that may be an exaggeration]. Anyway, if you are looking to upgrade your grill I strongly recommend a reverse flow.

View attachment 103092 View attachment 103094 View attachment 103093
Not wishing to hijack the thread but take a look at a wood fired reverse flow cooker. We built this one out of a repurposed 500 gallon propane tank. Wood is used instead of propane and heat goes under the rack and reverses over the rack and then out the exhaust. There is no comparison with wood or propane. Youtube is full of reverse flow testimonials and recipes. A well built reverse flow should cook nicely at the Arctic circle or in a category 5 hurricane. [OK, that may be an exaggeration]. Anyway, if you are looking to upgrade your grill I strongly recommend a reverse flow.
I have been looking to upgrade. My grill it’s on its last leg anyway

Sous vide works great. You can put the portable unit into a large stock pot or even an igloo cooler.
Once it's uniformly medium rare or whatever, you can finish it off in a hot skillet to everyone's liking.

probably too late...and I'm no expert. I did one once using a method from Americas Test Kitchen. I don't recall the particulars, as I recall...
don't sear it first, and the idea was start on medium/low heat, take it out early....then make the oven really hot and put it back in for a quick browning finish

Your grille story reminds me of the time a few years ago, my propane grille ...a Jenn Air....for years it never got really as hot as I'd like. Anyway a few years ago I went to use it and it would hardly light. Basically didn't work, regulator was shot. I replaced the regulator with an adjustable one, and now I can finally get the thing hot.

Beef Wellington. Takes days of preparation but THE best eats that I have ever had.

probably too late...and I'm no expert. I did one once using a method from Americas Test Kitchen. I don't recall the particulars, as I recall...
don't sear it first, and the idea was start on medium/low heat, take it out early....then make the oven really hot and put it back in for a quick browning finish

Your grille story reminds me of the time a few years ago, my propane grille ...a Jenn Air....for years it never got really as hot as I'd like. Anyway a few years ago I went to use it and it would hardly light. Basically didn't work, regulator was shot. I replaced the regulator with an adjustable one, and now I can finally get the thing hot.
I’m cooking it tomorrow!! I have their book and follow it religiously. Has transformed our thanksgiving. I consult “the book”

Sous vide at 130* for about 5 hours, sear a crust on it after that. Can’t screw it up.

Trim off the silver skin.
This is a very important step where many people take shortcuts. Don't take shortcuts.

The rest of @Matthew 's post is pretty much the same as I'd do.
start on medium/low heat, take it out early....then make the oven really hot and put it back in for a quick browning finish
Ah, the "reverse sear". I believe it was from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, albeit when he was working for ATK. I've done this too with good success. The main reason I don't do it any more is that it smokes up the kitchen something fierce at eating time. I need a bigger house.

Beef Wellington. Takes days of preparation but THE best eats that I have ever had.
If you've got the time/money/skill and nobody is avoiding carbs/grains/gluten/etc, this is the way to go.

The weather gods shined kindly to me today and gave us a 40 to 50° day.Took it out an hour before and coded it with some olive oil black pepper rosemary and thyme. I was able to sear this on the grill at high heat for about five minutes aside and then please turn on the back of the grill and only had the front burner on about medium, kept the grill at about 300°F and about just under two hours later I was 125 on the thick side took it off and the rest of it for a half hour the rest is history. It was delicious. I took that side strip off rolled it into a pinwheel, tooth picked it,27D1EFA6-7E8F-4EAA-BE1F-90BDDEE2E822.jpeg and put that on about halfway through.

Mmmmm boy. I just ate, and that is making me hungry again.
You don't need to be asking for advice. You need to be giving it.

The weather gods shined kindly to me today and gave us a 40 to 50° day.Took it out an hour before and coded it with some olive oil black pepper rosemary and thyme. I was able to sear this on the grill at high heat for about five minutes aside and then please turn on the back of the grill and only had the front burner on about medium, kept the grill at about 300°F and about just under two hours later I was 125 on the thick side took it off and the rest of it for a half hour the rest is history. It was delicious. I took that side strip off rolled it into a pinwheel, tooth picked it,View attachment 103118 and put that on about halfway through.

Looks good to me.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Back