How to choose what kind of flying you like?

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I though about starting another "What plane should I buy" thread, but I already know the answer is Bonanza.

I've been looking at airplane ads and thinking about buying. But here's the thing: I've only had access to light singles (C-172 and Piper Cherokee and Archers). While I've got 10 hours of complex time and my endorsement, (in Arrows), and a smattering of 1/2 hour here and there in Evektor, Cirrus, etc, there are many types of planes I've never really been exposed to.

I mean, I could buy an amphib. I could buy a classic biplane, I could buy a warbird (CJ-6), a Cub or the like, a Maule. I could buy a twin. All very different planes and for different missions. How do I decide what kind of flying I'd like to do? I can't rent any of these anywhere close (or maybe at all).

How to sort through this and figure out what I'm actually interested in doing?

‘What type of flying will you be doing 90% of the time’ is the best way to put it and then buy an airplane that suits that mission the best.

Do you like traveling long distances? Do you like flying IFR? Do you typically just fly around locally to get in the air? Why do you go flying? What do you enjoy about it?

looks like you’re based in Orlando. There are a number of seaplane outfits not too far away. Looks like there’s a place not too far away that offers flights in a T6. There are also some other aerobatic places in Florida I found with a google search. I’m sure there are tail wheel places around too.

just do a search on Google for what your interested in and go for a flight.

I asked a motorcycling enthusiast friend what kind of bike I should buy.
He responded that I couldn't get just one.
I needed a dirt bike, a touring bike, a sport cruiser, a street racer...
And he had one of each!

Assuming you can't afford a plane for each mission, as mentioned, find your 90% use case.
15 years ago, I had a plane big enough to fit all my kids.
Now I have a fast 2-seater, so my wife and I can go visit the kids!

I believe Velocity and searey are also in the area. Velocity does (at least they used to) demo flights, maybe searey does as well?

You can make some broad strokes to narrow it down. Do you plan to travel long distances? Then the Cub is probably out. Do you want to land on unimproved strips? No Cirrus for you.

Its not really feasible to fly every plane you *might* like to do you evaluation. Nor every *type* of flying. Some planes, like the 182, are pretty versatile and can do a lot of different things pretty well.

I think most of us would LIKE to fly all the planes u listed. but I think @Ryanb pretty much summed it up.

As others have said, you should buy the plane which fits the primary mission and then rent for the rest. However, I’m not sure that your question of determining what your primary mission is has been addressed yet. For that, I would suggest taking into account the following:

* Family situation - Do you have one? Do they like to fly with you? Is travel something they and you want to do with a plane?

* Budget : Take into account not just the purchase price but also the recurring maintenance, insurance, operating costs, etc. Not much use to have a plane that you can’t afford to fly.

*Skill level and training: How much experience do you have? Are you IFR certified? Tailwheel certified? etc.

That being said, you really don’t have to fly every type of plane to get an idea of the different types of flying.

-If you aren’t IFR certified, take an IFR flight with an instructor in actual IMC. Go somewhere. What’d you think about the experience? Was it enjoyable?

-Do a few long x-country flights, preferably with your family and stay overnight. Pick an interesting destination.

-Take a demo aerobatic ride. Is that what you want to do most flights, just occasionally, or never again?

-If you don’t have your tailwheel cert, take a lesson or two. Like it? A lot? Or too much work?

-Take an introductory lesson or two in a sea plane, preferably an amphibian. Do you see yourself wanting to explore all the lakes, and rivers in the country after that?

Now look back and assess which type of flying you see yourself doing the most. If nothing stands out, then maybe keep renting for a while. If one type dominates, then buy a plane to fit that mission and rent for the other types.

For me, travel with my wife is the primary mission. We bought a plane for that.

1cb269c08fa00ad79d55b5e20f260812.jpg

But I have other interests as well. I rent for those.
c008e4e55ed4f2a8e300c0ae5a0a1c86.jpg

0f17a8a8dd002a2b10194e7d67bc38bb.jpg

4e5a0ce9171e4d339f3881e8f8bf9f3b.jpg

Checkbook. Check. Working on IR. Have been for multiple years. (Long story covered elsewhere here, mainly in the student pilot thread.)

The thing is, I've never done any back country flying (even as a passenger). Aerobatic I've looked into (and think I'd like to train over in Leesburg at least a little to see if I like it.) Seaplanes, yep. Lots of places. Once my IR is done.

Define your 90% mission is where I'm stuck.

any flying clubs near you?

As others have said, you should buy the plane which fits the primary mission and then rent for the rest. However, I’m not sure that your question of determining what your primary mission is has been addressed yet. For that, I would suggest taking into account the following:

* Family situation - Do you have one? Do they like to fly with you? Is travel something they and you want to do with a plane?

* Budget : Take into account not just the purchase price but also the recurring maintenance, insurance, operating costs, etc. Not much use to have a plane that you can’t afford to fly.

*Skill level and training: How much experience do you have? Are you IFR certified? Tailwheel certified? etc.

That being said, you really don’t have to fly every type of plane to get an idea of the different types of flying.

-If you aren’t IFR certified, take an IFR flight with an instructor in actual IMC. Go somewhere. What’d you think about the experience? Was it enjoyable?

-Do a few long x-country flights, preferably with your family and stay overnight. Pick an interesting destination.

-Take a demo aerobatic ride. Is that what you want to do most flights, just occasionally, or never again?

-If you don’t have your tailwheel cert, take a lesson or two. Like it? A lot? Or too much work?

-Take an introductory lesson or two in a sea plane, preferably an amphibian. Do you see yourself wanting to explore all the lakes, and rivers in the country after that?

Now look back and assess which type of flying you see yourself doing the most. If nothing stands out, then maybe keep renting for a while. If one type dominates, then buy a plane to fit that mission and rent dor the other types.

For me, travel with my wife is the primary mission. We bought a plane for that.

1cb269c08fa00ad79d55b5e20f260812.jpg

But I have other interests as well. I rent for those.
c008e4e55ed4f2a8e300c0ae5a0a1c86.jpg

0f17a8a8dd002a2b10194e7d67bc38bb.jpg

4e5a0ce9171e4d339f3881e8f8bf9f3b.jpg
Lovely Bellanca!

Where do you rent for those others? I've often seen the "Buy for your 90% mission, rent for the rest." advice, which sounds good. But even when we're talking traveling, there's nowhere around here to rent 1) aerobatic planes, 2) seaplanes or amphibs, 3) twins or other 6 seat aircraft without an instructor along. They are available as trainers and nothing else. (And with insurance being what it is, I understand.)

Lovely Bellanca!

Where do you rent for those others? I've often seen the "Buy for your 90% mission, rent for the rest." advice, which sounds good. But even when we're talking traveling, there's nowhere around here to rent 1) aerobatic planes, 2) seaplanes or amphibs, 3) twins or other 6 seat aircraft without an instructor along. They are available as trainers and nothing else. (And with insurance being what it is, I understand.)

you know, on the flip side, maybe you don't mind buying and selling planes multiple times. that's not for me, but if you have a solid mechanic you trust and gobs of extra cash, why not buy a plane, fly it for a while, sell it, buy something else, sell it, etc...? I wouldn't do it but maybe that IS your mission...…...

Lovely Bellanca!

Thanks about the Bellanca!

I’m lucky to live in the SF Bay area where there is a strong GA presence. The Biplane and the Decathlon are available to rent at Advantage aviation in Palo Alto. There are also twins to rent at various clubs around the area. The Lake amphibian is available to rent in Grass Valley at Alpine Aviation, about an hour flight away via the Viking. That’s the thing. For us, if we have a good traveling machine, it’s not too hard to fly where the other planes are.

Last edited:
Let's see... you've been a member since 2007, you have over 5000 posts on here, and you're asking the question "How do I decide what kind of flying I'd like to do?"??

The quest for a mission is all too common. I've known several people, myself included, who get an airplane and then end up saying, "now what?". I guess you're trying to get ahead of that. I think the answer is obvious: Keep flying and try as many things as you can. Some things will resonate more than others. Go fly a Cub, go fly an amphib if you want, go do some loops and rolls, or whatever else might suit your fancy. Just be aware that one plane won't satisfy all missions. Maybe get a traveling plane and a bop-around fun plane. Just keep flying until you know what kind of flying you do, no one can tell you that. Heck, buy a plane, and sell a plane, buy another one, and then sell it. Eventually you'll know what you like. Planes are not like women -- it's okay to rent them, it's easy enough to trade up, heck you can have multiple planes if you want.

you know, on the flip side, maybe you don't mind buying and selling planes multiple times. that's not for me, but if you have a solid mechanic you trust and gobs of extra cash, why not buy a plane, fly it for a while, sell it, buy something else, sell it, etc...? I wouldn't do it but maybe that IS your mission...…...

Another possibility is to get together with a group of other pilots, form a club, and buy several aircraft to fit the different missions. Maybe one person grooves on travel, another likes acro, etc. See if you can find those different folks and try to meld the various 90% missions so that they overlap, and you have access to different types.

What I found after making the decision to buy a specific airplane (not entirely because of what the airplane was intended to do) was that I really enjoyed exploring what that airplane was good at.

if you buy an IFR cross country cruiser, you’ll probably enjoy that kind of flying and want to get better at it.

if you buy a backcountry airplane, you probably enjoy improving your skills there.

I think the decision is as much about your wallet, hangar/storage options, and what you think will make you look cool on the ramp as it is about the airplane mission...you’ll adapt to the airplane.

When I first started flight training in 2004 there was a club here in Orlando called CAP Flying. They had (at the time) 4 older C-172s, 2 relatively new C-172s, two Arrows, a Lance, a Beech Sundowner, and a Piper Seminole (later replaced with a Grumman GA-7 Cougar). By the time I got through my private and worked on my IR for a while, they had sold all but two of the older 172s, totaled one of the newer 172s and the Sundowner, and then went bankrupt. I then joined a club with 1 C-172 and a second on leaseback. When the club owner and chief instructor was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer, that club closed. I found the one I'm in now. It has 2 C-172s (with nice G5/G430 stacks) and an Archer on lease back.

A nice, diverse club with lots o planes would be excellent. But the most diverse here abouts has a 182 and a Cherokee. Or the one I'm in.

Anyway, other than back country flying and classic biplanes I can certainly go do the seaplane thing and try acro.

What I found after making the decision to buy a specific airplane (not entirely because of what the airplane was intended to do) was that I really enjoyed exploring what that airplane was good at.

if you buy an IFR cross country cruiser, you’ll probably enjoy that kind of flying and want to get better at it.

if you buy a backcountry airplane, you probably enjoy improving your skills there.

I think the decision is as much about your wallet, hangar/storage options, and what you think will make you look cool on the ramp as it is about the airplane mission...you’ll adapt to the airplane.

Looking cool is probably a lost cause.

Thanks about the Bellanca!

I’m lucky to live in the SF Bay area where there is a strong GA presence. The Biplane and the Decathlon are available to rent at Advantage aviation in Palo Alto. There are also twins to rent at various clubs around the area. The Lake amphibian is available to rent in Grass Valley at Alpine Aviation, about an hour flight away via the Viking. That’s the thing. For us, if we have a good traveling machine, it’s not too hard to fly where the other planes are.

Cool that you have interesting rental options. Around here, it's "buy for 90% of your missions" and rent a clapped out 10,000hr 172 the other 10% lol.

When did you last read through your logbook? The flying you have already done is indicative of the flying you will do again, and thus your mission. I bought a plane and flew it a bunch, and then reading my logbook realized that I could fine-tune my mission statement enough to buy *cough*build*cough* a different plane.

The first question is whether you want to fly to go someplace or to do something. The second question is who will fly with you. Your logbook provides half the answer to both questions, and your “wish I could have flown” moments provide the other half. With those things sorted out, you can move on to listing planes that will do the mission and then balancing how well they do it with your budget.

Cool that you have interesting rental options. Around here, it's "buy for 90% of your missions" and rent a clapped out 10,000hr 172 the other 10% lol.

Yeah, I am lucky.

I see that your location is Southeast Tennessee. I grew up in Kingston, so I understand the issues with limited availabilty. I think there’s a Champ available to rent in Oliver Springs, but, yeah, not much else beside the 172s. I’m pretty sure, however, that there are interesting planes around the area, just not for rent. Maybe time to strike up some friendships with the owners of the cool stuff. We had a guy loan us his Champ on floats one summer when I was around 10 years old. He wasn’t using it that summer, and he thought maybe my flight instructor father might be able to find some people to rent it for their seaplane rating. Fun summer!

This is where I think clubs could be a good approach. I'd love to fly a taildragger, aerobat, load hauler, fast long traveler, bi-plane, vintage sight-see-er with no electrical, experimental with the latest gadgets, a twin, amphibian, gyro-copter, etc.

But I can't own all those. Find 10 guys that can afford a plane, and put them all in a club.....

The problem with this approach is finding 10 guys that aren't a-holes, and are capable of not killing someone in the planes.

First, is there a spouse or lady friend in the picture. Are there kids in the picture? If the answer is no and no, I'd get an RV of some stripe in a damn big hurry. Strikes off two boxes, travel and acro. Folks here claim to fly them IFR, I'll take their word for it somewhat incredulously. That's box number 3. Now if there's a spouse in the picture you may or may not have a limitation. Spouse might not go for the canopy in the hot Florida sun. If there's kids you need a back seat, and probably something a bit more sedate.

If there's no spouse, no kids, and not even a steady lady friend I think our valiant OP should be asking somewhat different questions of himself other than "what's my aviation mission". Sometimes other life choices take precedence. But perhaps that's just me.

I spend my days beating up the bushes and doing spins, etc. I fly a Cub.
For any other mission, I rent something appropriate.

Money ,mission,get some intro flights,pull the trigger.

Spouse, yes. She has and will fly with me to go somewhere, but not flying for its own sake. Kids are grown. Transporting all kids and their spouses gets into type rated aircraft quickly...

I want the IFR because I'm so dang close. I originally thought we'd travel by airplane not because it's cost effective but because it's an adventure. For a traveling plane I'd like a nice twin. (But I'd need to get rated in one!) I'm interested in acro (I think, having never tried it.). I like the back country videos, but again have never even ridden along.

Anyway, musings.

Fly by renting for a year or two. Then reflect on what you did most. Think about what you'd like to do more. That's your answer.

I just wanted to fly. You can make most planes fit most of your missions. They all take off, cruise and land some place. Find a plane that's fun to fly, or looks cool to you and go fly it.

It might not get you there the fastest, land the shortest or fly the highest, but you'll still get there.

Fly by renting for a year or two. Then reflect on what you did most. Think about what you'd like to do more. That's your answer.
I have but what can do is restricted by what I can rent. Nothing I have access to allows back country strips (for example).

Bo. Maule. Bo.

two of those three planes are the right plane for you.

RV. Do all the acro you want. Travel all you want. Get a taildragger RV and land anywhere. Put in some experimental avionics and go get your IR. Only reason I haven't got one is Mrs. Steingar doesn't like the canopy and an RV will not carry her ****.

My wife does pack light! That is an advantage.

Anybody in Central Florida with an RV to take me for a ride?

When I was shopping for my plane I decided to go with Bonanza even though 90% of my flying was local. While “buy for 90% of the mission, rent for 10%” sounds good in theory, it doesn’t always work like this:

1. Very few places have anything interesting to rent, the most “travel” airplane is either 182 or if you are lucky, extremely overpriced Cirrus. There a few exceptions, notably in Bay Area where you can rent SR22 G2 for reasonable amount (still expensive), but you are stuck with 172 and Archers in most places.

2. Even if you find a suitable airplane for rent, if it’s for travel, you will deal with scheduling conflicts as everyone will want to take this plane for a long weekend, etc. Forget about it if you want to take it for a few weeks.

When it works is when those 10% is not travel, but stuff like aerobatics or floatplanes and if you can find one for rent.

Another observation is that mission tends to change over time. Once you get a good cross-county airplane (or even if you get YOUR airplane, any airplane) you start to travel more.

First, is there a spouse or lady friend in the picture. Are there kids in the picture? If the answer is no and no, I'd get an RV of some stripe in a damn big hurry. Strikes off two boxes, travel and acro. Folks here claim to fly them IFR, I'll take their word for it somewhat incredulously. That's box number 3.
Aw, come on! I got my IR in my RV-9A, and fly in IMC all the time. Yes, it’s harder than a 172, but definitely doable. I’m no Bob Hoover.

My wife loves the bubble canopy (and the sliding canopy shade).
I’d have to agree. An RV checks a lot of boxes.

The checkbook bar is the first hurdle. That will eliminate lots of things. Then considering what you envision doing with a plane if you own it. For regional travel, say 500 nm or so radius, a light single with the appropriate payload can be reasonably versatile, including IFR. I have made lots of trips to Maine and the DC area from Central NY in my AA-5, and GA is boatloads better than driving unless you have to haul kayaks, etc. When I was commuting many weekends home when I was working at the NIH, the plane was a godsend.

Anybody in Central Florida with an RV to take me for a ride?

RVs are everywhere. Ask around. And yeah, RVs aren't best at anything, but they're "good enough" at more things than anything else. My BIL built an RV-8. He and my sister fly all over the country in it, he does aerobatics, it feels comfortable to the ex USAF pilot he is, and he flies it out of his 900' grass strip.

But if you don't buy your "last" plane it's no big deal. Me, I tend to keep aircraft for 5 years or so. Taylorcraft, paramotor, ultralights, the last 3 have been biplanes, I've had this one for a year and a half... but who knows, the next might be another biplane, but I could also see myself in a seaplane or a bush plane or...

Back