How to care for boots…

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
I recently acquired an aircraft with boots. I’ve never had an aircraft with boots before.

Any advice on how to care for them?, ie, I believe there are some coatings that can be applied, but I am unsure what/how or how often.

Or, is this something better left to professionals?

I did purchase this, but I’m not sure if it’s really doing any good: https://pilotshq.com/products/bf-go...MI9JLikuK9gwMV0hWtBh0E_QFOEAQYDCABEgKrbPD_BwE

Sorry, couldn't resist.
d4c4e50760750b6ecd639312baa562f2.jpg

On a more serious note, found this here.

In what order should I use the Goodrich care products on my de-icer?
Goodrich care products can be used separately or in combination per application instructions described in ATA 30-10-31 Installation Manual.

The correct order of application for neoprene de-icers is shown below:

AgeMasterNo.1 --> ShineMaster --> Aerospace Protectant -->ICEXII

The correct order of application for Estane de-icers is shown below:

ShineMaster --> Aerospace Protectant -->ICEXII

The correct order of application for Urethane de-icers is shown below:

Aerospace Protectant --> ICEXII

SILVERboot polish can also be used on silver Urethane de-icers, if desired. It would be applied before the Aerospace Protectant.

Maybe tell us which ones you have and the model of aircraft they are attached to.

I’d use 303 protectant because it’s what I have and what I use on all my rubber that’s exposed to UV and weather.

I have zero hands on experience maintaining boots, but I did go to A&P school last year and they recommended soap and water to keep them clean of bugs after each flight.

You’ve used this? Good results?

Even an idiot (like me) can apply it? :)
For 17 years and yes. Stripping off of the old layers is no fun but I have found that PBS last longer than Goodrich. I now use a local aircraft cleaner that strips off old layers and adds the new layers for $300, Citation 560 Ultra. Last time was 5/2022. I usually add 2-3 new layers every 3-4 months myself. We only fly 100-125 hours a year. After 12-18 months a flight through heavy rain or icing will deteriorate the finish enough to have to do the strip and refinish. When you start seeing tiny cracks in the finish you will know the stripping is coming soon. Our next one is coming soon. It lasts several years on our C340.

Much better than the mop and glo that we used on King Airs back in the 80's.

2020 Piper M600
Given its a newer aircraft there are some different materials/compounds being used to mfg boots. Might want to check the OEM books and see what is recommended. But in my experience the most important thing to get your boots to last the longest is clean them with soap and water after each flight day. Using one of the products above completes the boot care process but simply cleaning them regularly makes the difference.

I recently acquired an aircraft with boots. I’ve never had an aircraft with boots before.

Any advice on how to care for them?, ie, I believe there are some coatings that can be applied, but I am unsure what/how or how often.

Or, is this something better left to professionals?

I did purchase this, but I’m not sure if it’s really doing any good: https://pilotshq.com/products/bf-goodrich-aerospace-boot-protectant-32oz-74-451-237-32?currency=USD&variant=32503215718536&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=7d9809af00ec&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9JLikuK9gwMV0hWtBh0E_QFOEAQYDCABEgKrbPD_BwE
Not sure if this is any help or apply’s to your plane?
IMG_3821.jpegIMG_3822.jpeg

Back