How to be productive during solo?

This will be hard to do. Even "short" lessons are about 1.3 hours these days. However I am still insisting on a mid week lesson and a weekend lesson, at the bare minimum, to keep very current in my flying. I hate feeling rusty after a week of. We flew on Tuesday and that's not really mid week but oh well.

Tuesday consisted of flying to a nearby "difficult" airport with a short field. He does not allow students to solo there. Trees / winds / etc. It is 0Q9 Sonoma Skypark. Tiny airport. I did not do that well on my short field landings (400 ft instead of 200 ft) but they got better each time. Quite challenging there with the winds. I was happy I found the airport without a sectional. Also practiced was emergency on takeoff (engine failure) and I forgot what to do so I just said "that field there!" really fast. We also, either this lesson or last, did engine out above my home airport, so gliding in and some more short and soft field takeoffs. He is asking me to grade them now and also telling me if they would "pass" or not so I know we're nearing the home stretch.

We fly again on Sunday we will do more oral (airplane systems) and then most likely more flying stuff like unusual attitudes and power on stalls with and without a turn (accelerated). After our flight I am going to fly solo, I have about 1.2 solo hours left to do and not sure if I will simply do half and then the other half another weekend.

Sonoma Skypark, I had a client lived near there. Nice airport, don't remember it being small though, but there were trees off each end... So I'm guessing your landings all passed. I would get all your required solo time done, go back and add up your log again from scratch and make sure you've got all your requirements in so when it's time for the ride, you're ready there. If you need another 1/2 hour down the line, well get another .5, no rule says you can't have more than the minimums.

Kim, may I suggest you have a look at the Private Pilot Practical Test Standards before your next "lesson".

My point is:
Olympic athletes have known for a long time that overtraining is nearly as deleterious to performance as under-preparation.

Kim, may I suggest you have a look at the Private Pilot Practical Test Standards before your next "lesson".

My point is:
Olympic athletes have known for a long time that overtraining is nearly as deleterious to performance as under-preparation.

I doubt flying once a week or so is over training. And I am trying to read the PTS, thanks.

I doubt flying once a week or so is over training. And I am trying to read the PTS, thanks.
I don't think that is what he is referring to. I suspect that he is referring to sweating the precision. Remember what they say about the PPL - it is a license to learn. Most examiners are not going to bust you for touching down a little long on the short field. That comes more on the commercial checkride.

Doesn't mean you should do your best, but do give yourself a break. If you can relax a bit, I suspect you will find yourself doing better.

Also, FWIW, touching down 400' vs 200' from your intended point is most likey an issue with carrying too much speed on short final. I can't comment on 152s (I think that is what you said you were training in), but I know that the Cessna book numbers for 172 approach speeds are too high. I believe it was Ron Levy who pointed out that the correct short field approach speed was something like 5 kts slower than book. Once I started using the slower approach speed in the 172, I was able to nail my touchdowns well within 100'.

Sonoma Skypark, I had a client lived near there. Nice airport, don't remember it being small though, but there were trees off each end... So I'm guessing your landings all passed. I would get all your required solo time done, go back and add up your log again from scratch and make sure you've got all your requirements in so when it's time for the ride, you're ready there. If you need another 1/2 hour down the line, well get another .5, no rule says you can't have more than the minimums.

OK you are right, let me rephrase: "small" means smaller than my airport LOL.

Also, funny you should mention times and adding them up. I asked my instructor if we could review my times and he told me just to re-add them since I'm close to being done with all the min's and he will "really review" my log book at the end when he says we are "doing all the paperwork" not sure what he means. I think as I get closer we'll dive deeper into the log book. As of today the only stuff I have left is about 0.5 instrument and 1.2 solo. I can do the whole 1.2 solo on Sunday just to be done with it if I want to but I doubt we'll do .5 instrument. So I guess maybe two flights from now my minimums will be done. He is very good at spacing things out so that a student can save money.

Kimberly

I ended up getting the last .3 hrs of instrument time for my private by taxiing around the airport under the hood :wink2:

Skypark can be a challenge. In addition to the trees on the approach end, you're coming down over some hills so it kind of feels like you are skimming the trees for a while. Also, there is a road (116) on the downwind that looks like, but does not really parallel, the downwind leg. If you happen to follow-it, your base leg will be quite short.

Kimberly -- I think I saw you are out of Petaluma -- who are you training with?

Skypark can be a challenge. In addition to the trees on the approach end, you're coming down over some hills so it kind of feels like you are skimming the trees for a while. Also, there is a road (116) on the downwind that looks like, but does not really parallel, the downwind leg. If you happen to follow-it, your base leg will be quite short.

Kimberly -- I think I saw you are out of Petaluma -- who are you training with?

You're in Petaluma? I'll send you a PM. I've posted a lot on here about him when I've been frustrated and may not have made him look good so I will not post his name online.....

Kimberly

I don't think that is what he is referring to. I suspect that he is referring to sweating the precision. Remember what they say about the PPL - it is a license to learn. Most examiners are not going to bust you for touching down a little long on the short field. That comes more on the commercial checkride.

Doesn't mean you should do your best, but do give yourself a break. If you can relax a bit, I suspect you will find yourself doing better.

Also, FWIW, touching down 400' vs 200' from your intended point is most likey an issue with carrying too much speed on short final. I can't comment on 152s (I think that is what you said you were training in), but I know that the Cessna book numbers for 172 approach speeds are too high. I believe it was Ron Levy who pointed out that the correct short field approach speed was something like 5 kts slower than book. Once I started using the slower approach speed in the 172, I was able to nail my touchdowns well within 100'.

....there is no rule that says you have to cut ties with your CFI after you get your ticket for those things that we should know but is not in the PTS.

You're in Petaluma? I'll send you a PM. I've posted a lot on here about him when I've been frustrated and may not have made him look good so I will not post his name online.....

Kimberly

It's always nice to see people with a sense of integrity.

Doc

Kimberly, make a "dance card".

Climb to 4,000.
Slow flight.
Steep turns.
Power OFF stall at 4,000 maintain 4,000
Emergency approach.
Turns around a point.
Trafffic pattern
Short field landing
Go around
Crosswind landing.

Something like that. You only climb once (which takes time) and you have "packed" it in.

Climb to 4,000.
Slow flight.
Steep turns.
Emergency approach.
Turns around a point.
Trafffic pattern
Short field landing
Go around
Crosswind landing.

Something like that. You only climb once (which takes time) and you have "packed" it in.

Excellent advice - definitely maximizes your time.

Excellent advice - definitely maximizes your time.

Similar to what a good Examiner will do, too. There's a lot to pack into a PPL checkride. To get it all done in not much more than an hour, you'll see the various maneuvers get setup this way.

4000'???:crazy: It's scary way up there...
I wanted to say that I never have flown that low, but remembered that two weeks ago I landed at an airport of 3541 ft elevation (my home base is 5350 ft MSL). It was a new low for me!
-- Pete

4000'???:crazy: It's scary way up there...
Call me paranoid but I like the buffer when covering various types of stalls with new student pilots, especially when I don't know what their reaction is going to be. 4,000 gives me a 2500 ft buffer which is a enough to get out of a spin without dragging the wheels in the corn, provided they don't fight me too much :).
I'd go a little higher yet if the damn airplane knew how to climb. On these 90-100 degree days, 4000 ft in a C150 is really a struggle. 100-150 fpm ish.

I'm less worried about buffer altitude with pilots when I'm aware of their abilities and how they react.

Call me paranoid but I like the buffer when covering various types of stalls with new student pilots, especially when I don't know what their reaction is going to be. 4,000 gives me a 2500 ft buffer which is a enough to get out of a spin without dragging the wheels in the corn, provided they don't fight me too much :).
I'd go a little higher yet if the damn airplane knew how to climb. On these 90-100 degree days, 4000 ft in a C150 is really a struggle. 100-150 fpm ish.

I'm less worried about buffer altitude with pilots when I'm aware of their abilities and how they react.

Yeah, actually I've been flying a lot at 7500' lately because of the heat, plus it's the bottom of the performance/fuel "sweet spot" range where I can get 180kts TAS at 21-22gph. Short flights I still stay low. Went up the other night Gator spotting with a friend.:D Gotta stay under 120kts because of the flip out landing lights, but it's still fun. All them glowing dots out there....:yikes::D

I think this is part of what I was getting at when I cautioned people not to talk too much during the checkride. You don't need to voice everything you feel, especially your insecurities. You don't necessarily want to be doing this with passengers either and the examiner is acting as an observing passenger. If you really don't understand some of these items you need more study or instruction. It would also a be a good idea to understand the concepts on the ground before trying them again in the airplane so, in this case, I agree with your instructor.

Don't get too discouraged, though. Everyone goes through ups and downs and many times there are downs as you are getting ready for a checkride.

Thank you. My instructor has let me know what to study before our Sunday flight (airplane systems, emergencies such as fires or loss of certain items in the plane, etc).

My DPE in his pre-ride breifing informed me that I should not give any indication if a maneuver is below standard, that is his job. And if I tell him that I performed below standard, he has no alternative but to agree.

A few posts back someone asked the question about Max X-wind and control deflection. This is the "key" to the X-winds issue and I agree with remaining inside the test envelope UNLESS it's your airplane, you know it very well, and .... I forget the other IF. Nevertheless, the rudder is the limiting controls for X-winds. If you cannot maintain longitudinal alignment with full rudder, better to land at an alternate.

Thank you. I have heard however that it is better if you recognize DURING the manuever (let's say, steep turn) that you are below standard and you start "fixing" it. So if you are losing more feet than you are allowed in order to pass, you do whatever to correct it and exit the turn at close to the entry altitude.

Thank you. I have heard however that it is better if you recognize DURING the manuever (let's say, steep turn) that you are below standard and you start "fixing" it. So if you are losing more feet than you are allowed in order to pass, you do whatever to correct it and exit the turn at close to the entry altitude.
Best to just notice it before you break the 100 foot tolerance. Not hard to do. Roll into the steep turn. Plant the nose on teh horizon where it's supposed to be. Then keep the nose where it needs to be and glance at the altimeter every few seconds.

There are several things to pay attention to, which I try and program into my student's brains, and mostly in order of importance:

1.) Nose on the horizon. Learn what that looks like
2.) You should *FEEL* a certain amount of G force. If you're not feeling that you're descending.
3.) *Listen* to the airplane. If you hear things getting louder, you're descending, if you hear things getting quieter, you're climbing.

Based on those three things you can go all the way around, right on the money, without even referencing the panel.

Last edited:

Exactly, if it's just going a little wrong, "fix it", the DE "might not have seen" that you busted the altitude a little if you exit at the correct altitude. There is another side to the coin though if something is getting out of hand, and then you just fully recover before it appears dangerous. Messing up a maneuver on a check ride is common and forgivable, losing control is not. If you have to break off a maneuver, it would be a good thing to be able to identify where it went wrong and why you chose to recover rather than correct as that will likely be asked lol...

Last edited:

Climb to 4,000.
Slow flight.
Steep turns.
Emergency approach.
Turns around a point.
Trafffic pattern
Short field landing
Go around
Crosswind landing.

Awesome, gonna do exactly this today and tomorrow after a few touch and goes at KGVQ (instructor is at Oshkosh, the bastard)

Awesome, gonna do exactly this today and tomorrow after a few touch and goes at KGVQ (instructor is at Oshkosh, the bastard)

I should have printed this out however I dropped the dipstick in my tank and couldn't solo. Besides, I was going to just stay in the pattern and practice shorts and softs - something I haven't done (yet) while solo'ing, only dual.

Back