How to avoid trouble with the FAA?

I'm curious how the FAA knew he had pax, is there some kind of logging requirement if you are carrying pax on a commercial flight? Or did he just comment on it?
That's my guess. I read the ALJ case a long time ago, and don't remember all the specifics. The fact that it happened that long ago (1990's, IIRC) is probably why R&W can't find it in the FAA enforcement database -- it would have been expunged years ago, and without the pilot's name and a valid reason for a "blue ribbon" package request (and settling an internet question isn't such), the enforcement case is not supposed to be available to a field Inspector.

I'd be curious as to why they wanted him so bad they went back 10 years to get him.
I suspect the individual was on the FSDO's unwritten "known bad actors" list, and they were looking to hang him for anything they could prove. I've actually seen an Inspector lie in wait for a pilot on whom they had a past file of unprovable complaints and were looking to nail. And yes, he did on that day provide the evidence they needed, all by himself voluntarily and without prompting, before the eyes of the Inspector and other credible witnesses.

It isn't that big of a deal, If you are asked to show your logs to the FAA at the aircraft, all you need to say is " do you mind if I bring them up to date"? I have never seen a FAA employee that would refuse you that request.
Agreed. Just make sure it's correct and up to date before you hand it over.

Last edited:
One way I have seen that done (and I thought it was clever) was the pilot had photocopied the endorsements, shrunk the size and had it hard laminated so he could carry it with his other certificates. :yes:
Sounds like a good idea to me. Just remember that not all the rules on logbook carriage for Student, Sport, and Rec pilots allow that "other evidence" substitution.

The fact that it happened that long ago (1990's, IIRC) is probably why R&W can't find it in the FAA enforcement database --

Not true. We have several DB's available that are easiably searchable.

it would have been expunged years ago, and without the pilot's name and a valid reason for a "blue ribbon" package request (and settling an internet question isn't such), the enforcement case is not supposed to be available to a field Inspector.

Again, not true. Ron is guessing at something here he has no knowledge of.

The "Blue Ribbon" records package is hard copies of what's in the database that is certified as true and correct.

I'm not going into great detail on this subject because it's not something that needs to be discussed in the public domain. But I can assure you those records do exist and are available to field personel.

I'm not going into great detail on this subject because it's not something that needs to be discussed in the public domain. But I can assure you those records do exist and are available to field personel.
I was assured by my FSDO that they are not so availabe without proper cause. One of you is incorrect.

If you keep your airplane legal, have your documentation in order, and are polite to the inspector, he/she should end up giving you a more or less pleasant experience.

I was ramp checked once, about 3.5 years ago. I had a whopping 65 hours at the time, with the ink barely dry on my Private Pilot temporary airman certificate. The inspector was friendly, and we spent more time talking about airplanes and flying than doing the ramp check. There was a discrepancy, actually. The airworthiness certificate for the airplane I was flying was there, but torn in two pieces, which is not acceptable.

The inspector informed me that he could make a big deal about it, but he wouldn't, just to tell the club officers when I got home to get a new one issued from the local FSDO so the plane would be legal. Nice guy.

I was assured by my FSDO that they are not so availabe without proper cause. One of you is incorrect.

This is one of the problems with relying on non-published communications with FAA personnel. Different FAA personnel sometimes contradict each other.

This is one of the problems with relying on non-published communications with FAA personnel. Different FAA personnel sometimes contradict each other.

Contradictions, i was actually told during a ramp in BVU that I should NOT keep the airworthiness certificate in the airplane!!! Other than the fact that I had the airworthiness certificate on board everything else checked out and i was "let go" with a verbal warning.

Did I argue with this moron from the FAA. No! I said thanks for the warning and let the chief pilot make a call to our POI to let them know what was going on in Vegas.

Smile, be polite and keep your mouth shut, all will generally be well.
Keep Your AOPA legal services plan in force just in case.
Like the one of the first responders said, Never Lie!

Sent from my iPad

Contradictions, i was actually told during a ramp in BVU that I should NOT keep the airworthiness certificate in the airplane!!! Other than the fact that I had the airworthiness certificate on board everything else checked out and i was "let go" with a verbal warning.

Did I argue with this moron from the FAA. No! I said thanks for the warning and let the chief pilot make a call to our POI to let them know what was going on in Vegas.

Smile, be polite and keep your mouth shut, all will generally be well.
Keep Your AOPA legal services plan in force just in case.
Like the one of the first responders said, Never Lie!

Sent from my iPad

Its amazing how retarded some of the FAA people are.

Its amazing how retarded some of the FAA people are.

On the other hand, it's amazing how some of these stories get started.

In our internet filled world there is all these myths and horror stories repeated and to the unsuspecting will tend to believe them. I suspect most of these stories are like a fish tale, the fish get's bigger each time it's told and someone will read a version on the 'net that is nowhere near what really happened.

Last edited:
The local FSDO rent from the same fbo at a small airport here. I've met one of the FSDO inspectors, and he's a pretty nice guy, very chatty, and I've learned from him. He also commented that they rent from this fbo because the airplanes are maintained so well. That makes me feel safe, considering the last place I rented the airplanes were crappy and poorly maintained.

Well many "stories" are greatly exaggerated and come from someone who had a friend who knew this pea farmer from back in the day who...... But mine is first hand, i actually had a team of two faa guys who did not think the airworthiness certificate should be in the aircraft. Other than this, most my encounters with the faa have been very professional. You never know what your going to get, and what they may or may not "know". Nobody ever followed up with us on what these two were thinking.

Sent from my iPad

Folks, the FAA is just like the IRS, they will send you a letter by U.S. Mail if they see or find something wrong. Period.
I have been dealing with them for 10 years, we run an FAA repair station. If they come around they always show their badges, if they want to see your licenses, just go ahead and show your licenses. If they want to inspect your airplane, just let them do their job.
If they send a letter with the following letterhead: "Intention of a License" then you are in big trouble!! :rofl:

No, nothing bad happened, but its always good to be prepared.

I have zero experience with dealing with ramp checks, "tower has a number for you to call" etc.

I'm sure many more of us never been there, but are full of questions and myths.
Some info about Dos and Don'ts before, while, and after a friendly chat with the FAA is what I'm looking for.

This could be a useful tool for us (the inexperienced) so lets try to keep this informative and avoid (if at all possible) getting sidetracked.

Now here is something that makes you think about the competency of some relatively low level government officials, who wield a lot of power and can put you out of business with little effort on their part...

Note in the deposition the part about AD information that is superseded [and need not be kept on file] and the obvious lack of knowledge by both the inspector & FAA Counsel regarding that, as evidenced by their comments!

The following was forwarded to me by a friend:

Quote:

Subject: The FAA is here to help you

For those not involved in the aviation, these two videos may not interest you.

They do, however, point out a stunning example of yet another Federal Bureaucracy run amok, fostering more and more incompetence.

Fortunately for those in government, the general public is probably unaware of this shining example of our tax dollars at waste

This is not the first case this particular FAA inspector has lost. He works out of the Scottsdale FSDO. This federal employee (with way too much power) was a former police officer who has never held an aviation certificate of any kind.

REPEAT: never held an aviation certificate of any kind.

Yet herevokedthe charter certificate license of an air ambulance company for a period of 14 months before the case could finally be resolved.

The company, based in Punta Gordo, FL, had been in operation for 20+ years without a violation. The company was in good standing with their local FSDO and inspector.

If you are not in aviation, you may miss some of the technical nuances in his testimony.

Note:

1. He has never had ANY FAA certificate of any kind. Not a pilot, mechanic or repair station certificate.

2. He has never been a licensed FAA mechanic but yet he is an inspector of FAA mechanics and a maintenance supervisor for 135 certificate holders.

3. He does not bring any of the documents to the deposition he was ordered to bring.

4. He did not read any of the regulations he cited as grounds for issuing an emergency revocation of the certificate.

5. He has no idea how many hours the airplane has flown, its total time or how many hours it flew since last inspection.

6. Note gum chewing

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W_42CGdgrw

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF7XRmlqvT0

mail

PO Box 291

New Hudson, Mi 48165-0291

248-763-9909

Unquote

Last edited:
On the other hand, it's amazing how some of these stories get started.

In our internet filled world there is all these myths and horror stories repeated and to the unsuspecting will tend to believe them. I suspect most of these stories are like a fish tale, the fish get's bigger each time it's told and someone will read a version on the 'net that is nowhere near what really happened.
I heard an inspector tried to hang a student from a tomahawk's T-Tail. It was only the small engine in the front that saved the poor student.

Edit: Yes, this IS sarcasm.

Last edited:
Now here is something that makes you think about the competency of some relatively low level government officials, who wield a lot of power and can put you out of business with little effort on their part...

""
This is not the first case this particular FAA inspector has lost. He works out of the Scottsdale FSDO. This federal employee (with way too much power) was a former police officer who has never held an aviation certificate of any kind.""

That is a first for me, I thought you must hold a A&P to be an airworthiness inspector.

""
This is not the first case this particular FAA inspector has lost. He works out of the Scottsdale FSDO. This federal employee (with way too much power) was a former police officer who has never held an aviation certificate of any kind.""

That is a first for me, I thought you must hold a A&P to be an airworthiness inspector.

He's an Avionics Inspector.

Hope this isn't derailing the thread too far...

What about the issue of always keeping a fresh sectional and A/FD in the airplane? Is it an actual requirement or just part of "all aspects" of a flight?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back