How to adjust audio volumes?

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
In planes without voice annunciations, I crank up the headset volume and adjust the radios for comfort. That doesn't seem to work well in planes that do have voice annunciations. For example:

"Cessna 12345, Podunk Tower, traffic 10 o'clock 'TRAFFIC' miles, type is a '10 O CLOCK, LOW'.
"Cessna 'AUTOPILOT', Podunk Tower, make left 360"
"Cessna 12345, Podunk Tower, cleared to land runway 25, number '500'"

What's the general strategy for adjusting radio and headset volumes so that the avionics isn't stomping on ATC?

In planes without voice annunciations, I crank up the headset volume and adjust the radios for comfort. That doesn't seem to work well in planes that do have voice annunciations. For example:

"Cessna 12345, Podunk Tower, traffic 10 o'clock 'TRAFFIC' miles, type is a '10 O CLOCK, LOW'.
"Cessna 'AUTOPILOT', Podunk Tower, make left 360"
"Cessna 12345, Podunk Tower, cleared to land runway 25, number '500'"

What's the general strategy for adjusting radio and headset volumes so that the avionics isn't stomping on ATC?
Turn the radios up so they're audible over the annunciations and turn your headset down for comfort?

Turn the radios up so they're audible over the annunciations and turn your headset down for comfort?
If I did that, would voice alerts be too quiet for me to hear? Will radio calls wake up passengers that turned down their headset volumes in order to nap?

If I did that, would voice alerts be too quiet for me to hear? Will radio calls wake up passengers that turned down their headset volumes in order to nap?
Depends how it’s all wired...I’m betting voice alerts are separate from radio volumes.

Generally speaking, the intercom audio volume will adjust the volumes of the pilot and passenger interaction. The volume knobs on the radios adjust the volume of each individual radio. I rarely touch my headset volume knobs, between the two adjustments you can usually find an acceptable balance between the radio and passengers.

As far as your alerts go, what is generating the alert? The volume on that piece of equipment probably needs some adjusting. If you dig deep enough into things you might find that the alerts have a separate volume control that can be adjusted up and down.

Depending on your intercom or audio panel’s capabilities and how the annunciation alerts inputs are wired, you may be able to have COM override the other inputs (like music and/or intercom muting when COM receives). That’s about all I have for ya.

I know on the STEC the autopilot alert beeps are controlled by a pot on the side of the unit. The GNS480 has different volumes for different things within them including the sexy woman who keeps telling me "five hundred."

The GNS480 has different volumes for different things within them including the sexy woman who keeps telling me "five hundred."
What, exactly, occurs before the sexy woman tells you "five hundred"?

Never mind...I don't think I want to know!:eek:

Back