How to Access the Spin Zone

Re: Spin Zone Permissions Change pending

People are always weird about a great number of things. I got a couple of email about me taking too many of the airports around Chicago for the Conus Challenge and not leaving anything for anyone else. I was like, there are over 4000 airports and I had been to 50 of them!
Geez! I wonder how they feel about Barb and Peter Yee. :rolleyes:

Hrm, its supposed to show up in searches if you're in the SZP group. Checking on that.

Checked - it shows up for Tester - just bear in mind, Spin Zone is still a subforum of Hangar Talk. If you mark Hangar Talk read, you mark SZ read as well.

Well we hardly see Barb posting anymore, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Maybe Barb is out on another adventure. In any case, she may have a life, unlike some of us. :dunno: :D

That is exactly my point. The rep system is a method of self policing, societal feedback if you will and it worked. It is then an easy assumption to make then that the number of bad posts would decrease. That would just be common sense.

Chuck,

Here's an example for you. Recently, one poster flew off the handle and there was nearly an entire page of "Dude, chill out" posts. Those belong in the reputation system. As it is, without that system active, we ended up with all those "chill out" posts and Ron had to step in and warn the folks on that thread.

Frankly, had people been able to vent their frustration directly to the poster via the rep system, the thread would have stayed on track and the normal spirit of this board would have stayed intact for that thread.

Also, the person who caused the most problems with the rep system is long gone.

Bring it back!

Frankly, had people been able to vent their frustration directly to the poster via the rep system, the thread would have stayed on track and the normal spirit of this board would have stayed intact for that thread.
But couldn't we have told the poster to chill out via PM, even without the reputation points?

Chuck,

Here's an example for you. Recently, one poster flew off the handle and there was nearly an entire page of "Dude, chill out" posts. Those belong in the reputation system. As it is, without that system active, we ended up with all those "chill out" posts and Ron had to step in and warn the folks on that thread.

Also, the person who caused the most problems with the rep system is long gone.

Bring it back!
Thanks Kent.

I was going to bring that thread up as a perfect example of how the rep system works. Instead the MC had to intervene, the people that had been trying to let the offender know that type of behavior was not to be tolerated were left to feel they had somehow been the real offenders. All that was happening was, IMHO, no RoC violations by anyone, just some nudging on what the PoA culture expects civil to mean.

That it happened outside of the spin zone is immaterial to this discussion. But I did note that one person showed us who he had on ignore and both of those people on ignore came form non-SZ discussion. So lets be honest that problems exist outside of the SZ as well as inside it.

I am not saying that you, Kent, had made that allegation, but this whole thread has been lamenting SZ as the only problem area of PoA and the participants there as somehow renegade PoA members.

But couldn't we have told the poster to chill out via PM, even without the reputation points?

Theoretically, yes... But we didn't. A public screwup generally demands at least a semi-public scolding. That's what reputation allows.

We had to intervene in threads with the reputation system in place, and we've had to intervene in in threads when reputation was gone. Sometimes we intervene publicly, sometimes privately. Nobody outside of the MC knows how many bad post reports we get or what kind of issues we saw with Reputation outside of those publicly mentioned (and remember, we discourage public discussion of disciplinary issues) - so while I appreciate that some of you feel this is sorely missed, I am unmoved with regard to my personal position. I was a heavy advocate for keeping reputation. It took a lot more than one user's problems to change my mind.

Here's how the MC works with regard to policy changes:
- Someone from the MC proposes it
- We discuss it
- We vote on it
- We implement or do not implement, based on the vote

I will tell you that I will not be proposing bringing back reputation. If someone else does, we'll discuss it.

It's a multi-headed dictatorship! :eek:

:goofy:

We had to intervene in threads with the reputation system in place, and we've had to intervene in in threads when reputation was gone. Sometimes we intervene publicly, sometimes privately. Nobody outside of the MC knows how many bad post reports we get or what kind of issues we saw with Reputation outside of those publicly mentioned (and remember, we discourage public discussion of disciplinary issues) - so while I appreciate that some of you feel this is sorely missed, I am unmoved with regard to my personal position. I was a heavy advocate for keeping reputation. It took a lot more than one user's problems to change my mind.

Here's how the MC works with regard to policy changes:
- Someone from the MC proposes it
- We discuss it
- We vote on it
- We implement or do not implement, based on the vote

I will tell you that I will not be proposing bringing back reputation. If someone else does, we'll discuss it.

That's not quite how I remember it, Chuck. If you recall, I was actually one of the irritating members that fought you (not the MC, but you) on the decision to remove reputation. I'm not trying to bring up bad memories, but you and I were fighting all the time about reputation back in the day.

We all know the user that made the biggest stink over the rep system, and whether or not it's admitted that it was him that brought the end to it, he still wasn't happy because y'all refused to remove the star system too. And then he felt he was being stalked from some other board. It was a mess, and if it hadn't been for his complaints, I don't think the grassroots campaign to remove the system in the first place would have happened.

But, I understand that these discussions go nowhere. The MC is strong willed (look how long the T-Shirt debate went on before it was finally worked out). We all love it here regardless, so y'all're doing something right. Reputation would be nice, but I'm not gonna **** and moan about it, wishing we had it back. That would be old Nick. :D

We all know the user that made the biggest stink over the rep system, and whether or not it's admitted that it was him that brought the end to it, he still wasn't happy because y'all refused to remove the star system too. And then he felt he was being stalked from some other board. It was a mess, and if it hadn't been for his complaints, I don't think the grassroots campaign to remove the system in the first place would have happened.

Actually, Nick, the person who had a problem with the star system (because EVERY thread he started, and they were usually great threads, someone gave one star) and who thought he was being stalked (and hasn't been here in a while of his own accord) is NOT the person who I remember yelling the loudest about reputation.

The person I remember yelling loudest about reputation was the one who gave his three-year-old a gun. :eek:

So maybe there was a bigger problem with rep than I remember, if the first one was complaining too...

Adam, Adam, he's our man, if he can't do it... Jesse can! :rofl:

Just because it occurs doesn't mean it needs to be encouraged. I would've thought that most people here are old enough not to care how popular they are, but I seem to remember people getting pretty competitive about those reputation points, and not just in a kidding way.

True, but that says quite a bit about a person in and of itself. There's a lot to read between the lines if you know the language.

We had to intervene in threads with the reputation system in place, and we've had to intervene in in threads when reputation was gone.

I don't think that the reputation system actually had a controlling/self policing effect either, and I don't think that it was ever intended by the programers to serve as such. The benefit that the reputation system could provide, if it was used properly (big if) is to the new pilot/boardmember in how much weight to give what opinions and statements of "fact". But, since as my favorite kitty said, it turned into a highschool style popularity contest.

But, since as my favorite kitty said, it turned into a highschool style popularity contest.

And that, IMHO, was the problem with the rep system. I, for one, don't miss the p***ing and moaning about who gave whom what reputation. It seems to cause more problems than it's worth... especially with newbies.

In a rare display of voting publicly, count me among those that would not be advocating for a return of the reputation system.

That's two. And I know that at least two other MC members feel similarly. And w/o a simple majority, it's a dead issue. :)

That's two. And I know that at least two other MC members feel similarly. And w/o a simple majority, it's a dead issue. :)
Pure Democracy is a dangerous form of government! :)

If it was a pure democracy all PoA members would be getting a vote instead of the elite MC members. ;)

I KNEW my airline(s) top-tier status was good for something... :rolleyes:

Wow, I missed this for almost a month... and really didn't miss spin zone too much... weird.

Only reason I went looking for it was that I was excited about the possible republican Veep....

Missa

Back