How to Access the Spin Zone

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
In order to gain access to Spin Zone, you must choose to join the "Spin Zone Participant" group. You can choose this group by clicking THIS LINK. Once there, click the "Join Group" option next to "Spin Zone Participant" and then click "Join Group".

This will make Spin Zone an "OPT IN" forum - meaning members who do not actively seek to participate in the Spin Zone will not see those threads in their searches anymore, by default.

Last edited:
Re: Spin Zone Permissions Change pending

This is step 1 in the grand plan of returning the reputation system, right?

Thanks, Chuck!:yes::cheerswine:

This is step 1 in the grand plan of returning the reputation system, right?
No, step one is banning silly questions like this:rofl:!

Thanks, Chuck!:yes::cheerswine:

No, step one is banning silly questions like this:rofl:!
It is not a silly question at all. The MC has repeatedly said they would like to see more self policing of the board especially in SZ. But if you dare to even mention that someone may be out of line the MC will crack down and say that type of post is a personal attack. However, if the reputation system was still in place there would be a way for the members to provide feedback about a person's behavior without it turning into a personal attack.

I seem to remember that the person who complained the most about the rep system was a guy who was the most sociapathic person on the baord and the MC slow responce to dealing with him was the real problem. Not all the other people that let him know via rep that he had 'issues'.

I spoke out for the rep system way back then and I still see it as a plus. It is used on other board that I frequent and works out very well at managing trolls. It seemed that when rep went away here that things really went down hill for while, getting very ugly at times. When the red board also had gotten rid of their rep it got very, very ugly there.

If it does come back, folks like Scott, Rev and William should have extra accepted votes in order to tolerate the extremist views. :D

I thought the reputation system was too much like high school. Who is most popular... :dunno:

It is not a silly question at all. ...
Scott, sorry if I touched a nerve. Chill!:goofy::yes: Didn't you notice the smilie?:dunno:

I thought the reputation system was too much like high school. Who is most popular... :dunno:
I thought that was the "friends" portion of the new software!:goofy:

There is currently no consideration being made towards bringing reputation back.

We don't like things that cause us more work, after all. :)

There is currently no consideration being made towards bringing reputation back.

We don't like things that cause us more work, after all. :)
My argument is that by NOT having it you have more work.

The MC now has to answer far more bad posts than they would if we had a reputation system.

I know you have had and are still having issues where people take issue with the post and hit the bad post even though the post itself did not warrant action as it did not have a RoC violation.

Furthermore, there types of posts that the MC has spoken out against. This is a style issue and is again not a RoC issue.

We have two choices under the current system. That is to increase the amount of detail in the RoC, which would result in a legal type of list. That is something I do not favor. Or have an appearance of arbitrary decisions being made by the MC without any apparent rhyme or reason. The later is something that I am aware of the MC being charged with as of late.

Whether there is merit in those accusation or not is not the topic of this post. But I would say that the whole situation of getting the MC invovled in the first place would have been avoided completely had a system been in place that allowed user feedback directly to the poster.

A reputation system allows for that feedback, allows for those that continue to display anti-social group tendancies to know who the PoA members think of their actions, and if they desire to take corrective actions on their part. Only the truly sociopathic would continue to not heed their peers. That was the case in the past and having or not haivng a reputation system would make no difference to them. So the MC had to become involved any ways.

I thought that was the "friends" portion of the new software!:goofy:
LOL. That is more like MySpace or Facebook which they didn't have when I went to high school back in the dark ages. :D

Wow, what a lively discussion! Didn't intend for it to go that way, although if it causes even one extra second of consideration for bringing it back? Way worth it :D

If there was a reputation approval-type system, it might be good if the number of votes one was allowed were maximized during a given period of time. Such as, no more than five votes during a thirty-day period. That would eliminate someone going gang busters on trying to hurt a select few people. Also, each member could vote on another person only once, no more. There could not be repetitive votes on the same member. Likewise, a person could not receive more than five votes in a thirty-day period.

Just ideas to make it more.... "fair"? And, honest.

If there was a reputation approval-type system, it might be good if the number of votes one was allowed were maximized during a given period of time. Such as, no more than five votes during a thirty-day period. That would eliminate someone going gang busters on trying to hurt a select few people. Also, each member could vote on another person only once, no more. There could not be repetitive votes on the same member. Likewise, a person could not receive more than five votes in a thirty-day period.

Just ideas to make it more.... "fair"? And, honest.
There was that type of system in the old version. If you gave a person feedback you could not give them anymore feedback, positive or negative, until you gave so much feedback to other people. But like anything there were people who did try and abuse it. I just do not think it is right to allow a very small minority, who were problems, to be the ones who would ruin a feature that others were using. The MC pulled the whole system out because of the problem children. Those people were going to be problems whether or not the rep system was there are not. It really did not save the MC from any work in having to deal with them IMHO.

Last edited:

There was that type of system in the old version. If you gave a person feedback you could not give them anymore feedback, positive or negative, until you gave so much feedback to other people. But like anything there were people who did try and abuse it.
Nawww... one vote and one vote only for or against a person. Or rather, it should be implied against their quality of posts.

Anything else would be akin to buying negative political advertising until you run out of funds.

There was that type of system in the old version. If you gave a person feedback you could not give them anymore feedback, positive or negative, until you gave so much feedback to other people. But like anything there were people who did try and abuse it. I just do not think it is right to allow a very small minority, who were problems, to be the ones who would ruin a feature that others were using. The MC pulled the whole system out because of the problem children. Those people were going to be problems whether or not the rep system was there are not. It really did not save the MC from any work in having to deal with them IMHO.

I actually don't remember much abuse, honestly. I do, however, remember the backstab heard 'round the world (sort of), when I actually gave negative feedback to someone who was of the same opinion as me on most things. He turned around and publicly blamed the "Bleeding Democrats." When I came out as the feedbacker, it was like a "Whawha what??"

LOL. We should bring it back, it was fun, and a good way to encourage smart posting.

Nawww... one vote and one vote only for or against a person. Or rather, it should be implied against their quality of posts.

Anything else would be akin to buying negative political advertising until you run out of funds.
I wold not like that. There are times when someone gets a little out of line and a vote against is a way of letting them know. If they turn around their behavior then they should be able to a get a vote for to cancel out the negative vote.

I wold not like that. There are times when someone gets a little out of line and a vote against is a way of letting them know. If they turn around their behavior then they should be able to a get a vote for to cancel out the negative vote.
Ahhh.... Okay, I see your issue. A vote can be reversed. But, another for or against may not be added.

I'm thinking it's a more honest and realistic review if a volume of negative or positive votes from the community and not just a few who participate in the system.

Ahhh.... Okay, I see your issue. A vote can be reversed. But, another for or against may not be added.
Not so much as a reverse of a vote was what I wrote. But I see that idea you mentioned has some merit. I wonder if the vBuliten software would allow it?

Scott,

I'm reasonably certain that you do not actually have any information on how many bad post reports we dealt with then nor do now, so I gently submit that your speculation is just that - speculation.

Regards,

G

Personally, I liked the reputation system. It helped keep me in check during my earlier days :)

Scott,

I'm reasonably certain that you do not actually have any information on how many bad post reports we dealt with then nor do now, so I gently submit that your speculation is just that - speculation.

Regards,

G

Would you care to give out some figures on it Chuck? I suspect he's right, as y'all have mentioned it more since the removal of the system than before....

No, we are not going to give out figures. We do not discuss disciplinary actions with anyone but the person directly involved.

I actually don't remember much abuse, honestly. I do, however, remember the backstab heard 'round the world (sort of), when I actually gave negative feedback to someone who was of the same opinion as me on most things. He turned around and publicly blamed the "Bleeding Democrats." When I came out as the feedbacker, it was like a "Whawha what??"

LOL. We should bring it back, it was fun, and a good way to encourage smart posting.
I think I remember that happening.

The only other controversy I can recall besides a few time reputation comments became a public issue was about reputation anonymity. You could leave a comment but the person receiving it would not know who it was from. Some people did put their names in the comment but it was purely voluntary.

The only time the MC part of the boards was inadvertently made public I did not take the time to look up what they had discussed on reputation. I was more busy looking up other things. So I really do not know what their detailed concerns were and what they were dealing with.

Personally, I liked the reputation system. It helped keep me in check during my earlier days :)

Me too! And others too! IIRC, one person freaked so badly about the system that it started a massive roll against it and it was removed....

And I'm pretty sure he's not here anymore....

Hey, can I give 1 star to a Mod thread ;)

:rofl:

A vote from true understanding of the importance of such a system.

So Jesse... have ya started writing the code, yet? :D

Scott,

Regards,

G
I am going by what y'all say in your MC posts and what I glean through other sources.

Me too! And others too! IIRC, one person freaked so badly about the system that it started a massive roll against it and it was removed....

And I'm pretty sure he's not here anymore....

Hey, can I give 1 star to a Mod thread ;)
I think he freaked about just about everything anyway. Nice guy though.

Me too! And others too! IIRC,
That is exactly my point. The rep system is a method of self policing, societal feedback if you will and it worked. It is then an easy assumption to make then that the number of bad posts would decrease. That would just be common sense.

No, we are not going to give out figures. We do not discuss disciplinary actions with anyone but the person directly involved.
I don't Nick is asking for a report on who got the bad posts but just on the numbers of bad posts and how many were actually deemed to be RoC violations. That would not give any information about disciplinary actions.

You could then take those number and plot them as a normalized number per the number of PoA users and come up with a metric showing if in fact the number of bad posts had increased or decrease with the demise of reputation.

I don't think I was here when the old reputation system was in place (or if it was, I didn't know about it) so I'm not aware of what transpired with it. But it seems to me that if it's implemented appropriately, the only posters who are going to have a problem with it are the ones who get a bad reputation. And, assuming the pool of people assigning the rep points is big enough (and I think it is), they'll probably only get that bad rep because they actually deserve it.

Long story short, it's a "market" kinda sorta solution: You combine enough people's input about their general take on a person's posting behavior, and that collective opinion ain't gonna be wrong. Any personal beefs or political pettiness in the rep system get washed out.

It is not a silly question at all. The MC has repeatedly said they would like to see more self policing of the board especially in SZ. But if you dare to even mention that someone may be out of line the MC will crack down and say that type of post is a personal attack. However, if the reputation system was still in place there would be a way for the members to provide feedback about a person's behavior without it turning into a personal attack.

Uhhh... Scott said something that makes real sense... I think I need some booze.....:cheerswine:

At 11:30 AM EST, Spin Zone will vanish.

In order to regain access to Spin Zone, you must choose to join the "Spin Zone Participant" group. You can choose this group by clicking THIS LINK. Once there, click the "Join Group" option next to "Spin Zone Participant" and then click "Join Group".

This will make Spin Zone an "OPT IN" forum - meaning members who do not actively seek to participate in the Spin Zone will not see those threads in their searches anymore, by default.
I like the way you have made it work. With Spin Zone still on ignore, I joined the Spin Zone group. Spin Zone threads don't show up in my New Posts, but I can go there specifically to read SZ when the impulse strikes me.

Thanks. This ought to be a big help for newcomers.

There may be a bit of that, but then, where/when does that ever change anywhere else in life...:dunno::dunno::dunno:

There may be a bit of that, but then, where/when does that ever change anywhere else in life...:dunno::dunno::dunno:
Just because it occurs doesn't mean it needs to be encouraged. I would've thought that most people here are old enough not to care how popular they are, but I seem to remember people getting pretty competitive about those reputation points, and not just in a kidding way.

Just because it occurs doesn't mean it needs to be encouraged. I would've thought that most people here are old enough not to care how popular they are, but I seem to remember people getting pretty competitive about those reputation points, and not just in a kidding way.
People are always weird about a great number of things. I got a couple of email about me taking too many of the airports around Chicago for the Conus Challenge and not leaving anything for anyone else. I was like, there are over 4000 airports and I had been to 50 of them!

People are always weird about a great number of things. I got a couple of email about me taking too many of the airports around Chicago for the Conus Challenge and not leaving anything for anyone else. I was like, there are over 4000 airports and I had been to 50 of them!
Scott, you're so evil! You took all the airport claims???? You evil meanie!

:goofy:

Back