How thoroughly do you clean your grill?

How do you usually clean it?

• Pull it out and wash it in the sink with soap- we're gonna eat off that!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I cover the rack with aluminum foil, shiny side to the rack, and turn on high for 10-15 minutes. You might want to check at 5 minutes as your grill may get hot enough to melt the foil. Mine does not. After that a wad of foil, never a wire brush.

as an aside, aluminum foil suppliers will tell people that the shiny side is exactly the same as the other side.

as an aside, aluminum foil suppliers will tell people that the shiny side is exactly the same as the other side.
They may be and for most practical purposes are, but I’d bet a dollar that the infrared thermal reflectivity of the two are quite different.

They may be and for most practical purposes are, but I’d bet a dollar that the infrared thermal reflectivity of the two are quite different.

watch from 5:30--ish...

watch from 5:30--ish...
I just did, and I’ll double down on the shiny and dull side having a very small but not negligible difference on a grill (open flame), in a dark oven, yes they will be the same, but when presented to a flame the difference in reflection of visible and infrared light waves will have a difference on the heat absorbance/transfer. Shiny side to the flame cooks cooler than shiny side up.

I just did, and I’ll double down on the shiny and dull side having a very small but not negligible difference on a grill (open flame), in a dark oven, yes they will be the same, but when presented to a flame the difference in reflection of visible and infrared light waves will have a difference on the heat absorbance/transfer. Shiny side to the flame cooks cooler than shiny side up.
And keeps more heat on the rack. Hence, for cleaning, shiny side down.

I'm aware of that but I've never found an alternative that really works. The nylon ones are useless. I just look it over before using it, so far I've never seen a wire remaining on the cooking surface. I have found a few deep inside the grill when doing a major cleaning but never on the cooking surface.
I mentioned the wire brush issue to my wife a couple of grills ago and she found a small wooden paddle specifically designed for "grate scraping" and voila! Problem solved. That thing is perfect for knocking off the chunks that the fire did not incinerate.

I just let the rats gnaw off whatever is left on the grill after using it.

They do a pretty good job.!!
Great way to cut down on too many visitors hanging around for a burger or steak too :lol:

Can someone summarize in twenty words or less what the bottom line conclusion is?
If I understand what I'm reading it's saying there's no real difference between the dull side and shiny side of the aluminum foil as far as reflecting heat.

Can someone summarize in twenty words or less what the bottom line conclusion is?
"All in all, bright and matte sides of a household aluminum foil have the same total reflectivity spectra. The matte one being, by a small amount – about 2% – more reflective than its bright counterpart."

Hm, that's 34 words. So I guess the answer to your question is "no".

If I understand what I'm reading it's saying there's no real difference between the dull side and shiny side of the aluminum foil as far as reflecting heat.
That works. Thanks.

Back