How they got Cessna super skymasters to vietnam

fudge80

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
fudge80
Ran across this story on another forum so sorry if its been posted here before, I searched but didn't see it. Was a fun read, I'll C&P the start here but it was too long to copy and paste the whole thing. If you want to finish reading it just click the link. I love some of these crazy things that have happened in the aviation world.

How The O-2s Really Got There

by Richard H. Wood, Colonel, USAF (Ret)

It's 1967 or maybe early 1968, I forget, and the Air Force has bought a mess of Cessna Super Skymasters and called them O-2s. The Cessna factory at Wichita, Kansas is pumping them out at a pretty good clip and your problem is to figure out how to get them to Vietnam where they are needed. Your choices are:

1. Fly them to the West coast and turn them over to the Army for transport by cargo ship.

2. Take the wings off them and stuff them three at a time into the belly of C-124s and fly them over.

3. Fly them over under their own power with no C-124 attached.

Question: Which method was used? Right! Every single one of those puppies was hand-flown across the Big P to Vietnam. That sounds like it might have been a Mickey Mouse operation. Believe me, it wasn't that good.

Click on the link for the rest of the story, I tried to copy and paste it but there is 10,000 character limit on posts so just click here, its not really that long but over the limit evidently

http://www.nightrustics.org/Delivery.htm

Oh my god...

"...but the rest of them were the most god-awful collection of unqualified scruffy-looking alcoholics you ever saw. The dregs of the flying profession."

"After several hours of martinis, the pilot was trying to trim using the mic switch."

For a while there I thought he was writing about me!

I have read that story before, but I still find it entertaining. I bet it was not a fun trip to make in the O-2....

I had a great uncle that was lost at sea delivering a B-24 from Hawaii to California in 1947. I don't know any details but I wish I did.

What a hilarious story! When does the movie come out?

If you weren't deaf before the trip to Vietnam, the ride over in the SkyThrasher probably did the job. :)

Having served in the USAF, I totally believe this story. SNAFU comes to mind...

That's friggin' hilarious. Cool story.

I can totally believe this story. As in all outfits, the capability of the personnel is in an inverse relationship to the priority of the program. Getting Sky Smashers to Vietnam probably ranked just above new belt buckle design.

Cheers

I thought SNAFU was Air Force, and FUBAR was Navy?

I can totally believe this story. As in all outfits, the capability of the personnel is in an inverse relationship to the priority of the program. Getting Sky Smashers to Vietnam probably ranked just above new belt buckle design.

Cheers

Your example is a direct relationship: you say low priority and they used low quality pilots. Soooo... if they had used the best pilots, or if the O-2s were desperately needed, then your explanation would work. :D

I thought SNAFU was Air Force, and FUBAR was Navy?

I think both are universal in services. In the Army we actually used FUBAR for an aviation code word in one unit I was in.

Back