How old is to old

Brad schneider

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I’m considering a career change at 53 years old. Is 53 too old to get into the commercial pilot business? I’m currently hold a private pilot certificate with 250 hours or so. I know I have a long way to go to be marketable in the industry. The majors would be ideal but with only 10 ish good flying years left. I wouldn’t expect them to run in my direction. Maybe regionals or cargo. Just floating thoughts out there and wondering what team PA has to say.

Thanks in advance

1500 hrs and a pulse for regional airlines. 1000 hrs and a pulse will get you into a 135 charter operation. I don’t think you’ll be too old. We just hire some dude that is 100% white haired. Im guessing 60.

1500 hrs and a pulse for regional airlines. 1000 hrs and a pulse will get you into a 135 charter operation. I don’t think you’ll be too old. We just hire some dude that is 100% white haired. Im guessing 60.

who’s ’we’? :)

I don't think 1000hrs will get you much in a 135, unless its small stuff.

I am 52, just under 1000hrs. I am tailwheel, seaplane, commercial, and multi engine. Insurance company wants me to have a babysitter pilot in the Caravan for 200 to 250 hours. I have been to Caravan initial at Flight Safety. Insurance company wants to see turbine time, and more hours in general. Now that I actually have a flying job, I am NOT accumulating hours very fast.
I am off to the Bahamas for the next 6 weeks where I will fly with a babysitter pilot, 2 to 4 days a week I am told. We, meaning me, the boss, and the chief pilot are hoping to convince the insurance company that I am good to go with somewhere less than 200hrs.

I’m considering a career change at 53 years old. Is 53 too old to get into the commercial pilot business? I’m currently hold a private pilot certificate with 250 hours or so. I know I have a long way to go to be marketable in the industry. The majors would be ideal but with only 10 ish good flying years left. I wouldn’t expect them to run in my direction. Maybe regionals or cargo. Just floating thoughts out there and wondering what team PA has to say.

Thanks in advance
If you don't mind retiring as a regional captain, you've certainly able to have a career. You'll need to be aggressive to get your certificates and ratings and then put in your time instructing. Regionals like older pilots because they know they won't loose them to the majors in a couple years.

You’re not getting younger ,go for it. Get aggressive on getting your ratings. Part 135 can always use some older pilots.

At the Fractional I work at we do hire pilots in their 50's who only have 1000 hours. While age isn't a factor the question will be how fast you can get your hours.

Thanks in advance

I don’t know what career you are in, but your mid 50s represent to top earnings of your life. If you change to aviation, you will take a substantial (think poverty) cut in wages building time as a CFI and you are looking at $30,000 to complete the commercial, CFI and multi training.

You also have to evaluate your health because while you are bullet proof today things start changing as you near 60.

With that said, it’s do able.

If you don't mind retiring as a regional captain,....

53 is not too old, but it does raise questions you need to think about.

Retirement is always a consideration in these career-change situations, or should be. What retirement benefits might you give up when leaving your present situation, and what retirement benefits can you acrue during an abbreviated second career? Keep in mind that a medical issue can end an aviation career in a heartbeat (pun intended), and medical issuses are more likely as we age.

IOW, if you get grounded 5 years into your new career, will retirement be possible? Or will you be greeting people at WalMart for the rest of your life?

You bring up some valid concerns. I will do some soul searching and decide what makes the most sense for me and my future .I’m going to press forward and get my ratings and postion myself to make the change whenever that maybe.

I recommend reading through the medical forum on this board to see a sampling of issues others have had and how long the process (dr then testing then dr again then more tests then it all goes to the faa) took.

Can you hold on to the current job & still move forward? You’d likely want a bit of a ‘fast track’ to get the hours & possibly more ratings.

If you could hold what you have, while racking up flight time, no need to decide right now. At some point it may take some faith to make the jump.

I’m thinking along the same line as sourdough. Bust out as much time and ratings as I can and see if it feels right to jump ship.

53 years old isn't too old. The goal might look a little different with an 8-10 years professional career timeline but there are still flying opportunities past age 65 if you look for them (and actually want to keep flying at that age.)

If I had to go by my experience advising folks in this situation and watching the outcomes, it's more about your mental outlook. Your enthusiasm will wane at times and as an almost-50 guy myself, I know my stamina isn't what it was in my 20s. This is a difficult career to break into, even considering how the modern era has greased the skids thanks to the current high demand for pilots. Just be realistic about what you can expect from yourself in the next 2+ years, assuming you'll be accelerating through the various required certificates and ratings, and into opportunities to build experience, usually as a flight instructor. You have to make steady, consistent progress and put this career change on the top of your priority list. When it falls out of the #1 slot, it tends never to return.

The question isn't whether it "can" be done, it's whether you're willing to do what it takes to be done.

Good luck,

It depends on what your flying career goal is. Remember, there is a max 65 age limit for Part 121. If you are 53 and fly 100 hours per year, you will be over 65 before you hit 65.

But there are other jobs that do not have an age limit. But, like any career change, look at the options and map out a path to your goal.

I knew a couple folks that flew 135 well into their 70s.

I knew one guy that was still flying bush Alaska at 75, marking 50 years of bush flying.

I'm about to turn 59 and I fly part 135 in Alaska. Quit a 15 year engineering job at Boeing to do it.

Happier than a pig in s***. No regrets.

A slow death in a cube farm can't hold a candle to doing a very physical job, being outside and doing something that matters to people.
1000001075-01.jpeg

Thanks in advance

I have been thinking about this myself a lot lately. I am 47 now and just got my 3rd class medical. I am on special issuance for another year. Wasn't sure if I could even get my 1st and was hesitant to get my AME's opinion (thought he'd laugh and think I am going crazy) but he thought I should go for it. I have a few things to sort out before I could do the leap of faith and switch careers. I would be 48 before I know I can go for it. For now, I am just going after my IFR training and doing well. I wish you the best of luck and hope this works out for you.

I had a conversation with a woman at our flight training facility last week about this topic. She was a pilot for a regional airline 20 years ago, but has not flown since. She is 50, and recently divorced. She wonders if it makes sense to get current again after such a long layoff, and whether she would be able to find work as a pilot. I encouraged her to go for it.

53 years old isn't too old.

The question isn't whether it "can" be done, it's whether you're willing to do what it takes to be done.

Good luck,

This is the most relevant observation on this topic. It really is up to the OP to make it happen...and I agree with others that it could happen. Heck, I was able to make it happen...so anyone can. Just need to be willing and determined.

So, OP....what about it?

I have a podcast I produce on this very topic of second careers in aviation. Though the guests I have currently aren’t the same age, a few have talked about “older” peers and classmates.

I think the medical and retirement questions others have posed would be the biggest considerations.

The biggest take away I’ve gotten from my guests is that it’s going to take you a combination of sacrifice, hard work, discipline, and some solid networking. It is totally doable though.

If you are so inclined, the podcast is called Fly the Transition, it can be found on Spotify, Apple, and most other podcast services.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 66. I had to pause my flight training because of health issues. Still hoping to get better enough to resume. Other people my age vary from being quick, fit, and optimal to unfit, slow, and not able to handle it.

After a certain age, it’s all up to the individual. There is no cutoff age based solely on age.

I am 46 and planning my midlife crisis. I start Commercial training next Monday followed by Multi. I have 1050 hours.
I am evaluating the option of exiting my mid life crisis as a professional pilot of some sort. The poverty years are what I am mostly evaluating.
Seems if you can get through those, the benefit on the other side is nice. Not committed but positioning myself to be able to commit in the near future.

I am 46 and planning my midlife crisis. I start Commercial training next Monday followed by Multi. I have 1050 hours.
I am evaluating the option of exiting my mid life crisis as a professional pilot of some sort. The poverty years are what I am mostly evaluating.
Seems if you can get through those, the benefit on the other side is nice. Not committed but positioning myself to be able to commit in the near future.

Bro, full send it! 1000 hours and wet multi is perfect to go right seat in a 135 operation. My current company (local to central TX only) would hire you with those mins. I think starting pay is around $45k. 1-2 yrs later you will be making $100k as PIC. Then the sky is the limit, and you shouldn’t have to slug it out in the regionals if you don’t want to.

Last edited:
Bro, full send it! 1000 hours and wet multi is perfect to go right seat in a 135 operation. My current company (local to central TX only) would hire you with those mins. I think starting pay is around $45k. 1-2 yrs later you will be making $100k. Then the sky is the limit, and you shouldn’t have to slug it out in the regionals if you don’t want to.

I already have the comm multi, can I go straight to the 100k? not asking for a friend...

Odd way to celebrate a midlife crisis.

A proper midlife crisis is supposed to involve a new Corvette and a 20-something blonde and should deplete your life savings.

Odd way to celebrate a midlife crisis.

A proper midlife crisis is supposed to involve a new Corvette and a 20-something blonde and should deplete your life savings.

how do u know he hasn't already done that?

There is a lot of good flying that you don't get paid for - I remember a cliche from long ago: "The last time I had fun flying I was paying for it."
Get some real-world face time with guys flying for regionals, find out what their world of work is like. I know some retiring (and recently retired) military pilots and some/most aren't even considering flying for a living.

There is a lot of good flying that you don't get paid for - I remember a cliche from long ago: "The last time I had fun flying I was paying for it."
Get some real-world face time with guys flying for regionals, find out what their world of work is like. I know some retiring (and recently retired) military pilots and some/most aren't even considering flying for a living.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't go to the regionals at 53, but there's a lot of other flying out there he could do that might be fun. Contrary to your cliché, just about every pro pilot I know (and there are quite a few) still actually enjoys flying airplanes, even for work. Just gotta find the right situation. Besides, it wouldn't be a midlife crisis decision if it made sense, right? :D

Back