How often to replace the battery and which battery to get?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
I'm in the process of buying my first airplane. Currently eyeing a Tecnam Astore. It's 6 years old and apparently still has the factory battery. I don't know much about airplanes but I know a lot about cars and I know that you want to replace your car battery about once every 3 years if you want to be able to rely on it. Is that the same here? Am I correct in assuming that both the primary and the backup battery should now be replaced if it's a 6-year-old aircraft with the factory batteries? If so, which battery do you guys recommend? I know with cars there are loads of different options. Is it the same for aircraft? Anywhere online to shop for aircraft batteries?

Thanks in advance!

I may be mistaken but I believe that aircraft is an SLSA which means you will need to replace the battery with what came with it or contact the manufacturer for any other option that they approve.

The battery is (should be) tested as part of the yearly condition inspection although changing them early as a precaution sounds like a wise idea to me.

I may be mistaken but I believe that aircraft is an SLSA which means you will need to replace the battery with what came with it or contact the manufacturer for any other option that they approve.

The battery is (should be) tested as part of the yearly condition inspection although changing them early as a precaution sounds like a wise idea to me.

Agree with the above. You're more likely than not looking at a battery in the next year or so.

I don't know much about airplanes but I know a lot about cars and I know that you want to replace your car battery about once every 3 years if you want to be able to rely on it.
While having a good understanding of cars helps, I think you'll find aircraft, regardless the type, are their own unique machine. As such, I would learn the aircraft side 1st then apply your vehicle knowledge to the subject. For example, there's no reason a properly cared for battery with a functional electrical system shouldn't last you a number of years with no problems in an airplane.

However, as mentioned above, you may want to read up on what you can do to the different types aircraft you've been looking at. There is a difference in how you maintain a type certificated aircraft vs a E/AB aircraft vs a S-LSA aircraft vs an E-LSA aircraft. The devil is in the details.

there's no reason a properly cared for battery with a functional electrical system shouldn't last you a number of years with no problems in an airplane.

During the yearly condition inspection a load test of the battery should be done and that goes a long way to determine the health of the battery. Just today I was nearly certain that one of my automobiles needed a battery so I pulled it out and took it to the local automotive store to get a new one but asked them to check it first. I was surprised to learn that at four years old it was still in great shape and just a little discharged. Replacing the cables fixed the slow start problem. So the age of the battery won't really tell you much about the condition of the battery. Load test it and see how it does.

My aircraft is experimental and it is electrically dependent. As such I replace the battery every two to three years and use only Odyssey batteries.

Check out EarthX... they are working on STCs for certified and already popular in the experimental world. 4lb batter is very appealing!

The OEM battery in my F-150 went 9 (yes, nine) years before dying. You just never know...

The OEM battery in my F-150 went 9 (yes, nine) years before dying. You just never know...

That will NEVER happen in snow country! :( But when I lived in warmer climates,lead-acid batteries had much longer life.

I'm in the process of buying my first airplane. Currently eyeing a Tecnam Astore. It's 6 years old and apparently still has the factory battery. I don't know much about airplanes but I know a lot about cars and I know that you want to replace your car battery about once every 3 years if you want to be able to rely on it. Is that the same here? Am I correct in assuming that both the primary and the backup battery should now be replaced if it's a 6-year-old aircraft with the factory batteries? If so, which battery do you guys recommend? I know with cars there are loads of different options. Is it the same for aircraft? Anywhere online to shop for aircraft batteries?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what the battery requirements are for the Tecnam, but for typical GA aircraft that use lead-acid batteries, an approved AGM battery (e.g. Concorde) is lower maintenance and has lower self-discharge characteristics than flooded cell batteries. I'll never go back to flooded cell batteries. I usually get about 5-7 years out of a Concorde AGM battery, and that is in a cold winter climate. The one thing AGM batteries will not tolerate is prolonged full discharge. If you leave your master on and run your battery flat, and don't properly recharge it within 24-48 hours, it will likely be irreversibly sulfated. (Flooded cell batteries are a little more resilient toward full discharge, but I don't regard that as a compelling selling point.)

While having a good understanding of cars helps, I think you'll find aircraft, regardless the type, are their own unique machine. As such, I would learn the aircraft side 1st then apply your vehicle knowledge to the subject. For example, there's no reason a properly cared for battery with a functional electrical system shouldn't last you a number of years with no problems in an airplane.

However, as mentioned above, you may want to read up on what you can do to the different types aircraft you've been looking at. There is a difference in how you maintain a type certificated aircraft vs a E/AB aircraft vs a S-LSA aircraft vs an E-LSA aircraft. The devil is in the details.
:yeahthat: Bell knows of which he speaks. Do **NOT** take some self-professed "expert's" advice on how long your battery should last. And I take exception to the person who said a load test of the battery is required on a condition inspection. A good idea? Debateable. Required? Not.

Thanks,

Jim

And I take exception to the person who said a load test of the battery is required on a condition inspection. A good idea? Debateable. Required? Not.

I'm guessing that I'm the person that you are taking exception to. RIF ... I never said it was required but I do believe it should be done, especially when there is any doubt about the health of the battery.

Check your POH ,it may have replacement times ,or give you minimum amps during a load test.

I'm guessing that I'm the person that you are taking exception to. RIF ... I never said it was required but I do believe it should be done, especially when there is any doubt about the health of the battery.
And your credentials for believing this? A&P for 40 years? IA for thirty? And any other reputable sources? If not, and you have nothing other than a personal opinion, like the man said when he fell into the septic tank, "keep your mouth shut".

Jim

If not, and you have nothing other than a personal opinion, like the man said when he fell into the septic tank, "keep your mouth shut".

You missed the point. I did not say "required" and you stated that I did. Your bad. No need to get nasty about it ... :rolleyes:

Back