how often do you fly

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
I am starting my IFR next weekend and I am trying to figure out how often i should fly. I think I can afford once a week. How often did you fly to get your ticket?

When I was doing my initial IFR, 2-3 times a week, and by fly I mean flying a plane or siming it. I had two CFIIs one with like 40 years instruction/IFR/IMC experience and my other guy was a furloughed airline guy.

IFR isn't a place for a no real world IMC CFII.

Know when to use the aircraft, know when to use the sim, know the value of IMC and IOAT.

The more per week you can train, the faster it gets done (fewer lessons) and the less money. Especially in the early stage as you get your scan and stable fly by reference figured out.

If it's a money thing, hold off a bit and work to save up the training fund. Then go like gangbusters while you refill the money bucket as you go.

When i got my PPL i had 4k saved but that was 15 years ago and i had nothing else to spend money on, now I have a daughter, house ect.... LOL

As a CFII if you can fly at least two lessons a week you'll save money in the long run. A lesson one day then a week or even less before you get back to flying ends up repeating part or even most of the previous lesson. So the more often you fly leads to quicker progression. As mentioned above, if you can't fly as often then saving up first is sound advice. Good luck.

Last edited:
I trained daily for 8 to 10 hours a day for 10 days(flying, sim, ground). Was very hard but got it done. Even squeaked in 6 hours of actual during training as well as a stage check in actual. Was very hard but a lot of fun. Would I do it again that way...Um...not sure. hahaha

I did mine in a month before I went to college. I tried to fly twice a day and do a sim session a day. Usually during lunch my instructor would go through the instrument oral guide with me. I read the instrument flying handbook and instrument procedures handbook before I took the written, used the king videos for the written and took the written before I started flying.

Fly as much as you can. I flew/used the sim 2-3 times a week. Due to a mix of weather and me being a dumb and procrastinating 18 year old it took me about 6 months to finish. I would wait a little longer until you have the funds for at least twice a week. Instrument flying is tough to do only once a week.

2-3 times a week. I did most of my IR at night since primary students did not generally use rental aircraft at night, it was smooth at night, and I think I got a lot more "flight by reference to instruments" at night.

I was training 2-3x a week toward my IR but then work got super busy and travel overseas came up this month. So I just focused on passing the written exam this month which I accomplished and using my Redbird Jay flight simulator in between. I am considering taking 2-3 weeks off work this year to get it done. Found a good CFII who can do this with me locally here in San Diego. Probably will do this route as my current CFII cannot train late afternoons or weekends and that is my only free time to train outside of work right now this year. Anyways since I have about 15 hours of IFR time done, it should work out to finish in 2-3 weeks off work just flying and studying.

Scott

I tried for 2x a week. Half or more ended up being at night due to work but it actually worked out better since that's the flying I love to do.

When I was doing my IFR training I flew 4 to 5 times per week.

After I got my PPL I continued training to get my IFR. Logbook says about 2x week IFR training with more x as the checkride approached.

Don't forget to use a safety pilot after you get a little bit of training in (and your CFII approves). Not sure what instructor rates are in your area but for me, splitting cost with another pilot doing a xc with me under the hood and knowing I didn't have to pay the guy in the right seat $50/hr made it a little more affordable.

I tried doing my instrument rating a couple years ago at (1) one hour lesson ever two weeks. I don't recommend it. I won't pick it up again until I know I can afford the time and money for at least twice a week.

I've owned since I started and I fly as much as I can. I hope for 2-3x per week when I start the IR.

I would have preferred 2-3 times per week, but the schedule usually limited it to once, on weekends.

Took 7 months, but it got done.

Like most people here I TRY to fly at least 2-3 times a week. Most flights are either at night or on the weekend. I try to do a longer cross country once a week to keep the engine in check.

Used to fly 4-5 times for my IFR and PPL.

I did 2-3x/week. If you do once a week, it will take longer and cost more.

But with a family, if once a week is all you can realistically do anyway, then that is what it is.

When I was working on my instrument rating I flew 2-4 times a week. The more often you fly the fresher it stays in your head and thus the easier it will be to complete it quicker and less expensive

Thanks for all the advice, I plan on putting it on hold and just study for the written while i save up a few more bucks.

Hi Superdad.

Good luck. I flew about once a week and kept my head in the books between flights. Worked okay for me.

Thanks for all the advice, I plan on putting it on hold and just study for the written while i save up a few more bucks.
Also keep in mind that while I tried to fly 2-3 times a week, on average I was only flying 1-2 due to weather, maintanence, scheduling issues, etc. If you go for 2-3, realistically plan on flying 1-2

I did mine 1-3 times a week over the course of a semester of college. It wasn't a part of my school curriculum and the airport was 45 minutes away, but I got done.

Tip. Your instruction goes by a syllabus. Understand and fly the lesson on your home computer before you fly the lesson with an instructor, you'll save lots of green that way.

If you can do at least one X a week that is good. Aim for 2 X a week. I aimed for one every week, but ended up with less than one every month.. eventually down to once every 2 months. Busted.

Back