How NOT to light a bon-fire

That has to be the epitome of "stupid." About four ounces of gas would have gotten it started not to mention it looked like dead timber.

Look for these morons in future lists of Darwin Award winners. :rolleyes:

Gosh, it looks like alcohol might have been in involved. What a surprise.

C'mon guys. We all were on the same track heading towards that...it's how we grew up. Being a male is sometimes dangerous to your health.

i didnt watch the video but a mix of gas and oil or gas and diesel works well. the gas gets it started, the oil/diesel keeps it going. i have an uncle who once had a "sunburn" on his face with an outline of his hand over it from using the gas/diesel method, perhaps a little overdone. i always thought that blowing things up was fun???

Reminds me of a time as a kid where we....

Let's just say it involves camping, wet firewood, a camp fireplace, gasoline, and a singed flag that was near the top of a nearby tree.... and leave it at that.

Here is a fire of a different effect.

Attachments

• reportin.wmv
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Reminds me of a time as a kid where we....

Let's just say it involves camping, wet firewood, a camp fireplace, gasoline, and a singed flag that was near the top of a nearby tree.... and leave it at that.

Or at an ROTC training event at Ft. Lewis (a looooong time ago) where the preferred way of starting a fire with wet wood involved a white phosphorous trip flare? Those things sure work well. :D

C'mon guys. We all were on the same track heading towards that...it's how we grew up. Being a male is sometimes dangerous to your health.

Apparently you didn't run around with some of the women I knew in high school! :D They could put the guys to shame on some of the stunts I witnessed. Notice I said witnessed...not participated in. Not me! :no: :D

Or at an ROTC training event at Ft. Lewis (a looooong time ago) where the preferred way of starting a fire with wet wood involved a white phosphorous trip flare? Those things sure work well. :D
Sometimes a little too well. WP not good for the skin or bone. Don't ask how I know....

Apparently you didn't run around with some of the women I knew in high school! :D They could put the guys to shame on some of the stunts I witnessed. Notice I said witnessed...not participated in. Not me! :no: :D
Rule No. 1 of the He-Man Women Haters Club: No Girls!:no:

Although when I was 6 or 7 yrs old I did get a girl involved with setting some spot fires with M-80s in tall grass. Just to watch them burn.

Rule No. 1 of the He-Man Women Haters Club: No Girls!:no:

Although when I was 6 or 7 yrs old I did get a girl involved with setting some spot fires with M-80s in tall grass. Just to watch them burn.

I had a Jeep and loved to go off-roading..so I was able to become an "honorary member" of the he-man club. :D I had a lot of fun showing up the guys on some of those trails.

I also had an uncle (5 years older than me) that talked me into helping him out with a "prank" once (I was 8). It's amazing what you can do with a cut down broom handle (5 pieces about 6 inches long or so)..painted red, dipped in wax, holes drilled in one end with wires sticking out of them into an old wind up clock, taped together in a bundle with electrical tape. Then, strategically placed in his older brothers luggage who was bound for Iran to work for Bell Helicopter. Thank GAWD he checked his luggage before he got to Love field..otherwise I'd probably still have to visit him in prison. Seemed like a funny thing to do at the time. :yes: :rolleyes: :no:

M80's + Estes first-stage Rocket Motors + 1/4" dowels = the best bottle rockets ever.
Delete the dowels and insert the whole mess into a 4' section of 3/4" PVC....that would be us....shooting bazookas at each other from 100-200 yds. I guess they call them RPGs nowadays.

For even coming within spittin distance of a Pinto you deserved what you got.:p
Back in the early 70's I had a friend that worked night clean up at a burger joint that advertised "flame broiled" burgers. We figured out how to tap the propane and would fill 6-8 balloons with it. Tie the bunch together with the M-80 at the bottom, then drive around through the neighborhood at 3-4am with the hatchback of my friends Pinto open. Light the fuse with a cigarette and dump it out the back. We'd get about half a block away and....KABOOM, WOOSH! Pretty spectacular!

Man..is this thread a dangerous thing to let a teenager see or what!?

oh man just saw the video. that is awesome. anytime someone says "aww he'll be fine" you know something good is about to happen. were they talking about the ku klux klan in there as well?

all they really needed was a light breeze to clear out the fumes and it woulda been no big deal.

oh and for a moment before the video loaded i wondered if it was a video of nick et. al lighting the grill at gastons saturday. that was impressive!

Man..is this thread a dangerous thing to let a teenager see or what!?

Oh, they don't need this thread, they can figure it out on their own...

I had to chuckle at a story following this headline in the paper today:

washingtonpost said:
Potato Gun at School Causes Pipe Bomb Scare

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061100877.html

The potato gun was loaded with an apple.

But whoever left the device outside Bel Pre Elementary School in Silver Spring over the weekend apparently picked an overly plump apple or misjudged the strength of the PVC pipe-turned-projectile launcher.

M80's + Estes first-stage Rocket Motors + 1/4" dowels = the best bottle rockets ever.
We took Estes rockets and filled the fuselage with a gasoline-filled baggie in the hopes that the ejection charge would lead to an aerial explosion. Well, as the rocket sat on the launch pad, the gas leaked and the fuse set it on fire. So it was on the pad burning (and thereby losing its aerodynamic qualities) and then the engine fired. It spiraled up about maybe 100 feet and then landed on the roof, flaming like all get-out. We all ran around back, where we could climb up on the roof, and started stomping out the fire. At that point, my friend's mom came running out: "What the hell's going on out here?!?!?!?"

Uh-oh.

We also created a shoulder-resting horizontal launch pad and tried to use the Estes rockets like bazookas. That didn't work too well, either. Particularly if you were selected to hold the launcher.

If you're trying to start a bonfire and you can only get embers... a dash of everclear seems to work quite well to get the flames started...

(I believe that was the only time I've used the phrase "Hey, watch this"...)

We took Estes rockets and filled the fuselage with a gasoline-filled baggie in the hopes that the ejection charge would lead to an aerial explosion. Well, as the rocket sat on the launch pad, the gas leaked and the fuse set it on fire. So it was on the pad burning (and thereby losing its aerodynamic qualities) and then the engine fired. It spiraled up about maybe 100 feet and then landed on the roof, flaming like all get-out. We all ran around back, where we could climb up on the roof, and started stomping out the fire. At that point, my friend's mom came running out: "What the hell's going on out here?!?!?!?"

Uh-oh.

We also created a shoulder-resting horizontal launch pad and tried to use the Estes rockets like bazookas. That didn't work too well, either. Particularly if you were selected to hold the launcher.

We did it over at a campsite at a large lake. It worked. Boy Scout ingenuity.

I recall "camping out" in the sand pits on the other side of the woods behind the house ... and watching the flame travel UP the gasoline and into the jar I was holding in my hand as I poured more gas onto the camp fire. As explosions go, it was muted (thank you, lord) but still memorable 43 years later! :eek:

Tractor batteries make a pretty good explosion when you short them out for too long. Especially when you're trying to get it back into place after partially falling out, then having the positive terminal catch the frame. My ears were ringing forever. When I washed those particular clothes, they came out with big holes all over, I'm assuming that was from the battery acid spraying all over me.

Shoot, that was small time even... At least when I did it, it was the middle of winter and I had a parka and a ski mask on. We had a barn burning party at a friends where we tore down a rotton barn on his parents new place. We dumped 10 gallons of gas on it and I stood at the edge and lit it:D :hairraise: :D

Ahhh yes.. I shouldn't expect anything less from my bro's in Alabama. :D They dun it up riiite! :yes:

Hell they did, they let most of the gas evaporate. Gas should have gone on 3 seconds befor the switches were thrown, and why didnt they use a single fireing switch?

Hell they did, they let most of the gas evaporate. Gas should have gone on 3 seconds befor the switches were thrown, and why didnt they use a single fireing switch?

Lack of fuel wasn't a problem in that puny pile of pine.

Don't know about lack of single firing switch. They were engineering STUDENTS.. they're taught how to make the system as complicated as possible. :D

i could totally see you doing that Chris. nice video Kent!

Lack of fuel wasn't a problem in that puny pile of pine.

They should have thrown on about four tractor tires, all the used oil everyone had, along with 10 gallons of gasoline. Let the gasoline sit for a minute or two before lighting.

It'll make one hell of a BOOM with a cool mushroom like explosion. Burning hot as hell for hours thanks to the tires.

They should have thrown on about four tractor tires, all the used oil everyone had, along with 10 gallons of gasoline. Let the gasoline sit for a minute or two before lighting.

It'll make one hell of a BOOM with a cool mushroom like explosion. Burning hot as hell for hours thanks to the tires.

And you know this, how? :D Sounds like there's a story in there somewhere.

Back