How not to fly an instrument approach to mins

Wondering what the VS was. Certainly doesn’t seem like a “stabilized” approach. Maybe he was doing his best impression of a lawn dart?

Wondering what the VS was. Certainly doesn’t seem like a “stabilized” approach. Maybe he was doing his best impression of a lawn dart?
From what I can tell, it looks like over -1000fpm. You can see the altimeter...
52819959_10213193650464764_7677685956396187648_o.jpg

Looking at video at end...about -1900 fpm.

Appears fully deflected as well up until break out. Think he might be getting fixated on the synthetic vision???
This was posted before I think too.

the thing is....with GPS why would anyone "need" to chase a needle? It's dirt simple to fly to the runway over the course line.....I guess getting the slam dunk is his fault for poor vertical management. But even that is much easier with good situational awareness.

Video says thanks for riding along. No, thank YOU Mr monied twin cessna driver, for showing us how to whip out an RNAV approach like a boss. Who needs descent gradients, not you, because you're a real man of genius. A glass, or perhaps another one judging by that child's rendition of an instrument approach you graced us with. Hey, a win is a win. A toast!
upload_2019-2-26_8-51-36.png

Looks fine to me. He followed the approach plate to a tee.

View attachment 72027

How does one clean coffee of their screen? :D:cool::);) That's awesome

If they had steam gauges and were flying an NDB approach I would say nice job marginally done.... but with all the tools they had available to them... that was one schiesse of an approach... of course this my opinion

I can't imagine if he would have gone missed again with that kind of descent and having to pull back up while in the clouds what kind of Somatogravic Illusion that would create. That one is always the toughest vestibular illusion for me to get over when I'm in the weather.

Said his GPSS was out I think

That shouldn't matter. He can still fly an LPV just fine, the same way it can fly an ILS.

That said, I never let the autopilot shoot an approach that matters on an old bird like that. The old Cessna 400 autopilots... meh.

Is it possible this guy is just a really good troll?

That shouldn't matter. He can still fly an LPV just fine, the same way it can fly an ILS.

That said, I never let the autopilot shoot an approach that matters on an old bird like that. The old Cessna 400 autopilots... meh.

No idea about his systems, just what he said right as he flicked the AP off.

What was the comment about the phone number? Was that to cancel on the ground, or had he already busted in some other way?

No idea about his systems, just what he said right as he flicked the AP off.

He put some money into the panel with the GTN 750 and G600 TXi, but I don't think any good modern autopilot is available for the early 414s yet.

I really don't understand why this guy keeps on posting videos on the internet that show his poor skill set and decision making. When he did the synthetic vision zoom towards the end of the video, it showed him half scale deflection and the glide slope was at full deflection. At least he was above it and not below it, I suppose, but still. He's not correcting any of that. Shows 1900 FPM down on VSI as he dives for the runway from an LPV, which is not at all stabilized. I can forgive the fact that he didn't go around at minimums and busted them by 50 feet and attribute that to the couple second delay, but he wasn't even close to lined up with the runway when he got to that. Then he decided to do that dive approach to a 3500 ft runway. The 414 is a brick and that's what saved him, but he didn't touch down until what looked like halfway down...

That approach would not have passed a checkride or an IPC, at least not with me.

I could go easier if it was an LNAV to mins like what I had the other day going into DWH. I was the last plane to make it in (no LPV in the MU-2) and basically saw the runway at the MAP, which was more or less the end of the runway. So yeah, it wasn't entirely pretty getting on the ground, but non-precision approaches to mins are more that way. When shooting a precision approach you've got an easy glide path if you follow it.

:sigh:

From his comments at the end, I think he couldn’t use the AP because he turned it off. Heh. No one died, but I do believe a couple pairs of shorts were likely soiled beyond recovery. ;)
His passenger was treating him like a rock star after the landing. Lord knows I wouldn’t have

He put some money into the panel with the GTN 750 and G600 TXi, but I don't think any good modern autopilot is available for the early 414s yet.

I really don't understand why this guy keeps on posting videos on the internet that show his poor skill set and decision making. When he did the synthetic vision zoom towards the end of the video, it showed him half scale deflection and the glide slope was at full deflection. At least he was above it and not below it, I suppose, but still. He's not correcting any of that. Shows 1900 FPM down on VSI as he dives for the runway from an LPV, which is not at all stabilized. I can forgive the fact that he didn't go around at minimums and busted them by 50 feet and attribute that to the couple second delay, but he wasn't even close to lined up with the runway when he got to that. Then he decided to do that dive approach to a 3500 ft runway. The 414 is a brick and that's what saved him, but he didn't touch down until what looked like halfway down...

That approach would not have passed a checkride or an IPC, at least not with me.

I could go easier if it was an LNAV to mins like what I had the other day going into DWH. I was the last plane to make it in (no LPV in the MU-2) and basically saw the runway at the MAP, which was more or less the end of the runway. So yeah, it wasn't entirely pretty getting on the ground, but non-precision approaches to mins are more that way. When shooting a precision approach you've got an easy glide path if you follow it.

:sigh:
He doesn’t seem to think there’s anything wrong with what he’s doing. He seems to think he’s awesome.

His passenger was treating him like a rock star after the landing. Lord knows I wouldn’t have
Earlier in that vid that passenger had a lot of questions about when ATC would step in and not allow you to do the approach.
That “cowboy” mentality is what really is scary.

He doesn’t seem to think there’s anything wrong with what he’s doing. He seems to think he’s awesome.

Yes, that is very clear in his videos. Unfortunately a lot of commenters agree, I think his followers are mostly students who don't know better. To be fair, he does explain things in a clear manner (even thought he's often wrong). The presentation of the material is good, it's just that he's presenting bad info. The guy who was flying with him seemed to think he did awesome, and I'm guessing was either not a pilot or didn't have much good knowledge/experience.

I've got a theory that 90% of NTSB reports are people who, if you flew with them before they crashed, you'd go "Well, I can't say I'm surprised." People who show a lack of skill coupled with a lack of sound decision making. Not everyone can fly like Bob Hoover, and that's fine so long as they know it. I've never tried to roll a twin with both engines shut down (or with both engines running, for that matter).

The other 10% are people who it astounds you, and it was just their day or some number of factors that came together.

Yes, that is very clear in his videos. Unfortunately a lot of commenters agree, I think his followers are mostly students who don't know better. To be fair, he does explain things in a clear manner (even thought he's often wrong). The presentation of the material is good, it's just that he's presenting bad info. The guy who was flying with him seemed to think he did awesome, and I'm guessing was either not a pilot or didn't have much good knowledge/experience.

I've got a theory that 90% of NTSB reports are people who, if you flew with them before they crashed, you'd go "Well, I can't say I'm surprised." People who show a lack of skill coupled with a lack of sound decision making. Not everyone can fly like Bob Hoover, and that's fine so long as they know it. I've never tried to roll a twin with both engines shut down (or with both engines running, for that matter).

The other 10% are people who it astounds you, and it was just their day or some number of factors that came together.
Gee....so the whole dead foot thingy was wrong? :confused:

I've got a theory that 90% of NTSB reports are people who, if you flew with them before they crashed, you'd go "Well, I can't say I'm surprised."

I've flown with two separate people who ended their lives in the left seat. Other than the shock of their passing, I was not shocked at the way they went out.

Reactions: Ted

Well many people would have said the same about Bob Hoover

I mean I can only imagine the hate that guy in the video would have got if instead he was doing low level aerobatics in said piston twin

As my father use to say...."too dumb to know any better.... bless their little head..."

Earlier in that vid that passenger had a lot of questions about when ATC would step in and not allow you to do the approach.
That “cowboy” mentality is what really is scary.

Controllers correct me if I'm wrong, but Part 91 you're allowed to try the approach. This isn't a bad thing. Sometimes the AWOS/ASOS/ATIS is wrong. It's also good practice to shoot approaches to a missed. For example, on Friday I was going to CXO and it was reporting 1/8SM FG VV002. Approach knew I was going to go missed, I knew I was going to go missed. Tower maybe wasn't sure. But the reason I did the approach wasn't because I thought I would get in, it was because I wanted the practice of doing a real ILS to missed. It was a good experience.

The decision making is in understanding when you likely won't get in, and understanding that's fine, you go somewhere else.

Back