How not to afford personal flying

75k is maybe 4k per month in take-home pay?

My friend who lives in NYC has a TINY one bedroom apartment and its $3500/month

Earlier this year my only brother was just about to retire when boom, he dropped dead from a cardiac arrest. I have always been pretty conservative in my life choices, but it sure opened my eyes. If you want to do something, then you had better get off your butt and do it. Sometimes you've just gotta say what the f***.

I get it that many don't want to live in NYC but that is his choice. I'm sure many New Yorkers can't understand why people live in BFE. He wants to live in an expensive location rather than taking flying lessons. So? I would says he's doing a good job at making his own choices rather than doing what strangers on a message board think he should do.

I get it that many don't want to live in NYC but that is his choice. I'm sure many New Yorkers can't understand why people live in BFE. He wants to live in an expensive location rather than taking flying lessons. So? I would says he's doing a good job at making his own choices rather than doing what strangers on a message board think he should do.

He's alright just that his story doesn't add up. Interesting to see so many YOLO responses pilots are usually more conservative saver/planners. I guess the ego dig of the guy giving up flying stirred folks up.

Your living arrangements would be similar to a WWII submarine.

Been there. Done that. Left.

Friends in NYC thought I was crazy to leave. Numerically, I make a touch less now than I did in NYC, but I'm making out like a bandit. I can easily afford to fly 10-20 hours a month now.:yes:

He's 35, has 1.2 mil, goes overseas once a year to stay in budget hotels and walk around museums with his girlfriend and still doesn't have his pilot's license.

What a loser :rolleyes:

His girlfriend will be leaving him for a pilot soon. LOL.

75k is maybe 4k per month in take-home pay?

My friend who lives in NYC has a TINY one bedroom apartment and its $3500/month

This seems to be what a lot of people miss in their math when they live in really expensive places to reside and get reasonable housing.

They don't notice that the folks in "BFE" keep a much higher percentage of their income, even if the income is lower.

They also don't pay much attention to the full picture of the taxation done in a particular area before they move there, and don't plan well for the NET result on their wallets.

[Edit: Those sentences suck. I must need to either go get some sleep or go make a stiff cocktail and put down the iPhone. Haha. You get the idea ...]

Frugality sucks in my opinion but it is a delicate balance between saving and spending. You don't want to spend all of your money and not have any left for retirement. Ask some of the Walmart employees!

The enemy to savers is inflation and a decrease in the value of the dollar. Some people believe that 1 Million is a lot of money but depending on where you live it's not a lot at all, you will out live your money in some places.

But he probably doesn't want to, which is the point. The true New Yorker doesn't believe the rest of the world exists, other than for vacation purposes. New York is the center of the universe.

Nah,

Not me, I left a long time ago but I use New York as a tourist destination. Pizza, Pastrami Sandwiches and Bagels are to die for!

But going over a toll bridge, (GW to be exact) and spending 14 dollars and messing up my tires going over the same potholes for over 20 years is not my cup of tea!

Back