How much time before twins?

This much I can tell you, however. If you ever suffer a lateral upset in a Cessna twin, immediately pull power to idle, throw out all the drag and don't worry about losing gear doors and that stuff. You have a very short time to stabilize the airplane before the spiral dive starts, at which time it is unrecoverable, the 6G forces render you unconscious and you will splatter like a bug on a windshield. Our plane was traveling in excess of 300 knots when it hit the ground 87* nose down. They had already picked up the big pieces when I arrived at the scene, so I mostly picked up fingers and toes, rings, watches and other personal effects.

Good advice that I will take to the bank.

I've been living with this deal and the ongoing issues with his kids for 24 years, so it's old hat to me. We still don't know what happened, and won't ever know.

This much I can tell you, however. If you ever suffer a lateral upset in a Cessna twin, immediately pull power to idle, throw out all the drag and don't worry about losing gear doors and that stuff. You have a very short time to stabilize the airplane before the spiral dive starts, at which time it is unrecoverable, the 6G forces render you unconscious and you will splatter like a bug on a windshield. Our plane was traveling in excess of 300 knots when it hit the ground 87* nose down. They had already picked up the big pieces when I arrived at the scene, so I mostly picked up fingers and toes, rings, watches and other personal effects.
.......eeecccch..... the last time I had that reaction was when I saw the F104 guy whose pressure suit had failed in the ballistic arc....:no:

My impression of the 337 is that like the single engine Cessnas it evolved from it flies like a truck but is otherwise an OK airplane. .

It flies just like a 182 that does 200 kias at 20,000' in pressurized airconditioned comfort hauling 750lbs with full fuel over the horizon burning 24gph. Both my 182 and P337 are soundproofed and I can't tell much difference in noise levels with headsets on. Having spent 10 hours in the sim at RTC I never had a problem flying the plane on 1 engine. The owner of RTC owns one and He thinks its the safest plane ever made. It has a 16,000' single engine ceiling and stalls at 48kias with the STOL kit. Decision making on takeoff is easy below blue line (89 KIAS) you stop...above you can go at 400fpm single engine climb rate and your back to being just like a 182. It also has the benefit of people throwing rocks at it which keeps the prices low so people like me can afford it.:goofy:I also like its Warbird heritage and it's easy to find on the ramp amid all the Cirrus's. BTW my rear engine runs cooler than my front.:dunno:

Attachments

• 337inflight.jpg
    337inflight.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
To the OP:

I'm a fairly low time ME pilot and I own an Aero Commander 520 from 1953. Vintage twin. People thought I was crazy buying a twin as a first aircraft, but why not? I got my multi ticket earlier this year. No instrument rating yet. To date we've done two major cross country flights and numerous shorter flights in California, and I've probably put close to 100hrs on her since the early summer.

It was trouble getting insured, but after turning to AOPA's Insurance Agency they were able to help me find an underwriter that accepted me and the plane. They wanted 15hrs instruction in type and 1hr recurring each year, which considering, is very reasonable I think.

Last edited:
To the OP:

I'm a fairly low time ME pilot and I own an Aero Commander 520 from 1953. Vintage twin. People thought I was crazy buying a twin as a first aircraft, but why not? I got my multi ticket earlier this year. No instrument rating yet. To date we've done two major cross country flights and numerous shorter flights in California, and I've probably put close to 100hrs on her since the early summer.

It was trouble getting insured, but after turning to AOPA's Insurance Agency they were able to help me find an underwriter that accepted me and the plane. They wanted 15hrs instruction in type and 1hr recurring each year, which considering, is very reasonable I think.
Congrats on your bird!

I had briefly kicked around the idea of going straight to twins, but the reality is that until my house is paid off I really can't afford to feed/maintain a twin. I can afford to fly my 182 whenever I feel like it.

And yeah, insurance for low-time ME is a female dog. I actually got a quote while I was still in the kicking around phase, sticker shock doesn't even begin to describe it.

That's why I'm happily building time in my 182 now. I figure that in a few years I'll either no longer feel the need to buy a twin or at least I'll be insurable at better rates in a twin. Either way, I'll have lots of fun!

Morne, keep in mind there is a reason for those rates. With the insurance company it is not personal, just business

That's why I'm happily building time in my 182 now. I figure that in a few years I'll either no longer feel the need to buy a twin or at least I'll be insurable at better rates in a twin. Either way, I'll have lots of fun!
Sorry if I missed it, but did you ever answer the question about why you feel the need to buy a twin?

Sorry if I missed it, but did you ever answer the question about why you feel the need to buy a twin?
No, I didn't. Frankly, I don't want to sit around and argue that point.

The good news for anybody who wants to buy one is that you won't need to worry about somebody else beating you to it.

Back