How much power do vacuum pumps use?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Ok, so I have a 67 Comanche 260B with a 260hp IO-540.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but....

We are replacing our vacuum system with dual Garmin G5’s. Previously, we had two vacuum pumps connected to accessory ports on the engine. By removing these, will we see any noticeable power increase, or is it totally negligible?

Depends on whether you've been running the flux capacitor lean of peak or not.

This may be a touch apples to oranges, but the vacuum pumps that HVAC techs use move a lot more air, and pull deeper vacuum on 1/2 HP electric motors. I'd be surprised if you free up 1/2 HP between the two.

Be certain your vac pumps are not involved in other systems like de-ice before you remove them.

Ok, so I have a 67 Comanche 260B with a 260hp IO-540.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but....

We are replacing our vacuum system with dual Garmin G5’s. Previously, we had two vacuum pumps connected to accessory ports on the engine. By removing these, will we see any noticeable power increase, or is it totally negligible?
No.....you won't notice any extra climb power.

I think if anything it's the weight reduction that will have the largest impact.

Thanks. That’s what I thought, but just wanted to check.

I will say, it does simplify things in the engine compartment a bit. :)

If the exhaust port is pointed down you’ll lose a little climb rate if you remove the pump.

For the humor impaired: this post is a joke. It is not intended to have any meaning beyond humor neither express nor implied.

The power draw is minimal. The loss of weight will be more noticeable, but even that will be minimal.

The biggest thing you'll notice is the lack of funds heading out to replace the bastards every so often. And the slightly lighter feeling you get not monitoring a testy vacuum gauge.

If the exhaust port is pointed down you’ll lose a little climb rate if you remove the pump.

For the humor impaired: this post is a joke. It is not intended to have any meaning beyond humor neither express nor implied.

Leave the pumps in, with their discharges pointing down, and install forward-facing tubes and connect them to the suction side of the pumps. Go faster and keep the extra climb rate.

Whatever you gain by not having the vacuum pumps you'll lose in the alternator making more electricity to power the G5's.

Whatever you gain by not having the vacuum pumps you'll lose in the alternator making more electricity to power the G5's.

The weight of electrons needed for the G5s would be my concern. Think about what that is going to do with not only the W&B, but the useful load!

I did the calculation when I went from 1,000 watts worth of landing lights to 138, and I figured that gave me an extra 2/3 of a knot or something like that. :rofl:

Back