How much do you tip for a haircut?

I'm happy, because even though I can see retirement coming within the next decade, I feel like a youngster compared to this group.

About six years ago I started going to the nearby Sport Clips and was generally tipping about 25% of the bill, but then I found this tri-fold mirror at Walmart (Similar to this one: https://amzn.to/3AB9MQQ ) and for the last year and a half have been pretty happy with the results cutting my own hair, so no more drain on the wallet, and I can do it as often as I want for less time since I don't have to drive!

Everyone gets $5.00 unless they suck.

I shave my head, so I am saving the cost+$5...

The lady that cuts my hair gave me my first hair cut. She no longer takes my money. Instead she asks for honey and whatever wild game most recently was put in my freezer.

She wants me to date one of her daughters...I'm not the one that needs convincing.
Be careful mixing business with pleasure, or whatever. In high school I dated a girl whose father was a barber. She talked me into getting a haircut from him. It was the last haircut I got from him. I knew from the instant that clipper hit my scalp something bad was gonna happen. Took months for it to grow back.

Last edited:
So you were dating the daughter and got a bad haircut from the dad....... hmmmmm....

Sounds like revenge for a bad date to me.... :lol:
Quite the opposite. It was flagrant concupiscence that rightfully annoyed him. I’m lucky it was only my hair that was cut short.

Had a barber I was going to for years. The shop charged $16 for a cut, I handed him $20 and we were both happy. Then I called and he'd moved on, nobody knew where. The other barbers in that shop were a******s, so I tried several other barber shops. Got poor results every time. Out of desperation I finally tried Sport Clips. Got a near perfect cut, so I go only when that woman is working. She remembers how I like it cut (I'm sure it's in their system). The shop charges $24, I tip another 5. And that reminds me, I need a haircut.

Mine runs just under $20, I give them $25.

One time in Alaska I needed a haircut. So I took a trip to Anchorage hoping to do some shopping and get my haircut. I went to the mall knowing there were a few places there that cuts hair. All were full but recommended the barber school at the far end of the mall. I went there, and the gentleman asked me if he could help me. I asked if I could get my haircut. He said sure, the girls are outside taking a smoke break and will be back in a minute or so.

A few minutes later a rough looking but not unattractive girl came in and said follow me, so I did. She sat me in a chair and asked me how I wanted my hair cut and I told her. She went to work cutting, and proceeded to rub her breast on me, shoulder to shoulder, ears and all.

I am thinking, well, she is really working for a tip. Then I noticed a sign on the wall saying ''Improper behavior will not be tolerated''.
Improper behavior by who is what I am thinking.

After that I went to the grocery store to pick up some supplies. Being Monday I also picked up a few newspapers. After getting home, I see a article in the paper about how Anchorage Police and the barber school are working together to train former hookers to work a different trade...

Your Alaska stories always deliver.

:D

Last edited:
Back