How many times do you correct your tail number before giving up.

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by cowman, May 7, 2017.

1. danhagan

danhagan Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    danhagan
    My last 3 digits are 630 which they like to change to 360. Was caught off guard once near my own Class C when ATC addressed me as American 360. I get "November", "Grumman" or "Tiger" 99% of the time so thought that call was for an airliner:confused:. We got it fixed fast ....

2. mkosmo

mkosmo Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    mkosmo
    Other than Uniform becoming Unicorn, I got lucky with my tail number. 1236U just rolls off the tongue.

3. Datadriver

Datadriver Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Datadriver
    Dyslexics of the world UNTIE

denverpilot likes this.
  4. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Gary Larson is brilliant. Haha. Love that cartoon.

5. Sundancer

Sundancer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sundog
    I flew for a volunteer org, and all our aircraft call signs started with "CAP 18xx"; there were four or five of us in the pattern, or inbound, to KHGR one day. Tower lost his mind. Hearing the cluster eff in-bound, I reverted to my airplane's N number on initial call-up.

6. simtech

simtech Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    Was flying the other day and tower kept calling me 37Z...I am 37L. I kept correcting on my call but she just kept calling me 37Z. I thought about not responding anymore to see if that might fix it but then thought...nah it's not worth it. Then they tried to shove me into a neighboring navy airspace. I got barked at because I wasn't maintaining the heading given and I politely said 37L can't current heading will put me in the navy airspace. She came back and said 37Z Roger once clear turn 090. Hahaha oh well good times

7. citizen5000

citizen5000 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    citizen5000
    Prolly written that way on her strip. Typo "L" looks like an "Z"

8. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Not buying it, unless FAA suddenly forgot to buy pens. Because we all know it's impossible to fix a flight strip. LOL.

9. bluerooster

bluerooster Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    shorty
    And it comes back as "Fifty-one, Eighty-five, Hotel".

10. Scrabo

Scrabo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scrabo
    With my accent, two is heard as 3 and 3 is heard as 2. Don't get me started on 8.

11. MAKG1

MAKG1 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    MAKG
    CAP always has that problem due to the way they allocate callsigns. It gets real fun at a large event where there might be 15 aircraft. I've been to two such events. Fresno controllers were flawless. SLO, not so much.

I had a fun time once flying CAP 481 with the glider tow pilot flying CAP 483. Both of us usually flew the other plane, so we used each other's callsigns more than once. Oops.

12. luvflyin

luvflyin En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Accent or not, thats a common one

13. colojo

colojo Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Colojo
    My Mooney's tail number is N3833T. Confused controllers more often than not, so I started saying, very slowly, "Mooney tree eight tree tree tango" and that seems to help.

14. Caramon13

Caramon13 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Romeo
    Had the same problem with zeros on my former tail number. N8045W. I'd get them thinking it was 8S45W or 8SW etc...come to think of it 8S45W doesn't even make sense.... silly Atc..

15. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    They always confuse mine, 5660U thinking its 566SU even through I emphasize the ZEE-ROW. The problem is that I fly out of Tucson all the time and I KNOW most of the controllers who work there and they know me and the plane I fly. I've reserved N962TM for my RV-7. Can't wait until I can start using it.

16. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    "Foo tower, three three one two uniform is a bonanza 10 miles east of lake chalet, with hotel, inbound for landing"
    "Banana tree one two tree unicorn, make lake chalet arrival, cleared to land, number 2, for one six"

in COMPLETE fairness, I've screwed up far more calls as a pilot than erroneous calls from ATC that I've had to correct.

i did have a guy last weekend insist that I was eight six Juliet, despite calling that I was nine six Juliet probably 5 times during our communication as I approached, landed and taxied. Great controller though, very helpful, as most are, at a little contract D.

17. chemgeek

chemgeek Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    chemgeek
    I have to correct my tail number almost every handoff. For some deep neurological reason, controllers often refer to 59L as 95L. It's like a standing bet that our first callup will be read back wrong. And you can say five-niner and it still comes back niner-five. Go figure. If I was one number higher or lower I bet it wouldn't be a problem.And my previous plane also had nines and fives which were eternally confused. Sigh.

Cheers,

18. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Someone just based another Cessna at our home 'drome ending in Niner Seven Mike, and we're Seven Niner Mike.

The new Cessna must fly a lot (I've heard it up a couple of times when we were also up) and it's stuck in the controller's heads...

I've had to make multiple tail number corrections now every time I've flown in the last couple of months. Sometimes even after correcting Ground they're either writing it on the strip wrong or the next controller is just stuck in the same way, and the takeoff clearance (we get sequenced to the hold line and "monitor tower" 100% of the time) is jacked up, too. So you're correcting the tail number while getting moving (since we have the main runway closed right now and it's a zoo) -- a lovely setup for a distraction and a problem. I go on full red alert double-checking everything while fussing with correcting the controller.

Guess I need to figure out what airplane it is and when it typically flies and go taxi out at the exact same time to get the lightbulb to go on up in Tower-land. Haha.

Starting to get annoying. Really annoying.

19. Caramon13

Caramon13 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Romeo
    Seems to me we need another way to say ZEE-ROW, or another identifier for S.... Depending on the transmission quality, coffee level of the controller and a whole host of other factors, ZEE-ROW often comes across as Sierra.

20. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    On the way down to DC Monday I heard ATC talking to another plane with a tail number starting with 828, and also to another juliet tango that didn't start with 828. Things got a little confusing when, after a handoff, a controller insisted on calling me eight-two-juliet since that was exactly when the other 828 was being given instructions.

I probably should have, but didn't, explicitly correct the controller. I just replied with my full, correct call sign and hoped she would realize her mistake. Fortunately she got it right on about the third try.

21. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    "Ser-roh" usually works.

22. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    "Zed"? "Nil"? "Nada"? "Love" (tennis players only)?

o_O

denverpilot likes this.
  23. Harold Rutila

Harold Rutila Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Harold Rutila
    You could possibly make a letter of agreement with the tower that allows you to call yourself something snazzy like some of the bigger flight schools. Maybe even extend the agreement to include the approach control, too.

24. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    I vote naught.

25. Dave S.

Dave S. Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    thetexan
    Exactly!!! Never, Never, Never just acquiesce because the controller can't do his job. Politely, at first, then as forcibly as necessary, MAKE the controller use the correct call sign.

For example, "approach, you keep calling me N12345 and my call sign is N1235C. And if that doesn't get the point across say "Approach, you keep calling the wrong call sign and that is dangerous. I am N1235C!".

ATC is not the only ones driving the train. We are part of a team effort WHICH INCLUDES YOU THE PILOT.

tex

26. upstateny

upstateny Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now in SW Florida
    There's another aircraft in my area with the same last three digits. When we're both in the air at the same time and ATC starts to abbreviate N numbers for time, I always have to ask which one they're talking to.

27. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    I don't know what the ATC rules say, but common sense says they should NOT be abbreviating call signs when they're working two different aircraft whose abbreviated call signs are identical.

Velocity173 likes this.
  28. upstateny

upstateny Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now in SW Florida
    In all fairness, I think it's a matter of one of us being up first and ATC gets into a pattern. When the other shows up, they don't recognize the problem right away.

29. Lindberg

Lindberg Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lindberg
    Cessna 170. N170SL.

I guess I'll include the N.

30. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    If that were to happen in my pattern, one of you would be Jim and the other Bob +last three digits.

31. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Better yet is when they can't seem to get the aircraft type correct. In one trip alone I was called a Cherokee, Arrow, Seneca, and a Mooney??!

32. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    "Slow-assed airplane 123 Foxtrot Uniform... turn left heading..."

33. mcdewey

mcdewey Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    mcdewey
    I went to a NATCA forum at Oshkosh and the controllers there said specifically to retry until the call sign was right.