How many time have you hit your head in one flight?

How many time in one flight have you hit your head?

• 5+

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • 1-2

Votes: 14 42.4%

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
Friday night while I was heading to Houston from Louisiana.........

There were small T-Storm cells all over the place & growing in size & numbers quickly. Just about the time I was passing the Dasetta VOR I felt like I hit a truck & the plane went down & my head went up & hit the plane hard. Thank God my lightspeeds have a big head pad. This has happened to me at least once before in all the planes I have owned, but I didn't expect it to happen in the Caravan. There is at least 12-18 in head room & the plane is usually rock stable at 4850 empty weight, 1200 lbs of fuel & 1000 lbs cargo.

Well in the short 20 miles from there to Houston it happened twice more. When I got to Houston & opened the cargo door, My boxes were scattered all the over the place. I saw a lot of fragile stickers on the boxes... Oh well, Sorry :)

Eamon :coaster: :coaster:

Last edited:
Better snug that belt a little more Eamon! Maybe a helmet?

hey what was your answer to the mins Q last week?

Funny you mention it.

I just got back from Tucson and there was an airmet for moderate turbulence. I told the pax to buckle up tight and that it was most likely going to be a very bumpy flight.

They are experienced travelers and the light to moderate chop didn't bother them. The woman in the back took her seat belt off (unknown to me)...and it seemed ok.

As we were about to clear the last mountain range (in clear air) I felt a little tap on the nose. I knew we were about to take a pasting. I pulled off about 15 inches and braced.

Sure enough, the bottom fell out. We fell 250 feet in what felt like less than a second.

I heard her scream through the intercom and her whole body floated up and she hit her head.

Before she could get her belt back on it happened again.

That part of flying just sucks.

Eamon said:
My boxes were scattered all the over the place. I saw a lot of fragile stickers on the boxes... Oh well, Sorry :)

EamonQUOTE]

So! That explains why my Riedel wine glasses arrived in such a state! Can I get the name of your manager please?

Eamon said:
My boxes were scattered all the over the place. I saw a lot of fragile stickers on the boxes... Oh well, Sorry :)

Eamon

So! That explains why my Riedel wine glasses arrived in such a state! Can I get the name of your manager please?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Better snug that belt a little more Eamon! Maybe a helmet?

hey what was your answer to the mins Q last week?

RVR seems to be king.

Many times on take off in Houston I will have to taxi to the other side of the airport to get to a runway with better RVR.

The fog around here is funny in that it will sit on one side or the other of the airport. 15 RVR will be 5000 & 33 will be 1800.

Eamon

That was a Takeoff question? I thought you asked if you could commence the approach.

In flight - not so many times...

In preflight once, however, I did hit my head on both flaps, the pitot tube, and one of the struts.

I almost walked away from that flight, citing a bad omen.

Last edited:
Other than bumping my head against the window occasionally, nothing in flight that I recall.

Preflight occasionally. Especially when washing/waxing the plane = Super Klutz.
Several cessna diamonds. Cherokee pitot tubes too many times. Tie down rings. Assorted bottom surfaces of things. Trailing edge of props. Cowling tried to eat me once. Stood up in the cherokee right seat real quick with the door open, didn't quite clear the upper door frame - BONK.

Let'sgoflying! said:
That was a Takeoff question? I thought you asked if you could commence the approach.
You got it. It was a ILS app question. I was just giving more info & it sparked another question I was thinking about which I just posted :)

Eamon

Shoot, me pilot, me no count that big so me wear helmet...bit too late me think:dance:

Afternoon flying in the Carolinas in the summertime I've hit my head a few times. Cranked down on the seatbelt a little tighter and slowed the plane down.

I don't think I've ever hit my head during flight but I've gotten a few bumps from the leading edge of my wing both before and after a flight. I'm a little over six feet tall and I have a Cardinal. The wings on the Cardinal are a bit lower than other Cessna aircraft. Thank God and the Cessna designers that the Cardinal does not have those diamond shaped thingies on the flaps or ailerons.

being tall can be great when reaching for something on the top shelf but it can be painful bumping into things too.

Jeannie

Last edited:
I've gotten several bumps on the head while flyin; maybe that's why there are so many typos in my posts now!!

When I wore Lightspeed headsets, there wasn't much room between my head and the headliner above (now I know why it's called that!!). Several times in medium chop my head would test the padding above. Several times, I thought I'd put a little more padding up there. Passed under a King Air one day and came out of the seat a few moments later.

With the Bose Xs, don't recall a head bump. Maybe with all the past bumps I don't remember the new ones, but there is more clearance above and the headset does make a difference. My seats are padded in the A-36 and we sit a little taller; so, that's also a factor. As one approaches 60, headbumps get more difficult to recall.

Best,

Dave

Welcome to the Gulf Coast.

You'll learn to keep a close eye on the temp-dewpoint spread. As you note, the fog will be strange, too, as it will be above mins in one place and below in others. There are also times where you'll see the runway lights on final, but tower will still call RVR below mins.... you find out why after you get down. BTDT

When I was learning on the T-6 a few (many) moons ago, my instructor's favorite pastime was, after flying instruments for an hour, tell you to come out from under the hood, light up, and relax. Then he would do a vicious snap roll, bouncing your head off the canopy rails, and then say (while inverted, or whatever) - you got it! Tough love, but after 6 months of that, I felt like I could recover from any situation.

I was eastbound on a final glide in a sailplane about 30 or 40 miles SW of Chicago in clear smooth air. I was doing about 100 kts which is pretty fast in a glider, but I had altitude to burn. Fat, dumb and happy I hit a very invisible lake effect "cold front" pushing inland from Lake Michigan. My head hit the canopy hard, and I went into some pretty violent PIOs (pilot induced oscillations) as gliders are quite unstable in pitch. This was many years ago but was something I'll never forget. From that point on I kept a very tight grip on the stick when I was flying fast!

Hit my head several times on some killer soaring flights in Marfa, TX. This was during climb to cloudbase around 12,000. In March, there were thermals going up at 800 FPM, in the summer, it is unbelievable!!

Golly, that's a hard one... but it depends a lot on who I'm flying with.

Back